Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney,Melbourne,Brisbane or perth????

Sydney,Melbourne,Brisbane or perth????

Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

feefeefairy will become famous soon enough
Default Sydney,Melbourne,Brisbane or perth????

Hi, i know its a huge question but im just not sure where i want to go!!!
So i would really appreciate ur views on the aformentioned cities!
Im a nurse and i think i can get a job anywhere( hopefully!)
Other things for me to take into consideration.... i have 2 big dogs (labs) and i would like them to be welcome..... im gay (not in the flag waving, stonewall in ur face type no offence meant), very much more like everyone else i just want a quiet life, but would prefer not to be anywhere too narrow minded.
Im sure, as in the uk, all places have there good and bad, but i suppose im asking for a general idea of what the cities and their surroundings are like?
I know its a huge ask lol! a rough idea would be great tho
Many thanks
Fee xx
Old Jun 25th 2007, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney,Melbourne,Brisbane or perth????

Originally Posted by feefeefairy
Other things for me to take into consideration.... i have 2 big dogs (labs) and i would like them to be welcome..... im gay (not in the flag waving, stonewall in ur face type no offence meant), very much more like everyone else i just want a quiet life, but would prefer not to be anywhere too narrow minded.
Im sure, as in the uk, all places have there good and bad, but i suppose im asking for a general idea of what the cities and their surroundings are like?
Many thanks
Fee xx
Right Fee, this is for sensible questions and the barbies for a gab. Don't worry coz I've had a few moved as well. Sometimes we put them in the wrong place to wind them up and see if they're watching
Old Jun 25th 2007, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Sydney,Melbourne,Brisbane or perth????

I like ur style lol! i really didnt know tho....guess i'll get used to it in time...appreciate the guidance tho my friend
Still working on the avatar....
Take care
Fee xx
Old Jun 25th 2007, 11:40 pm
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

How about adelaide or hobart as well?? I guess it also depends on what you like in terms of weather scenery, beaches, food & wine, pubs clubs music etc... Adelaide and Hobart are more reasonable in terms of living cost so you will probably get a nicer house for your money...
Old Jun 25th 2007, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

Hi thanks its all very new to me and i need to do a whole load of research, i did look about 3 yrs ago...but that seems like a longgggg time ago now...
i'll have a look at adelaide and hobart, thanks.
Im not really a clubber, like nice pubs, places to walk the dogs, friendly neighbours beer, take out and BBQ lol
im a simple girl
thanks
Fee xx
Old Jun 25th 2007, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks
Fee xx
Have friends in very similar scenario heading to Melbourne. One of them is a nurse and yes can get a job without any hassle anywhere in Aus.
They opted for Melbourne (but I think they'll end up in Sydney eventually) as is large City with lots going on & a varied mix of people. Also very contrasting some wonderful parks & countryside within easy reach. Have to mention wonderful public transport network (well once you get to train/tram station is easy anyways).
In Melbourne you can choose to be in the hub of the city (subject to having enough $$$) or sit slightly away from it all in the rambling burbs that go on for some distance!

Not sure about dogs as Aus has lots of rules & regs regarding pets.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 12:00 am
Banned

AK and CR is just really niceAK and CR is just really niceAK and CR is just really niceAK and CR is just really niceAK and CR is just really niceAK and CR is just really niceAK and CR is just really niceAK and CR is just really nice

Hi thanks its all very new to me and i need to do a whole load of research, i did look about 3 yrs ago...but that seems like a longgggg time ago now...
i'll have a look at adelaide and hobart, thanks.
Im not really a clubber, like nice pubs, places to walk the dogs, friendly neighbours beer, take out and BBQ lol
im a simple girl
thanks
Fee xx

Anywhere in oz you will find anything you need, gay or not. If you want to be near a gay scene then sydney probably the more cosmo of the citys.

Melbourne is cool.

Perth i dont know but i do know its miles from anywhere.

Adelaide is more coupley at the mo and had a rep for being sleepy and gods waiting room but is on the up as its cheaper.

Anything north of brisbane very humid.

Autralians on the whole are very friendly. You will get jerks and cool peoiple in every town and village. I think you need to work out what sort of climate you fancy and go for that as youll live in it day to day for years.

Good luck in your search and i hope you have a good time doing it.

Best advice i can give is live in each for 6 months and look for yourself. You can ask collegues the best places for bars/cafes etc and at the same time build new friendships.

Id start with melbourne or sydney if you can afford em. if not then brisbane and adelaide, then perth last. Thats my opinion and im entitled to it. Thats after my research and my needs being met.

Ive been 3 times to syd bris and mel. There are many many places in between the east coast but not many between the east. Thats why i dont fancy perth, a bit isolated for me.

Persoanl choice, but go for it. What do you have to lose.

aj
Old Jun 26th 2007, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

I know, ive been quite shocked by what ive found with regard to the dogs....i think its because there have been some attacks on kids which is horrible.
I think that however it is for the dogs they will have a better life coz i intend on having a HUGE back garden for them in time anyway lol
Gotta be better than the middle of leicester!!!
Fee xx
Old Jun 26th 2007, 12:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Do some sort of chart thing with a list of the things you WANT and and then work out if it's available in each city. For example if you really need a daily beach fix you don't give a tick to Brisbane but you can to most of the other mainland cities. If you like a change in the seasons you can put a tick against Sydney and Melbourne and Hobart, smaller tick against Adelaide etc etc etc. I don't know anything about the gay scene but there will obviously be cities where it's bigger than others.

There are obviously lots of other towns and cities as well as the main capital cities - Cairns, Townsville, Bendigo etc etc etc.

Have probably confused you even more but it worked for us. To get moe info, and rather than waiting, check out the search and type in each city - many people have done good reports on most of them. There is also the Wiki bit at the top of the page.

Good luck.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

Cheers AJ... all advice welcomed, think im leaning more towards melbourne at the mo, but i know the only true way to find out is to be there and see how it goes. Its exciting stuff, scary but exciting lol!
Thanks
Fee xx
Old Jun 26th 2007, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

Thanks moneypen,will do that, not really into the scene, more for quiet family life meself So much to research....so little time???? lol
Fee xx
Old Jun 26th 2007, 12:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know if you've already found it but there is a nursing forum here.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72 Lots of people there who can give advice and chat on the subject.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

Cheers mate will have a look
Fee xx
Old Jun 26th 2007, 12:30 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW (probably very little!), here's my opinion. But you might like/want completely different things to what suits me, so take this with an enourmous pinch of salt.

Sydney - great place, but I might be biased. Very busy, with lots going on. Lots of diverse communities. As it's big (by Aussie standards), it feels very different depending on where you base yourself. The northern beaches and east Sydney feels very different to the inner west or GWS. It is gay-friendly, with some suburbs catering almost exclusively (so it feels) to such markets. Has some great bars and excellent nightlife. Bloody expensive though.

Melbourne - feels quieter, to my mind. Much more European. Quite a laid-back feel. Has some good restaurants and cafes - it's a bit more foodie than Sydney, really. Quite compact. And good transport - really easy to get around, particularly on the trams. I didn't get on with the weather down there though - far too changeable.

Brisbane - humid! Another quiet city, to my mind. Also quite compact, so easy to explore. I've not spent a huge amount of time there, so don't know it so well as the others. Seemed less bustling than both Sydney and Melbourne and less options for entertainment. Seemed positively closed on Sundays.

Perth - miles from anywhere! Quite a nice city though. Good transport. But too small-town for Mr GG and I. Didn't like the constrained feeling that I got once we felt we'd done most of the visitor attractions: once you've seen the Margaret River, Freemantle and Rottnest, what else is there to do for day trips, weekends away etc?

Having doubtless offended pretty much eveyone on BE, I'll duck for cover.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Thanks GG...ur opinion is very much welcomed by me and to be honest seems to mirror what im hearing.
Hope u don catch to much flak!
Cheers
Fee xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.