Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can anyone advise me?

Can anyone advise me?

Old Jan 17th 2008, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

fartso is just really nicefartso is just really nicefartso is just really nicefartso is just really nicefartso is just really nicefartso is just really nicefartso is just really nicefartso is just really nicefartso is just really nicefartso is just really nicefartso is just really nice
Default Can anyone advise me?

Me my partner and our two boys,one 12,the other 10 are on the last leg of our visa,just waiting for the 'NOD'

We are a bit confussed on what to do about thier schooling.Do we take them over and then find a school? Or best to sort it all before we go!

Thats if we get the visa,s granted that is...

Any advice,please help.
THANKS
Old Jan 17th 2008, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone advise me?

Originally Posted by fartso
Me my partner and our two boys,one 12,the other 10 are on the last leg of our visa,just waiting for the 'NOD'

We are a bit confussed on what to do about thier schooling.Do we take them over and then find a school? Or best to sort it all before we go!

Thats if we get the visa,s granted that is...

Any advice,please help.
THANKS
Wait until you get here. If you enrolled them at a school then decided you really hated the area it would be another upheaval for them.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 3:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nice
Default Re: Can anyone advise me?

Try to contact various schools before you leave to get an idea, visit their websites (many schools have one), alot of schools do have a waiting list depending on how old your child/children are.

We did a reckie in July 2007 (it was already booked as a holiday) and looked at various areas we thought we'd like to live, checked out transport, shops, schools etc. My wife spoke to people who we met who lived here to get an idea which was good because one school we thought would be ok turns out not to be that great (problem kids apparently) which meant we looked at other areas to live (we wanted to be within walking distance of a school as they finish earlier than in the UK, our son finished at 1500 apart from Wednesdays when it's 1445 (start time is around 0840).

We arranged to have an interview with one of the "heads of year" for the school we thought we'd like our son (14 yrs at the time) to attend based on what we knew and what people told us and we were fortunate enough that he accepted our son. We also had the choice of what year to put him into Yr 9 or Yr 10 (we opted for ear 10 to see how he goes).

It's also useful to get a copy of your UK school records, in Scotland there was a report they wrote for the new school and we got a great big folder with all his reports etc.

Also post here where you think your going and get feedback from the "locals"