Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

can where you come from in the uk make a difference

can where you come from in the uk make a difference

Old Dec 14th 2006, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can where you come from in the uk make a difference

Originally Posted by elmtree
There seem to be loads of people on here from London, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Newcastle, but very few ( if any ) from Cardiff, Edinburgh, Bristol, Plymouth, Aberdeen, Southampton; all of which are regarded as some of the best cities to live in in the UK.
There's a fair few of us from the Bristol area too - yes, there are lovely parts to the city but the over-crowding and gridlocks are horrendous.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

BertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond repute

we work in Edinburgh and live just outside it. Both originally from the west.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 12:47 am
Just had a book published

Brian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to behold

Well I didn't come to Sydney for a better life, just a different life. My wife's family live here, and she missed them and the climate, which is fair enough I suppose. However, I was fortunate enough to have many friends and a great social network at home, so the jury's still out for me as to whether I prefer it here or at home. So far, I've given it 18 months.

I lived in Twickenham, which is a nice enough area of London (though pricey), and I spent several years living in one of the nicer areas of Sheffield, and so I do miss that. Maybe if you come from an absolute dive or a dull place then you'll love it in Oz.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brian Clough down under
Well I didn't come to Sydney for a better life, just a different life. My wife's family live here, and she missed them and the climate, which is fair enough I suppose. However, I was fortunate enough to have many friends and a great social network at home, so the jury's still out for me as to whether I prefer it here or at home. So far, I've given it 18 months.

I lived in Twickenham, which is a nice enough area of London (though pricey), and I spent several years living in one of the nicer areas of Sheffield, and so I do miss that. Maybe if you come from an absolute dive or a dull place then you'll love it in Oz.
I like this post. I can definately relate to this and I agree with the conclusion.
Well put
Old Dec 15th 2006, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe if you come from an absolute dive or a dull place then you'll love it in Oz.
We didn't come from a dive or a dull place and we love Oz. But then we are lucky enough to have found the perfect spot for us and access to, IMHO, a fabulous, cosmopolitan, beautiful city.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 2:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I lived near Twickers. If I could afford to live in the borough I might still tbe there - but have found a new lifestyle here which I like.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

I grew up in Richmond which is a lovely area its by the Thames and there is Richmond Park and Wimbledon Common nearby, Kingston Upon Thames is down the road which is great for shopping etc etc, and its an extremely pricey area to live in these days. I moved to Ireland six years ago and I haven't missed it at all. Its nice to visit my parents for a holiday, but thats it. I like where I live in Ireland as well, (the only downside being the weather) but as nice as it is, I'd still rather live in Australia.

Dolly
Old Dec 15th 2006, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

mysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of light

We both grew up in the Herefordshire Marches although we lived in Birmingham / Solihull after uni ... we could have gone back there if we wanted or anywhere else in the UK for that matter - but we chose to move here and love it!

Nikki
xx
Old Dec 15th 2006, 8:50 pm
The Master of Disaster

iceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really nice

Originally Posted by mysnix
We both grew up in the Herefordshire Marches although we lived in Birmingham / Solihull after uni ... we could have gone back there if we wanted or anywhere else in the UK for that matter - but we chose to move here and love it!

Nikki
xx
Small world!!
My Grandparents lived in Meadowvale Road in Coromandel Valley