Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

can my daughter get admission in primary school in age of 4 ?

can my daughter get admission in primary school in age of 4 ?

Old Nov 2nd 2011, 4:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can my daughter get admission in primary school in age of 4 ?

Originally Posted by Haansi
Thanks Dicko for your precious time and advice;

it is a good advice but sure it is not answer to my question.
No it isn't but then it's not advice either. BE is a public forum where anyone can answer or query. We were both confused by your actions. Other people have advised on possible options. Unless you get correct documentation, your child is going to go through her entire life being a year younger than she is, whether that be school, uni, anything. Celebrating birthdays must be a tad confusing.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

Haansi is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a lot every one for your precious time, guidance and helping me.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Depends on when her birthday is and which state.

Unless it's changed since we came, in Victoria you can start in the January if your child turns 5 before the end of April.

Mine did and was the youngest in school for a year, then we let him repeat a year so he'd be the same age as other kids in class.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 7:56 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure where the OP is from, but in some Asian countries it's normal to say you're a year older than you actually are. So, if his child was born in 2007 then they would say she is 5, as she is in her 5th year of life.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I am a tad confused about how someone could get the year wrong when registering a birth and that is what needs to be sorted first. NO good rocking up to a school and just asserting that the date is incorrect. Get the documents with the right date (and if the document were issued at the time of birth then it is going to be hard to prove that the official wasnt cognizant of the year they were living in!!!)

Then they will need to adopt the Australian nomenclature of saying how old a kid is once they have achieved their birthday milestone.

Then they need to work out which state they will be going to. Children can start at 4 in all states IIRC (except maybe SA and Tas???) providing their 5th birthday falls before the cut off date - scroll down for the cut off date table http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Australia
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

STATE PROGRAM NAME AGE OF ENTRY

NSW Kindergarten 5 by 31 July

Vic Prep 5 by 30 April

QLD Prep 5 by Jun 30

WA Pre-Primary 5 by June 30

SA Reception Multiple Intakes

Tas Prep 5 by Jan 1

ACT Kindergarten 5 by 30 April

NT Transition Multiple Intakes

http://www.det.wa.edu.au/education/e...s.html#compare
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Haansi is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks every one for sparing your precious time and helping me out.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 11:17 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Award for most surreal post of the year.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 12:20 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Award for most surreal post of the year.
I quite like the idea of choosing the state/where I'm going to live, based on how early I can get rid of the kids into school
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 12:26 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I quite like the idea of choosing the state/where I'm going to live, based on how early I can get rid of the kids into school
Makes total sense.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 12:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
You could have a baby, get the registrar to put the dob as five years previous and get it into school immediately. I wonder if they'd suss it out?
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 3:34 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need an answer to your question - your daughter is not 4, she is 5! If you get her birth certificate changed you won't have a problem at all!

Also, SHE won't have major problems in the future either.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 5:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tking
You don't need an answer to your question - your daughter is not 4, she is 5! If you get her birth certificate changed you won't have a problem at all!

Also, SHE won't have major problems in the future either.
I wonder how much luck I would have with convincing the powers that be tht in fact I was not born in 1970 as per my birth certificate but that in fact it was 1969.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 5:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I wonder how much luck I would have with convincing the powers that be tht in fact I was not born in 1970 as per my birth certificate but that in fact it was 1969.
I'd be tempted to go the other way myself. I think I was really born in 1986.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

It might not be relevant to you, but be aware that in NSW if you are on a 457 visa you will pay for public schooling, no matter what age they are when they start!