British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   can where you come from in the uk make a difference (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/can-where-you-come-uk-make-difference-412634/)

aston man Dec 9th 2006 8:20 am

can where you come from in the uk make a difference

i have often thought where you come from in england,can it make a difference how easy it is to fit in ,in oz.

for instance i live in brum and to be honest(sorry brummies),its not the best place in the u.k to live,so i would see that this can only make things easier for me..i would of thought
,,,now if i lived in the country side or by the sea.why would yopu go to oz?

being called a pom would be water off a ducks back for me.us brummies are used to people having a go..not many tv presenters from brum are there??
i wonder why...?

i once met a scouser and have spoken to others since and asked them what he told me,its flippin madness,,
he told me he did not consider himself english,more of a scouser..jeezus ,now i would say he would struggle...

cockneys,how would you go with out all those shops and entertainment..
thats why all the foreign football players like playing in the capitol..

geordies,how would you cope without newcastle united..

how many people would emigrate from Torquay..(flippin hell thats a hard word)?

well i think i am on to a winner being from brumm,..

any thoughts...???

Nomore Dec 9th 2006 8:26 am

Re: can where you come from in the uk make a difference

Originally Posted by aston man
i have often thought where you come from in england,can it make a difference how easy it is to fit in ,in oz.

for instance i live in brum and to be honest(sorry brummies)its not the best place in the u.k to live,so i would see that this can only make things easier for me..i would of thought,,,now if i lived in Devon by the see,perhaps it may be a little harder for me to adjust to oz.

being called a pom would be water off a ducks back for me.us brummies are used to people having a go..not many tv presenters from brum are there??
i wonder why...?
i once met a scousers and have spoken to others since and ask them what he told me,its flippin madness,,
he told me he did not consider himself english,more of a scouser..jeezus ,now i would say he would struggle...

cockneys,how would you do with out all those shops and entertainment..
thats why all the foreign football players like playing in the capitol..

how many people would emigrate from Torquay..(flippin hell thats a hard word)?

well i think i am on to a winner being from brumm,..

any thoughts...???

Birmingham is great! They love their Fried Chicken down there :p

But anyway,....yes i do believe it depends where you used to live in UK to settling in OZ.
If like me you were used to shops, shops, shops, pubs, clubs, busy, busy, madness...then OZ will be a tad boring.
If you come from the West country then OZ will be as beautiful as that but still something missing..
If you enjoy Beaches and surf then you'll love it.
Then again i can't speak for everyone so it doesn't matter what i think..but i think if you lived in a dump before you came then OZ will be a dream.

baglady Dec 9th 2006 9:07 am

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Birmingham is great! They love their Fried Chicken down there :p

But anyway,....yes i do believe it depends where you used to live in UK to settling in OZ.
If like me you were used to shops, shops, shops, pubs, clubs, busy, busy, madness...then OZ will be a tad boring.
If you come from the West country then OZ will be as beautiful as that but still something missing..
If you enjoy Beaches and surf then you'll love it.
Then again i can't speak for everyone so it doesn't matter what i think..but i think if you lived in a dump before you came then OZ will be a dream.

But Australia is actually very diverse. Where I live, I have actually got some shops nearby!! Blimey, I even think there might be a couple of pubs.

I think where you come from could be a factor, but so is why you are moving, how easy you are able to adjust to change, where you are moving too, who you are leaving behind, how positive you are about the move and so many other factors too.

esperanza Dec 9th 2006 9:15 am

It must be a combination of where you come from in the UK & where you end up in Oz. But also it's got to depend on what you like/dislike about where you come from, and your expectations for your new destination in Australia.

I come from the south-west, and I hope there won't always be 'something missing' - the one thing I am most hoping for the most is a warmer, sunnier climate, so I hope I won't be too disappointed once we get there!

toon williams Dec 9th 2006 10:00 am

Originally Posted by aston man
geordies,how would you cope without newcastle united..

Well it has been a HUGE factor in our emigration process!! :D :D

But now the OH knows that he can get the matches either via the internet or on the sports channels (forget which one) he is fine about it!! :rolleyes:

Worst case senario he will have his mate record the matches and email them over!! ;)

TraceyW Dec 9th 2006 10:01 am

Definitely.

If you like countryside, culture and history on your doorstep, well, don't bother with Perth! Oh, if you like nightlife, city buzz, great shopping...erm, don't come here either, this place is sleeeepy and laid back unless you live close to the city. ;)

If you love barbi's, beaches, clean streets and safe parks...come to Perth, they're all here by the shed load!

BadgeIsBack Dec 9th 2006 10:14 am

It does, lets look at a few examples:

If you move from a swanky little village in Dorset to a housing estate on the edge of Perth because you got a bit bored you will be basically *****ed.

If you move from Sath London, where people dump rubbish in the road outside your flat, and the cops turn up regularly to the flat below, to a few acres in a village not impossibly far from a thoroughly modern vibrant city of millions of people then you might be forgiven for thinking you've landed on your feet bigtime.

If you live in an average area in the UK move to an average area in Australia then you can look forward to a few 'lovely' novelties like dolphins and BBQs to replace the novelties of Tesco, and the BBC. Once these bore you then you may be *****ed too.

Yup.

Bordy Dec 9th 2006 10:24 am

I agree with all thats been said but I think it all depends on the expectations people have to.
We were quite lucky because we never thought of Oz until I was made redundant then applied & within 6 months had the visa & were gone so didn't have time to over research & think about this paradise we were coming to.

Just as well I guess because its exceeded any expectations.

Just before we left I was offered a job in Blackburn, never been there but I thought Blackburn or Melbourne, Hmmmm lets get on the plane.

Rosie Cheeks Dec 9th 2006 11:06 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
It does, lets look at a few examples:

If you move from a swanky little village in Dorset to a housing estate on the edge of Perth because you got a bit bored you will be basically *****ed.

Yup.

Why didn't you tell me this five years ago?

BadgeIsBack Dec 9th 2006 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
Why didn't you tell me this five years ago?

I was joking. No, actually I was being deathly serious. :cool:

I've only been on the forum 3.5 years and realised it myself this last 2.

Rosie Cheeks Dec 9th 2006 11:17 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I was joking. No, actually I was being deathly serious. :cool:

I've only been on the forum 3.5 years and realised it myself this last 2.

Yep, you don't know until you try it.

wheatsheaf42 Dec 9th 2006 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
Yep, you don't know until you try it.

One reason I would find it difficult is knowing no-one at all. This morning I went to our town centre to do a spot of Xmas shopping and met quite a few people I know and had a chat, including the mayor! Not that I am boasting or the like as its the circles you move in.
I would also miss the seasons. Today is just brilliant- sunny, if coolish weather. I come from the frozen north of Yorkshire originally and remember little but cold and wind. Must be my age. Later I am going to a local non-league football match and will meet a lot of people I know there too.

Though I like visiting where I grew up in the north I am happy I moved here so many years ago. It is a sort of emigration, even moving 200 miles rather than 12,000. With the internet these days and communications generally the world is that much smaller and you can keep up to date easily with events back "home".

esperanza Dec 9th 2006 11:45 am

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf42
One reason I would find it difficult is knowing no-one at all. This morning I went to our town centre to do a spot of Xmas shopping and met quite a few people I know and had a chat, including the mayor! Not that I am boasting or the like as its the circles you move in.
I would also miss the seasons. Today is just brilliant- sunny, if coolish weather. I come from the frozen north of Yorkshire originally and remember little but cold and wind. Must be my age. Later I am going to a local non-league football match and will meet a lot of people I know there too.

Though I like visiting where I grew up in the north I am happy I moved here so many years ago. It is a sort of emigration, even moving 200 miles rather than 12,000. With the internet these days and communications generally the world is that much smaller and you can keep up to date easily with events back "home".

It must be v hard for people who are used to knowing everyone to adapt to knowing noone. For me, and lots of my peers, we have all moved to new places for jobs/partners etc and have experience of starting a social life from scratch. We're also used to keeping in touch with friends from 'previous lives' who now live all over the country (and all over the world for that matter). I hope that this will make it easier for me to adjust to my new life in NSW.
I can't really imagine what it would be like to have lived in the same place all my life and know virutally everyone in the town - although I do have friends for whom this is true. I'm quite impatient though and like to move around and try new places and people - fingers crossed that will be a good thing for me in Oz!

Rosie Cheeks Dec 9th 2006 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf42

I have moved around a bit in the UK and I loved meeting new people, had an absolute ball. I made some extremely good friends in the various places I lived in. My son's Godparents are people who I met on my travels, and he has five because I had great difficulty choosing just two!

But here, it couldn't be more opposite - I had made friends in my usual way, but those people are certainly not my friends now, they never really were, just users and abusers. So that has made me very cautious, and I don't make any effort now to be friendly as I have been very badly let down here. I just stick to my Husband's relatives now and don't bother with "outsiders". And you know what, I am sure many here do the same, I could be wrong about that, but it does seem that way to me.

My second son who was born here in Australia, doesn't have any Godparents, as I cannot think of one single person here who I would ask. I have thought and thought about it, but no, I can't come up with a single soul.

northernbird Dec 9th 2006 12:16 pm

Yes it does make a difference. I also makes a difference what kind of social network you have. I have never in my 7 years of moving around the world understood why people with a great social network and people who see at least one member of their family every day would choose to emigrate, its beyond me.