CAN I DO IT??

Old Apr 30th 2009, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light
Default CAN I DO IT??

Might be booking last minute trip to Queensland end of June beginning of July starting in Brisbane (possible interview) and travelling up to the tropical north.
decided if it happens it will be family trip(2 kids included)
been looking at possible flights but unsure where to get the best deals at short notice and not spending a fortune.
also whats the best advice on booking accomadation? will it be risky to book in somewhere as i travel or beforehand. dont want to pay a fortune.
thinking possible 5 - 7 days based near bRISBANE, maybe hire car making way up north spending a week around cairns area.
will need to keep kids happy and not too much time on the road.
if anyone can suggest accomadation thats not too expensive would be great.
will be weather be ok coz its their winter. will be canceling european holiday if this trip goes ahead.
any advice will be great.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 4:05 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CAN I DO IT??

cairns is at its best through the winter months so you wont have any problems there, but its also classed as peak season so prices for accommodation are a bit more expensive not to mention that it is the school holidays in Qld.

Not trying to put you off just a few things to bear in mind.

There are a few holiday parks in the cairns area cant think of the name of them off the top of my head but if you want more details I can get the name of them when I am driving by if you want.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

thanks would appreciate that
Old Apr 30th 2009, 4:15 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

nee bother
Old Apr 30th 2009, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know about not too much time on the road - it is going to take you the best part of 24 driving hours at the best of times so add in your accommodation en route (during the school holidays as Wardy said).
Old May 1st 2009, 4:53 am
Northern Monkey

adamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to all

In terms of your trip north, I did the same trip, (from Brisbane to Cairns) last month.
Its the best part of 1800km, and it took me about 20 hours driving in total. I broke the journey up and stopped in Gladstone, Eungella NP, Airlie Beach and Townsville on the way, meaning the driving on any given day was limited. I would recommend all those places, with the exception of Gladstone which was pretty average. Airlie is a good base for exploring the Whitsundays. While you're in Cairns I'd consider visiting Port Douglas, which is lovely, and seeing if you can arrange a crocodile spotting trip.
As another poster has pointed out, it will be peak season then so you may need to book accomodation in advance. However, another option would be to hire a camper van, like I did, which might be fun for the kids, and costs about $850 for 6 days hire. You can always treat yourself to a hotel at the end of it if you need a bit of luxury.
Adam
Old May 1st 2009, 5:40 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adamlt1972
In terms of your trip north, I did the same trip, (from Brisbane to Cairns) last month.
Its the best part of 1800km, and it took me about 20 hours driving in total. I broke the journey up and stopped in Gladstone, Eungella NP, Airlie Beach and Townsville on the way, meaning the driving on any given day was limited. I would recommend all those places, with the exception of Gladstone which was pretty average. Airlie is a good base for exploring the Whitsundays. While you're in Cairns I'd consider visiting Port Douglas, which is lovely, and seeing if you can arrange a crocodile spotting trip.
As another poster has pointed out, it will be peak season then so you may need to book accomodation in advance. However, another option would be to hire a camper van, like I did, which might be fun for the kids, and costs about $850 for 6 days hire. You can always treat yourself to a hotel at the end of it if you need a bit of luxury.
Adam
I'd recommend stopping somewhere like Agnes Water/1770 rather than Gladstone - much nicer, and you could give the kids of bit of beach time!!
Old May 1st 2009, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

thanks for replies.
did you drop camper off in Cairns and fly back to Brisbane?
Old May 1st 2009, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garyp
thanks for replies.
You could certainly do this.

I would reccomend Hartleys Crocodile Farm if you have time in Cairns & swimming at The Esplanade

QLD school hols 26/6 - 13/7
Old May 2nd 2009, 4:27 am
Northern Monkey

adamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to all

thanks for replies.
Yes, they charge you an additional fee for that, but it isn't much. Let me know if you want me to forward you the details of the van rental company, its quite handy as they're based near Brisbane airport.
If you're looking for flights check out Jetstar and Virgin Blue website. They're budget airlines, so as is the case in the UK, the earlier you book, the cheaper.
Old May 2nd 2009, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

cheers
if you would that would be great
Old May 2nd 2009, 3:15 pm
Northern Monkey

http://www.britz.com.au/
Old May 3rd 2009, 7:55 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Might be booking last minute trip to Queensland end of June beginning of July starting in Brisbane (possible interview) and travelling up to the tropical north.
decided if it happens it will be family trip(2 kids included)
been looking at possible flights but unsure where to get the best deals at short notice and not spending a fortune.
also whats the best advice on booking accomadation? will it be risky to book in somewhere as i travel or beforehand. dont want to pay a fortune.
thinking possible 5 - 7 days based near bRISBANE, maybe hire car making way up north spending a week around cairns area.
will need to keep kids happy and not too much time on the road.
if anyone can suggest accomadation thats not too expensive would be great.
will be weather be ok coz its their winter. will be canceling european holiday if this trip goes ahead.
any advice will be great.
Suggest hire a car from Redback who bring it to meet your flight at Brisbane airport and then book Big4 cabins which are very reasonable. Their sites usually have swimming pools and things for the children to do. BBQ and camp kitchens on site if you don't want to cook in your ensuite cabin.

Cabins come in different combinations 2 bedrooms, 1 bedroom and bunk beds and other options.

Big4 are located all over OZ and would be less hassle than a campervan as you would have more space.

http://www.big4.com.au/ you can make all booking via e-mail as all sites are online. They also have internet access at the sites which can be used to keep intouch.
Old May 3rd 2009, 8:11 am

Bello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond repute

airllie beach is worth alook as well, take a fast boat to whitehaven... hmm paradise
Old May 3rd 2009, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

cheers
will look at those now.car seems more appealing at mo as prices for campervan seem a little steep.
how much to hire a car say for 2 weeks and can you drop it off somewhere different from where you picked it up?