Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

can where you come from in the uk make a difference

can where you come from in the uk make a difference

Old Dec 9th 2006, 12:30 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can where you come from in the uk make a difference

I was from Bristol when I moved over to Australia the first time and now West London the 2nd time. I am in Joondalup where practically every 2nd person you meet is British. National Bank lady - Scottish, Centrelink lady - English, loads of British people

I am having a harder time here than my partner and I moved back to be closer to my family! Had a good cry today! I just miss money (not that we ever had heaps of the stuff) but I want to go out for a pint and a chinese but I cannot afford to. So I sit at home day in and day out and apply for jobs and wait for the phone to ring....

I really cannot wait to be working again!!!!
Old Dec 9th 2006, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
I have moved around a bit in the UK and I loved meeting new people, had an absolute ball. I made some extremely good friends in the various places I lived in. My son's Godparents are people who I met on my travels, and he has five because I had great difficulty choosing just two!

But here, it couldn't be more opposite - I had made friends in my usual way, but those people are certainly not my friends now, they never really were, just users and abusers. So that has made me very cautious, and I don't make any effort now to be friendly as I have been very badly let down here. I just stick to my Husband's relatives now and don't bother with "outsiders". And you know what, I am sure many here do the same, I could be wrong about that, but it does seem that way to me.

My second son who was born here in Australia, doesn't have any Godparents, as I cannot think of one single person here who I would ask. I have thought and thought about it, but no, I can't come up with a single soul.
Hi Rosie Cheeks

I think of a rule of thumb about family/friends/acquiantances and how my social situation is- and that is if I am in serious personal trouble this afternoon, it doesn't matter what, is there anyone I can ring up and chat with immediately and provide the support I need.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 12:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElshaUK
I was from Bristol when I moved over to Australia the first time and now West London the 2nd time. I am in Joondalup where practically every 2nd person you meet is British. National Bank lady - Scottish, Centrelink lady - English, loads of British people
I have no idea what this must be like - quite amusing probably. We really do not have theat sort of English integration here where we are. We really know of no Brits that we see regularly other than one family.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Orkney, Scotland bound for the Mornington Peninsula!
Barcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to all

We are moving to the outskirts of Melbourne and are hoping to find a different life from that we live in Orkney. Orkney is a small island community, which was recently recognised as being a place with one of the highest standards of living in the UK. My wife is Orcadian and has close family here, but the community can be a bit too close when you are either conspicuous or familiar.

It is an expensive place to get away from and we are isolated from all the cultural things that you find in cities. We have lived here as a couple for 11 years and do not make it to mainland UK more than once every couple of years. Orkney is a nice place but experiences are limited and we are looking for change and something new. We are hoping that we will have access to a lot of things in Melbourne that we would not find in Orkney. People on BE often complain about choice of shops etc. but I am sure for us it will be an improvement. We are also looking forward to the opportunity to make new friends.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

sarah34 has a brilliant futuresarah34 has a brilliant futuresarah34 has a brilliant futuresarah34 has a brilliant futuresarah34 has a brilliant futuresarah34 has a brilliant futuresarah34 has a brilliant future

What as happen with friends to you in oz is happen to me here in the uk, so i am hoping to get a better circle of friends in oz.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Im like a nomad and have moved around so much, i tend to find if we are posted to an area we dont like i cant wait to be moved again. But when i like somewhere i do find it hard to leave.

One thing i try to do is find out what familar things will be in our next place and look them out.

The way i look at it as long as i have, a gym some where for the kids to go, a good school and plenty of open spaces for the dog and kids to run wild then i will be happy. Ive learnt to be adaptable and flexible over what i think is important. So im hoping the when i finally get to Australia that as long as i expect some things to be the same and loads to be different that we will just get on with life.
Mandy

Last edited by geordie mandy; Dec 9th 2006 at 1:01 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

tony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nice

Originally Posted by aston man
i have often thought where you come from in england,can it make a difference how easy it is to fit in ,in oz.

for instance i live in brum and to be honest(sorry brummies),its not the best place in the u.k to live,so i would see that this can only make things easier for me..i would of thought
,,,now if i lived in the country side or by the sea.why would yopu go to oz?

being called a pom would be water off a ducks back for me.us brummies are used to people having a go..not many tv presenters from brum are there??
i wonder why...?

i once met a scouser and have spoken to others since and asked them what he told me,its flippin madness,,
he told me he did not consider himself english,more of a scouser..jeezus ,now i would say he would struggle...

cockneys,how would you go with out all those shops and entertainment..
thats why all the foreign football players like playing in the capitol..

geordies,how would you cope without newcastle united..

how many people would emigrate from Torquay..(flippin hell thats a hard word)?

well i think i am on to a winner being from brumm,..

any thoughts...???

When i lived in Oz in the past i was in Sydney and where i'll hopefully returning to. Being from London i need the buzz of a big city with plenty to do(all the sporting arenas, nightlife etc..). My friends who are resident/citizens are a cross of every city in the UK from London, Manchester, Glasgow, Scouceland even a couple of Brummies! + token Aussies!
I think rather than locatons, people are either city or rural. Sydney has excellent expat communitys especialy in the Bondi/Coogee areas. You have it all, the city 15mins away and the beach 5 mins walk!
I spent a bit of time in Melbourne(St Kilda) too which had a similar buzz.
Of course you miss the football and banter but they have sky tv downunder too. All premiership games are shown along with the comedy shows, little britian, borat, the office!
I'm not emigrating for a better life, just an alternative one. I love London and it will always be my home but for the next few years it has to be Sydney for me, London on sea -bit like Brighton with good weather!
As far as being accepted is concerned i never had a problem, yea you get all that pommie stuff but i just hit back with some wisecrack about convicts and captain cook only stopping for a sh*t! You got to remember the Aussies can be a very sarcastic bunch which is my sense of humour entirely and you shouldnt take anything to heart -just dig 'em back. As you say its only water off a ducks back.
Its probably diferant in the outside the citys. Rural Australia has always reminded me of the deep south of America. All rednecks, hillbilly boys and mullets. I can imagine how some may find that hostile.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 2:36 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barcop
We are moving to the outskirts of Melbourne and are hoping to find a different life from that we live in Orkney. Orkney is a small island community, which was recently recognised as being a place with one of the highest standards of living in the UK. My wife is Orcadian and has close family here, but the community can be a bit too close when you are either conspicuous or familiar.

It is an expensive place to get away from and we are isolated from all the cultural things that you find in cities. We have lived here as a couple for 11 years and do not make it to mainland UK more than once every couple of years. Orkney is a nice place but experiences are limited and we are looking for change and something new. We are hoping that we will have access to a lot of things in Melbourne that we would not find in Orkney. People on BE often complain about choice of shops etc. but I am sure for us it will be an improvement. We are also looking forward to the opportunity to make new friends.

hi there barcop,i know i am an old romantic,but i would love to live somewhere like where you are leaving,,

what do you think?would it be easier for a Englishman to fit in there or perth..?

it would be a hell of a move fitting in in Orkney ,harder than perth ,i think..?
Old Dec 9th 2006, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Orkney, Scotland bound for the Mornington Peninsula!
Barcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to all

hi there barcop,i know i am an old romantic,but i would love to live somewhere like where you are leaving,,

what do you think?would it be easier for a Englishman to fit in there or perth..?

it would be a hell of a move fitting in in Orkney ,harder than perth ,i think..?
It's not a question I could answer easily. I am an Englishman; I was working in the Shetland Islands when I met my wife and I moved with her to her homeland - Orkney. There is no denying that Orkney is a wonderful place , but I do not feel that it is a place I have or could ever really fit into. I think that to really belong you have to be able to prove that your ancesters evolved from creatures that crept out of the mud from Scapa Flow. It can be very much a local island for local people, but that is only my personal perception.

Incomers are treated differently, and I have encountered some prejudice for being English, despite my marrying an Orcadian, but nothing that has caused me any problems. It might even prove to be good experience when I move to Australia. I have never been to Perth, but I would think that the more cosmopolitan an area, the easier integration might be. Orkney is a very small community and I would suspect it might as you suggest be in some ways harder to integrate into than a large and diverse community.

All the best
Old Dec 9th 2006, 4:18 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

this is how I feel too, we are quite isolated 1 very expensive shop that only opens when it feels like it, a butchers and a pub. nearest decent supermarket 13 miles away. so I am hoping there will be more life where we are going.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 4:20 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a question I could answer easily. I am an Englishman; I was working in the Shetland Islands when I met my wife and I moved with her to her homeland - Orkney. There is no denying that Orkney is a wonderful place , but I do not feel that it is a place I have or could ever really fit into. I think that to really belong you have to be able to prove that your ancesters evolved from creatures that crept out of the mud from Scapa Flow. It can be very much a local island for local people, but that is only my personal perception.

Incomers are treated differently, and I have encountered some prejudice for being English, despite my marrying an Orcadian, but nothing that has caused me any problems. It might even prove to be good experience when I move to Australia. I have never been to Perth, but I would think that the more cosmopolitan an area, the easier integration might be. Orkney is a very small community and I would suspect it might as you suggest be in some ways harder to integrate into than a large and diverse community.

All the best
well i take my hay off to you,by the sound of it you will fit in easy when you get to oz...

take care mate and good luck to you and yours.

ast..
Old Dec 9th 2006, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Its not where you came from its what your life was like.

If you really do live in one of the hell hole areas of the UK on a low wage, an australian suburb might seem like a dream, probably like an upgrade off the set of corrie into desperate housewifes set.

People who find it hard usually had close family, close lifelong friends, or a very good lifestyle, plenty of spare cash, couple of OS trips a year, trade that for perth where its a 5 hour flight to the next big australian city, yes many people find that very hard after a while.

Plus wages, its not cheap to live here, sitting in the UK a drop in wages might be brushed off with everythings cheaper there, but its not. Bit hard for many who had spare cash for pubs O/S trips etc.

Family is obvious, is having a bigger house, more sun going to compensate for family, yes if your family suck, not if your close to them. And if you are close to them ( I know OP has said hes not) but if you are look into the cost of flying back to Uk on aussie wages , dont kid yourself on that one.

Another thing, people with younger kids seem to settle so much better than those with older kids who often have problems with settling and can be quite vocal about it. Try before you buy with older kids, too many assume australia will bring a better family life but end up with a teenager hell bent on moving back to the UK, many do too, painful to say the least if you had the family dream in mind.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Its not where you came from its what your life was like.

If you really do live in one of the hell hole areas of the UK on a low wage, an australian suburb might seem like a dream, probably like an upgrade off the set of corrie into desperate housewifes set.

People who find it hard usually had close family, close lifelong friends, or a very good lifestyle, plenty of spare cash, couple of OS trips a year, trade that for perth where its a 5 hour flight to the next big australian city, yes many people find that very hard after a while.

Plus wages, its not cheap to live here, sitting in the UK a drop in wages might be brushed off with everythings cheaper there, but its not. Bit hard for many who had spare cash for pubs O/S trips etc.

Family is obvious, is having a bigger house, more sun going to compensate for family, yes if your family suck, not if your close to them. And if you are close to them ( I know OP has said hes not) but if you are look into the cost of flying back to Uk on aussie wages , dont kid yourself on that one.

Another thing, people with younger kids seem to settle so much better than those with older kids who often have problems with settling and can be quite vocal about it. Try before you buy with older kids, too many assume australia will bring a better family life but end up with a teenager hell bent on moving back to the UK, many do too, painful to say the least if you had the family dream in mind.

What a good post
Mandy
Old Dec 9th 2006, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

i have often thought where you come from in england,can it make a difference how easy it is to fit in ,in oz.

for instance i live in brum and to be honest(sorry brummies),its not the best place in the u.k to live,so i would see that this can only make things easier for me..i would of thought
,,,now if i lived in the country side or by the sea.why would yopu go to oz?

being called a pom would be water off a ducks back for me.us brummies are used to people having a go..not many tv presenters from brum are there??
i wonder why...?

i once met a scouser and have spoken to others since and asked them what he told me,its flippin madness,,
he told me he did not consider himself english,more of a scouser..jeezus ,now i would say he would struggle...

cockneys,how would you go with out all those shops and entertainment..
thats why all the foreign football players like playing in the capitol..

geordies,how would you cope without newcastle united..

how many people would emigrate from Torquay..(flippin hell thats a hard word)?

well i think i am on to a winner being from brumm,..

any thoughts...???

I'm from Merseyside and like you, get ribbed all the time over my accent and to be quite frank I also get judged something wicked. Over here I feel like I have been accepted for me rather than the fact that my accent is scouse and I for one have happily given my all into Oz because of it.

I don't think that where you come from will make a difference but only in the sense that like yourself and other people will "different" accents who was used to getting the mickey taken out of us we will find getting called pom, whinging pom etc a walk in the park.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I have no idea what this must be like - quite amusing probably. We really do not have theat sort of English integration here where we are. We really know of no Brits that we see regularly other than one family.

Manly is like that also

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.