Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can anyone help me with my growing family of spiders!!!!

Can anyone help me with my growing family of spiders!!!!

Old Dec 27th 2007, 9:18 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can anyone help me with my growing family of spiders!!!!

Originally Posted by seanandmaria
hmmm now that you mention it, kids are pretty psychotic, the cats a lunatic and OH is a miserable git...... oh but they were the same in the UK, so i guess it's not the chemicals

no seriously, havent noticed any side effects, though obviously long term there might be, though having a serious phobia of all wee beasties it's better than a straight jacket or heart attack
Speaking of phobias, has anyone ever had hypnotherepy for phobias? it's something im seriously considering

Maria

Long term exposure to those sorts of chemicals are not good.
You might want to investigate something more natural at some point.

I know there was someone who posts in the Barbie who had hypnotherapy... Perhaps start a thread in there. Sorry, can't remember who.
You could also do a search in the Aus and Barbie forum....
Old Dec 27th 2007, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Josie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud of

Thanks for your help! We've been scouring the internet, and yes, it is a hard call between the Wolf or Huntsman spider. The abdomen in the earlier pic does look like the Wolf spider, however, looking closer at some other pics, it seems the eyes are two sets of four as opposed to the Wolf spider's three sets of 2, 2 & 4? Also, the thorax seems wider than that of the Wolf spider & similar in shape to the Huntsman?

Here's some more pics (we love the one with the shadow bt the way - it looks like a scene from Scooby-Doo!)...

Old Dec 27th 2007, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Josie1100
Thanks for your help! We've been scouring the internet, and yes, it is a hard call between the Wolf or Huntsman spider. The abdomen in the earlier pic does look like the Wolf spider, however, looking closer at some other pics, it seems the eyes are two sets of four as opposed to the Wolf spider's three sets of 2, 2 & 4? Also, the thorax seems wider than that of the Wolf spider & similar in shape to the Huntsman?

Here's some more pics (we love the one with the shadow bt the way - it looks like a scene from Scooby-Doo!)...

http://img.geocaching.com/user/8a806...c06fa84da4.jpg

http://img.geocaching.com/user/a606a...9ab75920fc.jpg

http://img.geocaching.com/user/def3e...da49b0fece.jpg
Mmmm...tricky call... but Huntsman probably... the legs are more huntsman and the eyes.
Huntsmen are quite highly patterned when young too so it's hard to tell but I think you're right.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Looks like a huntsman to me....

The adult lays the eggs and then dies. It's months and months later when the sack hatches and you have hundreds of little spiders crawling around...
I read that huntsman females stay with the eggs until they hatch. Have a big spider and flying phobia that I need to get over pretty quickly, otherwise i will never get to OZ
Old Dec 27th 2007, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by TMRE
I read that huntsman females stay with the eggs until they hatch. Have a big spider and flying phobia that I need to get over pretty quickly, otherwise i will never get to OZ
My daughter (spider mad) told me they die.. I took her word for it. But saying that, I've never seen a female huntsman alive near an egg sack... They tend to lay and leave.

Oh if it was simple for us all.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

My daughter (spider mad) told me they die.. I took her word for it. But saying that, I've never seen a female huntsman alive near an egg sack... They tend to lay and leave.

Oh if it was simple for us all.
If you believe her then I will as well. Now all I have to do is leave the google search alone for 6 months or so, leave it, leave it, leave it .... you don't want to go there
Old Dec 27th 2007, 11:22 pm

If you believe her then I will as well. Now all I have to do is leave the google search alone for 6 months or so, leave it, leave it, leave it .... you don't want to go there
She's an 11 year old expert on all insects....

This is her idea of fun....
Old Dec 27th 2007, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

She's an 11 year old expert on all insects....

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2020/...63c4d1eb65.jpg

This is her idea of fun....

My 12 year old is an expert on makeup and hair products. My 2 year old looks like she is heading the same way as your daughter!. She loves touching spiders, worms, slugs, snails etc . Plus on a flight to Florida she was squealing with delight and asking about everything. Boy did I have fun trying to cover up the fact that I was terrified. One bad emergency landing has scared me for life
Old Dec 28th 2007, 2:09 am

My 12 year old is an expert on makeup and hair products. My 2 year old looks like she is heading the same way as your daughter!. She loves touching spiders, worms, slugs, snails etc . Plus on a flight to Florida she was squealing with delight and asking about everything. Boy did I have fun trying to cover up the fact that I was terrified. One bad emergency landing has scared me for life
Good on you for not passing your fears on. Sounds like your 2 year old is going the same way. Mine was exactly the same when she was that age.
I suspect she'll be an entymologist when she's older....
Old Dec 28th 2007, 2:32 am
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Our female huntsman sat on the egg sac until the eggs hatched - don't know where she went then, perhaps that's when they die?

Huntsman nesting

Lots of babies coming out of egg sac
Old Dec 28th 2007, 2:59 am

Aw bless her! What a good momma.

We've got them in the studio and no momma to be seen...

I'll ask the 11 yr old again.

Great pics!