Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can i ship food items in my Container

Can i ship food items in my Container

Old Jun 26th 2007, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

hindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nice
Default Can i ship food items in my Container

Hello
We are getting very near to sorting out what to take and what to sell, but can anyone tell me if we can take food and kitchen items in our shipping container.
i am thinking along the lines of: washing powder, lenor,bisto, tins of food, cleaning products etc, rice, pasta and stock i have in my kitchen.
if not i better stop shopping for food and use up what i have already.
Thank you for any info you can give me.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 5:24 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can i ship food items in my Container

Originally Posted by hindon
Hello
We are getting very near to sorting out what to take and what to sell, but can anyone tell me if we can take food and kitchen items in our shipping container.
i am thinking along the lines of: washing powder, lenor,bisto, tins of food, cleaning products etc, rice, pasta and stock i have in my kitchen.
if not i better stop shopping for food and use up what i have already.
Thank you for any info you can give me.
This site will help you
http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis
..............mm
Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

EIM01 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would recommend not shipping any food.

Even though most of the foodstuffs may be OK by Australian Quarantine regulations to be imported, you may find yourself with a larger bill for Quarantine inspection than would otherwise be the case if you had no foodstuffs to declare.

AQIS will have a good look at any foodstuffs declared, and since they bill their service by time spent inspecting, it's really not worthwhile for odds and ends from your food cupboards.

And if they do find foodstuffs that are banned from import, you may also face an additional bill for the disposal or destruction of these items.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 10:04 am
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't bother - just try to use up what you have now and buy it all again!

It will cost you more to ship than its worth, plus all the AQIS hassles.

Also, its just extra work to pack, carry, store, move and unpack food stuff!!

Chuck it all out and buy it when you arrive!
Old Jun 27th 2007, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

hindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nice

thanks for all you replys. did anyone take a stock of PG tips or Ariel washing powder in there container? or is this not allowed either?
Old Jun 27th 2007, 11:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for all you replys. did anyone take a stock of PG tips or Ariel washing powder in there container? or is this not allowed either?
Don't know about washing powder but PG Tips is fine, just declare it
Old Jun 27th 2007, 2:11 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

the problem with declaring stuff like that which is packed in a container is that they might want to look at it - which means that might want to rummage around in your container for yours (charging you inspection fees for the pleasure).

Just throw it away and but some when you get there!

You English people are funny sometimes - so attached to your particular brands of tea and washing powder!

.....the only thing worth taking to another country (just in case they don't sell it) is vegemite.......
Old Jun 27th 2007, 9:14 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyR1976
the problem with declaring stuff like that which is packed in a container is that they might want to look at it - which means that might want to rummage around in your container for yours (charging you inspection fees for the pleasure).

Just throw it away and but some when you get there!

You English people are funny sometimes - so attached to your particular brands of tea and washing powder!

.....the only thing worth taking to another country (just in case they don't sell it) is vegemite.......
They may decide to inspect any way. Not taking PG Tips is no guarantee that they won't inspect your stuff...

Signed
Polly (who likes vegemite and never drinks tea )
Old Jun 27th 2007, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Can i ship food items in my Container

How about booze? Can you put any in your container? I believe that you can't buy Gin in Oz. Sorry have to ask it's far more important than gravy granuals or tea bags to me
Old Jun 28th 2007, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

Plenty of gin for sale over here I wouldnt put alcohol in the container for the same reason that you will need to declare it and it could cause all sorts of problems. Buy it from the airport duty free when you arrive.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 7:03 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

you can get pg tips in coles (well i can in my local coles anyway )
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:10 am
Aussie lost in the UK

Originally Posted by Pollyana
They may decide to inspect any way. Not taking PG Tips is no guarantee that they won't inspect your stuff...

Signed
Polly (who likes vegemite and never drinks tea )
OH yeah, I understand that they may want to inspect your stuff, but from experience I can tell you that if you declare something they are far more likely to want to open everything up.

If you can manage shipping without having to decalre any foodstuffs or other items then it is much more likely to be waved through rather than opened and taken apart!
Old Jun 28th 2007, 10:55 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by AndyR1976
OH yeah, I understand that they may want to inspect your stuff, but from experience I can tell you that if you declare something they are far more likely to want to open everything up.

If you can manage shipping without having to decalre any foodstuffs or other items then it is much more likely to be waved through rather than opened and taken apart!
I've got 6 boxes arriving in Brisbane next week, they've gone through Customs/AQIS in Sydney, with just the basic inspection fee, no extra for duty or anything, which is very unexpected as two of the boxes have food items, and the third contains a reasonable amount of cider! All declared, and I was quite ready to be hit in the pocket for my self-indulgence, but no cost at all in the end

I think it varies from container to container,and from day to day, but I would hazard a guess that any container-load with NOTHING to declare stands a pretty good chance of having something looked at. Also, if you do declare they don't automatically look at the boxes declared. I had a load of wood in my shipment 4 years ago, they inspected some boxes, but not the ones marked as containing wooden stuff.

I have read of people on here who have brought over wine collections, so it isn't a problem, just declare and be ready for the duty if they charge it.