Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can a Three network phone work in Australia?

Can a Three network phone work in Australia?

Old Feb 11th 2008, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

krestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant future
Default Can a Three network phone work in Australia?

Hi

I see mobiles are pricey in oz.

we both have three network fones payg here in the uk, and wondered if we get a three sim from australian three.com.au will it work in the same handset?

we have been told that three handsets or rather our specific handsets cant be unlocked.

help
Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:24 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Can a Three network phone work in Australia?

Originally Posted by krestsaf
Hi

we both have three network fones payg here in the uk, and wondered if we get a three sim from australian three.com.au will it work in the same handset?

we have been told that three handsets or rather our specific handsets cant be unlocked.

help

Nope the 3 Au and 3 Uk are different networks according to the SIM card so if its locked its to 3 UK.
Phones here arent too bad. Also you can salary sacrifice them.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Get it unlocked before you leave and it should work but they are two different companies.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

bu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of light

three network phones work on the east coast and you can use your inclusive minutes as in your contract, however three does not operate on the west coast. Any queries dial 333 and ask operator.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 2:05 am
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bu1lder
three network phones work on the east coast and you can use your inclusive minutes as in your contract, however three does not operate on the west coast. Any queries dial 333 and ask operator.
This is wrong.

Three works in the main metropolitan areas in Australia and has roaming agreements with Telstra on GSM for outside of those areas. So its not the east coast or west coast, it cover cities (including perth) and this can be found at three.com.au.

If you bring a UK Three Mobile here you can use Three Like Home on three's network (bringing your rate plan with you) but not roaming on to Telstra GSM which I believe will charge international roaming rates. If you live here probably better to switch to an Oz mobile of some form tho.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 1:29 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bu1lder
Erm - 3 Works in Perth on 3G and then on 2G Telstra outside the Metro
Old Feb 18th 2008, 3:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silver
This is wrong.

Three works in the main metropolitan areas in Australia and has roaming agreements with Telstra on GSM for outside of those areas. So its not the east coast or west coast, it cover cities (including perth) and this can be found at three.com.au.

If you bring a UK Three Mobile here you can use Three Like Home on three's network (bringing your rate plan with you) but not roaming on to Telstra GSM which I believe will charge international roaming rates. If you live here probably better to switch to an Oz mobile of some form tho.
I have a feeling that if you use your UK 3 sim here it will be charged at international roaming rates even on 3 Aus network - I was talking to the 3 people about doing it in reverse and they were quite clear that the two were quite independent companies and it would be like using any other of the international carriers - international rates.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 4:20 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
I have a feeling that if you use your UK 3 sim here it will be charged at international roaming rates even on 3 Aus network - I was talking to the 3 people about doing it in reverse and they were quite clear that the two were quite independent companies and it would be like using any other of the international carriers - international rates.

Yes they are indeed two distinctly separate companies. I was with Three in the UK, and they were excellent. Here they are a joke. Don't expect the same level of customer service from them as you got back in the UK.

My advice is to head straight to Vodafone.

S
Old Feb 18th 2008, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by krestsaf
Hi

help
Hi Krestaf,
I have a Nokia 6680 which I got from 3. When I moved to Virgin the only place to get it unlocked was 3, cost about £25. There are a few 3 handsets that can only be unlocked by 3 and they HAVE to send you an unlock code that is linked to your handset if you request it, for example if you want to move to another provider. Don't bother with 'highstreet' unlockers or buy a program to do so from ebay, just go to 3 and request an unlock.

Johnnyyt
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 2:52 am
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

I think your feelings would be wrong try looking at www.three.co.uk
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 2:54 am
In melbourne

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Yes they are indeed two distinctly separate companies. I was with Three in the UK, and they were excellent. Here they are a joke. Don't expect the same level of customer service from them as you got back in the UK.

My advice is to head straight to Vodafone.

S
I had been with Voda since the 90's in the uk and started of with Voda here but switched to three. Found them to be fine and cause it roams on Telstra GSM much better coverage than voda in country areas.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 3:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think your feelings would be wrong try looking at www.three.co.uk
Looks like you are right! I could only wish that it were true in reverse - as far as they could tell me I would be charged the international rate which is on a par with 3's messaging outside the limit. I just buy a UK sim and payg which works out a whole lot cheaper. 3 here dont seem to realize that they have a close relationship with 3 o/s.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 2:01 am
In melbourne

Looks like you are right! I could only wish that it were true in reverse - as far as they could tell me I would be charged the international rate which is on a par with 3's messaging outside the limit. I just buy a UK sim and payg which works out a whole lot cheaper. 3 here dont seem to realize that they have a close relationship with 3 o/s.
Not entirely sure what you mean here. 3 like home is done both by three Oz and UK, three's own network here is metro only so if you have a UK sim you will pay roaming rates out of the city. When you are on a three network in either country you take your rate plan with you.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 2:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not entirely sure what you mean here. 3 like home is done both by three Oz and UK, three's own network here is metro only so if you have a UK sim you will pay roaming rates out of the city. When you are on a three network in either country you take your rate plan with you.
I think I need to talk to different chaps at my local 3 store - they told me that it would be international roaming charges because they were two different companies! They didnt mention the Just like home (or whatever it is called) I would love to know then if I bought a usb broadband would that be charged at my Aus plan rate if I used it on the UK network.

I am still with Optus and trying to find out what would be a good option because I am fed up with them. The metro only service is a bit of a downer for 3 because I do go into rural Vic quite a bit.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

We were on contract with three mobile until last month. Moved here in August, and used our inclusive minutes and texts on our uk 3 contract (500 per month) to phone uk mobiles and landlines from the Gold Coast - with no additional charge. The only time you get any extra charges is if you are dialling australian numbers, so if u still have time on your contract, make use of it here to keep in touch with folk back home when u first arrive here.