Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Camping Thread

The Camping Thread

Old Apr 11th 2007, 8:28 am
I am the walrus.. face it

carlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud of
Default The Camping Thread

I have started this thread for everyone who is considering the idea of arriving in Australia and using camping/caravanning as a way to initially travel around and the beautiful land which we will be calling home.

It seems there are quite a few of us interested in this area, so I hope you can all join in, regardless of your budget and experience. So if you are interested in camping in Australia please join in with advice and pointers, and I also think it might be a good place for people to sell/swap/lend camping equipment to new arrivals?

Please post if you have any advice concerning -

I hope this thread can prove useful for people,

Happy camping everyone!
              Old Apr 11th 2007, 8:44 am
              Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice
              Default Re: The Camping Thread

Originally Posted by carlosthegerbil
              I have started this thread for everyone who is considering the idea of arriving in Australia and using camping/caravanning as a way to initially travel around and the beautiful land which we will be calling home.

It seems there are quite a few of us interested in this area, so I hope you can all join in, regardless of your budget and experience. So if you are interested in camping in Australia please join in with advice and pointers, and I also think it might be a good place for people to sell/swap/lend camping equipment to new arrivals?

Please post if you have any advice concerning -

I hope this thread can prove useful for people,

Happy camping everyone!

For camping equipment go to Anaconda or BCF they have good ranges of family tents to fit all budgets. Camping in Oz is nothing like camping in UK. Its comfortable and affordable. You can get bunk beds and queen size beds that fold up and are very comfy. I was amazed at all the equipment people by to go camping, it really is home from home. We are going ot be getting in to camping now we are here, wouldnt have done it in the UK though.

Jay
                          Old Apr 11th 2007, 9:23 am

carlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Koalas
                          For camping equipment go to Anaconda or BCF they have good ranges of family tents to fit all budgets. Camping in Oz is nothing like camping in UK. Its comfortable and affordable. You can get bunk beds and queen size beds that fold up and are very comfy. I was amazed at all the equipment people by to go camping, it really is home from home. We are going ot be getting in to camping now we are here, wouldnt have done it in the UK though.

Jay
                          I have to say I am rather worried about a camping company that is named after a HUGE snake! thanks for the pointers though.

I have been told before that camping in Oz is a different gravy altogether. It is in the States too.. I have had a wander round their 'outdoor pursuit' stores and I have never been into a shop that was so big that they had a Winnebagos and Speedboats section.

We were hoping to buy a secondhand 2 berth campervan, and take a couple of months to slowly drive round Adeleiade, Victoria, NSW and up to Surfers Paradise. Nothing too fancy, but comfortable enough for my wife and I.

Then sell it on to someone else, or keep it if we need to while we are trying to find somewhere to live..

I am really looking forward to it, and I just hope it all works out.
                          Old Apr 11th 2007, 9:47 am
                          BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh, good thread!

Looking forward to reading some information. We always loved camping, and now have to sell our caravan!

Would like another caravan in the future if we are in Australia. As we have had some brilliant holidays in it. They are great for kids!

http://www.big4.com.au/public/index.aspx?id=1
                          The big4 campsites, for cabins, camping/caravan pitches.

http://www.naturebase.net/
                          National parks and you can buy maps online.

http://www.cmca.net.au/markets/marke...home_sales.htm
                          motorhome and campervan sales

(must admit found these on old threads on here!)

Gems
                          Old Apr 11th 2007, 9:53 am
                          BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/default.aspx

Sells everything you can think of cars, caravans, campervans, tents,boats!!

Can put in area of Australia to get adverts for your state. Also add are for new items and second hand.

So anyone with a tight budget or plenty of cash can find something.

Gems
                          Old Apr 11th 2007, 9:59 am

Nice one Gems, this is the kind of stuff we need!

Tradingpost looks quite good, I have just been perusing their Campervans!

Thanks to other threads, I have found some good budget Campervan Rental links

Please feel free to rate them if you have used them

http://www.wickedcampers.com.au
                          http://www.campette.com
                          http://www.britz.com.au/
                          Old Apr 11th 2007, 10:01 am
                          BE Enthusiast

chrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant future

These are a few words of wisdom when travelling round oz camping, i drove all round her and did 32000 km over 12 month period!
                          Dont put tent up under gum trees! Watch that you dont camp on low lying land for flooding! Take a fishing rod! Take hatchet for chopping and stuff! Inflateable mattress with electric pump! Dont drive after dusk so not to hit roos ect! Always carry an esky! A bottle opener! Booze! Always have at least 30 litres of water with you! An ipod with all your fav tunes! A fold away table and chairs! Billy can for brew! Gas stove! A holden vn commordore and not campervan cos that aint real campin! Clothes line always comes in handy for somthing! 1 big pan and 1 big frying pan! Sunnies! Lots of booze! Jerry can! Mozzie repelent! Deck of cards! More booze! A lantern to put in tent! A tent! Cothes maiden! A driver! Map of oz! Lots of tinned goods! Pasta and rice and beans! Good shoes for walking! Slab of tooheys extra dry! Camera! Packet of cigs even if dont smoke to occasionally give to natives much appreciated!
                          There are loads more but cant be assed right now!
                          ps caming in WA and NT is by far the best camping! Real camping that is!
                          Old Apr 11th 2007, 10:07 am
                          BE Enthusiast

chrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by carlosthegerbil
                          Nice one Gems, this is the kind of stuff we need!

Tradingpost looks quite good, I have just been perusing their Campervans!

Thanks to other threads, I have found some good budget Campervan Rental links

Please feel free to rate them if you have used them

http://www.wickedcampers.com.au
                          http://www.campette.com
                          http://www.britz.com.au/
                          In my opinion get yourself a car and not campervan for a couple of months its much more fun and easier to sell to backpackers and you can travel more quickly. A vn holden commordore or ford falcon estate being the 2 best! You wont regret it. Go to car auction pick one up cheap and buy a load of camping gear total cost around $3000 and sell on at same price!
                          Old Apr 11th 2007, 10:18 am
                          Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

We had a great time camping all around Oz a couple of years ago. We were there for 6 months and went everywhere apart from up top (Darwin etc). Had the best time ever. Couldn't believe how good the facilities were in Aussie campsites. We were in a tent. Had a spare car battery which we plugged a fan into and hung from the ceiling of our tent (not quite air-con but kept us nice and cool). Tents turn into ovens when the sun comes up. Kind of nice getting into the habit of getting up with the sun and going to bed early though.
                          We had a fantastic time, I'd thoroughly recommend it.
                          Old Apr 11th 2007, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by chrisandvee
                          In my opinion get yourself a car and not campervan for a couple of months its much more fun and easier to sell to backpackers and you can travel more quickly. A vn holden commordore or ford falcon estate being the 2 best! You wont regret it. Go to car auction pick one up cheap and buy a load of camping gear total cost around $3000 and sell on at same price!
                          Interesting.. did you sleep in the back, or did you take a tent with it?

I have to say I hadn't considered using a large car instead of a camper. But it does sound fun..

I think the only thing that puts me off using a tent for a couple of months is the putting up and taking down every couple of days.. I think this would get on my nerves after a week or two.. anyone?

Last edited by carlosthegerbil; Apr 11th 2007 at 10:36 am.
                          Old Apr 11th 2007, 11:13 am
                          BE Enthusiast

scottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nice

These are a few words of wisdom when travelling round oz camping, i drove all round her and did 32000 km over 12 month period!
                          Dont put tent up under gum trees! Watch that you dont camp on low lying land for flooding! Take a fishing rod! Take hatchet for chopping and stuff! Inflateable mattress with electric pump! Dont drive after dusk so not to hit roos ect! Always carry an esky! A bottle opener! Booze! Always have at least 30 litres of water with you! An ipod with all your fav tunes! A fold away table and chairs! Billy can for brew! Gas stove! A holden vn commordore and not campervan cos that aint real campin! Clothes line always comes in handy for somthing! 1 big pan and 1 big frying pan! Sunnies! Lots of booze! Jerry can! Mozzie repelent! Deck of cards! More booze! A lantern to put in tent! A tent! Cothes maiden! A driver! Map of oz! Lots of tinned goods! Pasta and rice and beans! Good shoes for walking! Slab of tooheys extra dry! Camera! Packet of cigs even if dont smoke to occasionally give to natives much appreciated!
                          There are loads more but cant be assed right now!
                          ps caming in WA and NT is by far the best camping! Real camping that is!

Like chrisandvee said but I have to disagree on the car/camper thing.
                          We travelled for a time with some mates who had a big ol' Holden.
                          We had a 1973 VW kombi and we'd be set up and sorted with a beer whilst
                          they were still unloading the tent. The same when packing up.
                          We just had to pop the roof up, fold our mega comfy bed out, chuck on
                          the quilt and light the stove.
                          We were on the road solidly and I couldnt imagine having to pitch a tent
                          every time we stopped.
                          Also, they went through about 3 tents in that time due to wear and tear
                          although they managed to upgrade for free each time they took them
                          back to Kmart. Cheaky poms
                          I think it's horses for courses but our old VW did us proud. Reliable, cheap,
                          easy to fix and a legend to boot.
                          We could have sold it ten times over at the Kings Cross Backpackers Car
                          Market and we made a thousand dollers on her when we did.

Edit: Top thread!

We're planning on touring for a bit once we land and we intend doing the
                          same thing with a VW but with two extra of us this time.

Last edited by scottyboy; Apr 11th 2007 at 11:18 am.
                          Old Apr 11th 2007, 11:16 am
                          BE Enthusiast

It dosnt actually take that long when you get into it. We hired camper in new zealand after we left oz and the fun just isnt there. With an estate you can camp or if the weather gets ugly you fit snugly in the back of the car, much much cheaper way of seeing oz. Dont touch wicked campervans they have been round the clock 25 times and you see them broke down on your travels!
                          Old Apr 11th 2007, 11:20 am
                          BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scottyboy
                          Like chrisandvee said but I have to disagree on the car/camper thing.
                          We travelled for a time with some mates who had a big ol' Holden.
                          We had a 1973 VW kombi and we'd be set up and sorted with a beer whilst
                          they were still unloading the tent. The same when packing up.
                          We just had to pop the roof up, fold our mega comfy bed out, chuck on
                          the quilt and light the stove.
                          We were on the road solidly and I couldnt imagine having to pitch a tent
                          every time we stopped.
                          Also, they went through about 3 tents in that time due to wear and tear
                          although they managed to upgrade for free each time they took them
                          back to Kmart. Cheaky poms
                          I think it's horses for courses but our old VW did us proud. Reliable, cheap,
                          easy to fix and a legend to boot.
                          We could have sold it ten times over at the Kings Cross Backpackers Car
                          Market and we made a thousand dollers on her when we did.

Edit: Top thread!

We're planning on touring for a bit once we land and we intend doing the
                          same thing with a VW but with two extra of us this time.
                          Thats exactly what we wanted to do couldnt aggree with you more a vw kombi, but we spoke to people not as lucky as you who broke down every other day. When your travelling large distances you need a good reliable engine 4l v6 they are bullet proof, vws over heat and do 80km an hour we were flying at double that in NT.
                          Old Apr 11th 2007, 11:35 am
                          BE Enthusiast

scottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nice

Thats exactly what we wanted to do couldnt aggree with you more a vw kombi, but we spoke to people not as lucky as you who broke down every other day. When your travelling large distances you need a good reliable engine 4l v6 they are bullet proof, vws over heat and do 80km an hour we were flying at double that in NT.
                          I know what you mean about the speed issue.
                          We used to trundle along at 80kmh or "econo speed" as we used to call
                          it. It took some time to get anywhere but that suited us.
                          That's why some call them land barges.
                          Our motto was "it's not the destination, it's the journey that counts"
                          hence we never did the Nullabar in it though the previous owners did.
                          We only broke down once when the generator blew in the only town for miles.
                          Right outside an auto electricians
                          Old Apr 11th 2007, 12:40 pm
                          BE Enthusiast

We are rriving in perth in november and we hve got our dog in quarrantine for four weeks so we are going to get a 4by 4 and go up gibb river road into pilbara for a couple of weeks of camping. Oz has so much to do on camping side, id rather camp in oz now than stay in a hotel by beach. It was the best time of our life the 12 months we travelled round oz. Met so many people on camp sites and the ozzies are so friendly!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.