Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can anyone help me with my growing family of spiders!!!!

Can anyone help me with my growing family of spiders!!!!

Old Dec 27th 2007, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Josie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud of
Default Can anyone help me with my growing family of spiders!!!!

We moved to our house 6 weeks ago. Everything has been great until yesterday. I was in our bedroom and I noticed a small spider on my pillowcase. As I was checking to see what it was I was horrified to see them all over my vertical blinds. My husband promptly arrived at the scene and we sprayed about 30 of them. I checked an hour later and by this point we have now sprayed about 50. I have hardly slept all night and after just checking again, I have now sprayed another 20 or so. Husband thinks they are baby huntsman?

My question is being new to all this. What is the best thing to do? Do we need to get the house sprayed?

Any help will be greatly received

Tammy x
Old Dec 27th 2007, 4:16 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can anyone help me with my growing family of spiders!!!!

Originally Posted by Josie1100
We moved to our house 6 weeks ago. Everything has been great until yesterday. I was in our bedroom and I noticed a small spider on my pillowcase. As I was checking to see what it was I was horrified to see them all over my vertical blinds. My husband promptly arrived at the scene and we sprayed about 30 of them. I checked an hour later and by this point we have now sprayed about 50. I have hardly slept all night and after just checking again, I have now sprayed another 20 or so. Husband thinks they are baby huntsman?

My question is being new to all this. What is the best thing to do? Do we need to get the house sprayed?

Any help will be greatly received

Tammy x
Is it a rental house? If it is call the agent and ask them when it was last sprayed...sometimes this is in with your rent.

If it is you own home I would get someone in ASAP...look in the cupboard under the kitchen sink thats usually where you will find a sticker saying if it has been sprayed or not(on back of door)
Old Dec 27th 2007, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Josie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by biggy
Is it a rental house? If it is call the agent and ask them when it was last sprayed...sometimes this is in with your rent.

If it is you own home I would get someone in ASAP...look in the cupboard under the kitchen sink thats usually where you will find a sticker saying if it has been sprayed or not(on back of door)
It is a Defence house so we are renting. I have contacted them and they said it is nothing to do with them. I just checked under the sink and nothing Had better get on the phone to someone as I hardly slept last night and tonight will be even worse!!!

Thanks for your reply

Tammy x
Old Dec 27th 2007, 6:07 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

It is a Defence house so we are renting. I have contacted them and they said it is nothing to do with them. I just checked under the sink and nothing Had better get on the phone to someone as I hardly slept last night and tonight will be even worse!!!

Thanks for your reply

Tammy x
Baby huntsmen are not dangerous. Open a door and let them out and keep one or two back for pets.

Really, they're timid, they don't bite, and they kill all the bad things.

They're truly not a reason to be scared and to lose sleep...

You don't need to spray the poor things....
Old Dec 27th 2007, 6:19 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply

Tammy x
You can get things called Bombs at Bunnings that do complete room. About $12 for three by the common anti-pest people.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 6:21 am
skye

What do their 'nests' look like before they hatch? I have something that looks like its about to burst outside and hope to god its not baby huntsmans........

Old Dec 27th 2007, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by skye
What do their 'nests' look like before they hatch? I have something that looks like its about to burst outside and hope to god its not baby huntsmans........
Just a little fluffy webby egg with black dots in it....

Better be huntsmans rather than a sack of redbacks or white tails...
Old Dec 27th 2007, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

We know that Huntsman spiders are good (we hope that it is them!). In fact we've been wanting the odd one or two to keep the other creepy-crawlies at bay but these just keep coming in by the dozen!!!

We've never seen mum or dad huntsman and haven't a clue where they've hatched from either. All we know is that they're getting in through gaps in the bedroom window and don't want to go back out. Many, for some reason, are taking a liking to the bed!

We don't like spraying any spiders if we can help it, especially Huntsman spiders, but there's so many of them!

Here's a pic of one (they're about the size of a thumb nail). Can anyone confirm that they definitely are Huntsman spiders?

Old Dec 27th 2007, 8:42 am

We know that Huntsman spiders are good (we hope that it is them!). In fact we've been wanting the odd one or two to keep the other creepy-crawlies at bay but these just keep coming in by the dozen!!!

We've never seen mum or dad huntsman and haven't a clue where they've hatched from either. All we know is that they're getting in through gaps in the bedroom window and don't want to go back out. Many, for some reason, are taking a liking to the bed!

We don't like spraying any spiders if we can help it, especially Huntsman spiders, but there's so many of them!

Here's a pic of one (they're about the size of a thumb nail). Can anyone confirm that they definitely are Huntsman spiders?

http://img.geocaching.com/user/4a8aa...4c58fbe5be.jpg
Looks like a huntsman to me....

The adult lays the eggs and then dies. It's months and months later when the sack hatches and you have hundreds of little spiders crawling around...
Old Dec 27th 2007, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

seanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really nice

As previously mentioned you can buy bug bombs from Bunnings or the supermarket, they are good too, i *bomb* about every three months or so and thankfully we don't have any problems in the house
I dont think i could stay in the house knowing they were there
Probs lots cheaper than getting in exterminators (spl?)

Maria
Old Dec 27th 2007, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by seanandmaria
As previously mentioned you can buy bug bombs from Bunnings or the supermarket, they are good too, i *bomb* about every three months or so and thankfully we don't have any problems in the house
I dont think i could stay in the house knowing they were there
Probs lots cheaper than getting in exterminators (spl?)

Maria
And how are all those chemicals affecting you?

We prefer to keep the huntsmans, because we don't like mosquito's or roaches...
Old Dec 27th 2007, 12:15 pm

http://img.geocaching.com/user/4a8aa...4c58fbe5be.jpg
On second thoughts, I am thinking that this is more like a wolf spider.

The rows of eyes, and the union flag pattern on the pic give this away. I know huntsmans are highly patterned, but Hunstman spiders tend to put two legs together when they're resting .... They almost go horizontal... if you know what I mean... See the two front legs close together?
Like in this picture:
http://www.bighairyspiders.com/pix/w...g_huntsman.jpg

WARNING! BIG HUNTSMAN PICTURE! WARNING!

Can you take an aerial pic to be absolutely sure?
Then I can give you a definite diagnosis?

If they are wolf spiders, just get a brush and sweep them out. They're still beneficial but I do clear my wolf spiders out of the house in case one of the kids gets bitten. Generally they're timid and pretty benign and they don't bite unless really pushed...
And even then, something that size wouldn't even hurt...

Either way just remove them gently.

Last edited by TiddlyPom; Dec 27th 2007 at 12:22 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

seanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really nice

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
And how are all those chemicals affecting you?
hmmm now that you mention it, kids are pretty psychotic, the cats a lunatic and OH is a miserable git...... oh but they were the same in the UK, so i guess it's not the chemicals

no seriously, havent noticed any side effects, though obviously long term there might be, though having a serious phobia of all wee beasties it's better than a straight jacket or heart attack
Speaking of phobias, has anyone ever had hypnotherepy for phobias? it's something im seriously considering

Maria
Old Dec 27th 2007, 9:14 pm
In New Yorshire

tyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud of

Looking like a new herd of Huntsman to me.

Hope you do manage to shuffle em' out somehow.

I know the first instinct is to kill - and I normally do but a lot of spiders are beneficial and damned good at pest control.

One warning............ Do not attempt to stamp on Wolf spiders.Often they carry their young on their back.

I stomped on one and had hundreds (or what seemed like) baby Wolf spiders running up my bare leg.
I wish I could have patented the dance I did - move aside Elvis.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by tyke
Looking like a new herd of Huntsman to me.

Hope you do manage to shuffle em' out somehow.

I know the first instinct is to kill - and I normally do but a lot of spiders are beneficial and damned good at pest control.

One warning............ Do not attempt to stamp on Wolf spiders.Often they carry their young on their back.

I stomped on one and had hundreds (or what seemed like) baby Wolf spiders running up my bare leg.
I wish I could have patented the dance I did - move aside Elvis.
Poor wolf spider!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.