Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can I rent out half my house?

Can I rent out half my house?

Old Jul 28th 2006, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

katiesel has a spectacular aura aboutkatiesel has a spectacular aura aboutkatiesel has a spectacular aura about
Default Can I rent out half my house?

Hi
I would very much appreciate any ones imput here. I have seen a house in Hervey Bay that I really like, but it would financially stretch me, So I wondered if it would be easy to rent out either a couple of rooms or split the house in 2 and rent one half. Can one just do that, like you can in the UK, or is there lots of regulations and red tape to get through? or if no one knows, how would I find out? Thanks very much
K
Old Jul 28th 2006, 9:06 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I rent out half my house?

Originally Posted by katiesel
Hi
I would very much appreciate any ones imput here. I have seen a house in Hervey Bay that I really like, but it would financially stretch me, So I wondered if it would be easy to rent out either a couple of rooms or split the house in 2 and rent one half. Can one just do that, like you can in the UK, or is there lots of regulations and red tape to get through? or if no one knows, how would I find out? Thanks very much
K
You can rent out spare rooms, ie take in boarders, and charge rent and share of expenses, but beware that you make sure the people you board are ok or you may come home and find everything gone. No real regs on this but you really need to cover yourself legally, get advice from the Rental Tenancy Authority first.