Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Gas fires for winter - best place to buy?

Gas fires for winter - best place to buy?

Old Mar 29th 2009, 12:43 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Gas fires for winter - best place to buy?

We are looking to buy a gas fire to plug into the pipe in our house.

Does anyone have any recommendations of what make of portable one to get - we are looking to spend no more than $500.

I have heard that some of them are more economical than others, this particular one had good reviews but goes for just under a grand and we cant afford that

TITAN 151 / GALAXIE 212 / GRANADA 252

Now we have acclimatised, I can really see us feeling the cold this winter.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

leave_n_on_a_Jet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Gas fires for winter - best place to buy?

Gas Fires in Oz are a KIN rip off, You can buy an air con unit, Water heater or gas boiler etc cheaper.

I have no idea why thye cost so much as the build cost is very low.

You could buy one cheaper on www.ebay.com.au most are second hand, make sure you get one that turns the gas off if the oxygen level in the rooms drops.

Also make sure its the correct gas type eg LPG or NG for what ever your supply is.

James
Old Mar 29th 2009, 3:03 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leave_n_on_a_Jet
Gas Fires in Oz are a KIN rip off, You can buy an air con unit, Water heater or gas boiler etc cheaper.

I have no idea why thye cost so much as the build cost is very low.

You could buy one cheaper on www.ebay.com.au most are second hand, make sure you get one that turns the gas off if the oxygen level in the rooms drops.

Also make sure its the correct gas type eg LPG or NG for what ever your supply is.
James
OMG, I didnt even know about that? excuse my ignorance but what is LPG and NG?
Old Mar 29th 2009, 9:48 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess

Does anyone have any recommendations of what make of portable one to get - we are looking to spend no more than $500.

I have heard that some of them are more economical than others, this particular one had good reviews but goes for just under a grand and we cant afford that

You will find that most are around the $1000 mark.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

Natural gas - ie. from the mains

LPG - from a bottle - like the barbie gas

Aircon units are hellish expensive to run in the winter - my elec bill HALVED even though we had the air con on in summer, it costs loads more to use it as a heater.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 11:46 pm
ABCDiamond

I bought a Gas Fire when I was in Sydney, but it wasn't flued, which is what I was used to in the UK.

Consequently I could smell the fumes more than I expected.

Not a problem to people who are accustomed to non-flued units, but maybe to someone who is.

You can get them set up as flued, but I never even thought about it at the time I bought it.

Old Mar 30th 2009, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
You will find that most are around the $1000 mark.
Ive found one for $500 but its a little one and I need to measure my room to see if it would be the right size.

The one I like is just under a grand.

I have a nose for gas, I smell the slightest amount of gas and have picked up on 3 gas leaks at my house in the UK - well one of them was my neighbours. Transco used to call me 'the gas detector'

We have a bayonet type thing coming out of the wall. I wonder how much of a problem fumes would be? I can smell the slightest whiff of it.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 1:31 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

You don't need a heater in Perth. Save your money and buy a jumper.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

OzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really nice

It depends on the size of the space you need to heat. Have a look at http://www.rinnai.com.au/ for information on products and installation requirements

If you have a bayonet fitting look at the unflued heaters, these are portable and can be pugged in for the winter and then disconnected and put away once it warms up. They do not have a flue but the emissions for them are low enough to be very safe however there are requirements for permanent ventillation. The Rinnai 516TR is a good heater which you will find on ebay for about $500. If you buy second hand get it serviced by an authorised agent

I used to be the Product Manager for Rinnai a few years ago.

Pete

Originally Posted by Professional Princess

Old Mar 30th 2009, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Last year on ebay someone was selling various new portable gas fires for around $300.

They were similar to the portable calor gas fires in the UK (However Aussie version) You just refill gas bottles.
Looked similar to this on top of the page:
http://www.calorgas.co.uk/home/lpg-p...ters/index.htm

Think they also did fires that connect to your existing gas supply too.

Id look on Ebay.com.au
Old Mar 30th 2009, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Here, think might be same guy selling them (but I have not purchased so can not vouch for them)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/COLLECTABLE-M...1%7C240%3A1318
Old Mar 30th 2009, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzzieGunner
If you have a bayonet fitting look at the unflued heaters, these are portable and can be pugged in for the winter and then disconnected and put away once it warms up. They do not have a flue but the emissions for them are low enough to be very safe however there are requirements for permanent ventillation.
What is safe or not is pretty much a matter of opinion. Personally I find a gas heater that vents its fumes into the room unhealthy and would not have one in the house.

As for permanent ventilation: In modern Perth houses this means a grille in the wall that leads to the brick wall cavity and vents through the roof. There is absolute no guarantee that the fumes from the nearby gas fire will find there way to the grille and into the cavity. You would need some form of suction for this to happen ... And there is much more chance that the wind around the house blows down the cavity and into the room.

You own your house, PP, and probably intend to live in it for quite a few years. In that case, get a flued gas fire put in. It'll cost you twice as much as the non-flue type. Getting a flued-in one also means you can get a bigger one that warms more of your house. Save up another year and be safe and healthy.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 4:04 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
Personally we`ve got a gas heater and would not be without it in winter (as well as the jumper & woolly throw for the couch) - I feel the cold a lot more here than I ever did in UK.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
I have a jumper, I have a duvet and a fluffy dressing gown and failing that I have large bosems to pad me out.

I still want a fire.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
What is safe or not is pretty much a matter of opinion. Personally I find a gas heater that vents its fumes into the room unhealthy and would not have one in the house.

As for permanent ventilation: In modern Perth houses this means a grille in the wall that leads to the brick wall cavity and vents through the roof. There is absolute no guarantee that the fumes from the nearby gas fire will find there way to the grille and into the cavity. You would need some form of suction for this to happen ... And there is much more chance that the wind around the house blows down the cavity and into the room.

You own your house, PP, and probably intend to live in it for quite a few years. In that case, get a flued gas fire put in. It'll cost you twice as much as the non-flue type. Getting a flued-in one also means you can get a bigger one that warms more of your house. Save up another year and be safe and healthy.

I might consider that as I can sniff the smallest amount of gas a mile away.

Last time I called Transco out to our rental in London, I was nearly sick with the fumes and he got his gas detector out and there was a zero reading.

After he did a pressure test on our meter outside which was normal, I begged him to do the neighbours and the reading showed a gas leak - in the flat below me.

It was from a pipe that the National Grid hadnt sealed when they relaid the pipes and our neighbours hadnt smelt it because it was summer and the windows had been open etc.

The guy from Transco couldnt believe I could smell it in my house when no reading showed.

It does alarm me a bit not having an outlet for fumes though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.