Reload this Page >

Can anyone help?

Can anyone help?

Old Jun 2nd 2004, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

mgreen is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Can anyone help?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, so if i do anything wrong please let me know.

I was just wondering if anyone can help. My girlfriend has just finished uni and we are considering going to oz for a year. I've been looking on immi.gov.au and looking at the various visa's but as far as i can see they only allow you to work for 3 months at a time.

This is fine for my girlfriend but i would probably need to work for at least 11 of the 12 months to afford it. I'm a training accountant, i have an AAT qualification and i am working through the professional stage of ACA. Hence, i would like a steady job as accountancy firms don't tend to employ for 3 month periods.

The only way i can see to do this is by applying for a skilled migration visa but due to the cost (approx £600 i think?) and the amount of time this might take i'm quite reluctant to do this.

Is there any way i can work for 12 months in the same job without migrating?

Also, does anyone know of any good websites for accountancy jobs in australia. We're looking at melbourne.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

jac16 is an unknown quantity at this point

I worked in Australia in Accounting. I used a working holiday visa (the 3 month one) but I did not find any problem in getting jobs for 3 months but I did stay in Brisbane which helped to build up a relationship with the agengies.

Hope this helped
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

jac16 is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry forgot to attach the web address that has lots of agengies on it
http://www.natrem.com.au/gw/hrm_subjects/recruitment/
Old Jun 2nd 2004, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Tonyonthemove is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can anyone help?

Originally posted by mgreen
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, so if i do anything wrong please let me know.

I was just wondering if anyone can help. My girlfriend has just finished uni and we are considering going to oz for a year. I've been looking on immi.gov.au and looking at the various visa's but as far as i can see they only allow you to work for 3 months at a time.

This is fine for my girlfriend but i would probably need to work for at least 11 of the 12 months to afford it. I'm a training accountant, i have an AAT qualification and i am working through the professional stage of ACA. Hence, i would like a steady job as accountancy firms don't tend to employ for 3 month periods.

The only way i can see to do this is by applying for a skilled migration visa but due to the cost (approx £600 i think?) and the amount of time this might take i'm quite reluctant to do this.

Is there any way i can work for 12 months in the same job without migrating?

Also, does anyone know of any good websites for accountancy jobs in australia. We're looking at melbourne.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
With the Working Holiday Visa you are only suppose to work for a company for a maximum of 3 months. There is no limit as to how many companies you can work for so in theory you could work for the whole time by changing jobs when necessary. Your best bet is Agency work (try doing a search) and from what I can remember from a couple of years ago there's plenty of Accountancy Temp work going. This option allows you to travel around finding work as you go so you don't get stuck in the one place for the whole time. You need to be under 30 to get this visa.

The WHV is a really good way to see Australia without all the stresses that everyone else is going through on this forum by trying to get a better Visa. If you hit lucky you may just get a company that will sponsor you to stay longer - this happen to a lad I was sharing an appartment with, he's still there. There are companies that will keep you on longer than 3 months, but that is a personal choice as there are repercussions if you get caught by the Authorities. Try looking at www.tntmagazine.com as well as this is a magazine geared up towards travellers with tons of info on jobs, accommodations etc.