Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are cameras much cheaper in Singapore?

Are cameras much cheaper in Singapore?

Old Feb 4th 2005, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

windsurfer uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are cameras much cheaper in Singapore?

Thinking of replacing my old digital camera with a more up to date model . Was wondering if it was worth waiting untill we move to Perth in 5 weeks and buying in Singapore or just shop around in the uk?

Regards Windsurfer uk
Old Feb 4th 2005, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice
Default Re: Are cameras much cheaper in Singapore?

Originally Posted by windsurfer uk
Thinking of replacing my old digital camera with a more up to date model . Was wondering if it was worth waiting untill we move to Perth in 5 weeks and buying in Singapore or just shop around in the uk?

Regards Windsurfer uk
We bought a Konica Minolta Dimage X50 camera at Singapore Airport on the way to Melbourne last September and I recall it cost something like 800+ Singapore Dollars to buy. I notice the same camera for sale in Oz for about 650 Australian Dollars, so with the Australian and Singapore currency having a similar exchange rate I would say that cameras are not necessarily cheaper in Singapore, unless of course you try the city and not the airport.

The camera's fantastic by the way.

Neil
Old Feb 4th 2005, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about

Hi Windsurfer

I bought a camera in Singapore a couple of years ago, a SONY Cybershot 4.0 mp's, it was quite up to date when I bought it and cost about $700 singapore then and was about £400 - £450 when i checked the prices in the UK on return.

I did go down the town to buy it, if i remember correctly it was in Chinatown, it had a street full of electrical/camera shops, but they were not very easy to haggle with!!, very stubborn.

Good luck

Bill
Old Feb 4th 2005, 9:20 pm
rudo1ph

Things can be cheaper in Singapore if you know where to go. BUT you must know exactly what you want, do your homework first, and not let the sales person talk you into buying anything else. Make sure you buy your item in a sealed box and that everything you are expecting to be ther is there. Especially check things like it has the correct batteries an memory cards - traders in Singapore are notorious for swaping out decent batteries for cheaper ones.

Good luck, happy haggling and get yourself a bargain!

Rudi

Old Feb 5th 2005, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

When u arrive at Singapore, ask a taxi driver to take u to a place called 'Sim- Lim's. It is a place everyone goes to for all their electrical goods.

We brought a new model camcorder and a new digital camera and they cost half the price of the ones in the uk and in oz.

It is a very well know place and everyone there seems to know it well, with floors and floors of goods, just do a bit of bartering and away you go!

Mandy
Old Feb 5th 2005, 7:52 am
owieb

I bought a video camera from Singapore, rather than Perth, as it was over $2,500 cheaper!

Checkout www.expandore.com they were really good to deal with.

Last edited by owieb; Feb 5th 2005 at 7:59 am.

Old Feb 5th 2005, 8:51 am
rudo1ph

Originally Posted by scrawni
When u arrive at Singapore, ask a taxi driver to take u to a place called 'Sim- Lim's. It is a place everyone goes to for all their electrical goods.

We brought a new model camcorder and a new digital camera and they cost half the price of the ones in the uk and in oz.

It is a very well know place and everyone there seems to know it well, with floors and floors of goods, just do a bit of bartering and away you go!

Mandy

Sim Lim is the place to be but BE CAREFUL. They see tourists coming from half a mile away and many of the traders will try and screw you. (see my above post). If you know exactly what you want then go for it, if not then Parisilk in Holland Village is pretty good and they won't try and rip you off.

Rudi

(PS Lived there for 18 months so I know what I'm on about!)

Old Feb 5th 2005, 9:02 am
Just Joined

SanDizk is on a distinguished road

Nope, I think buying cameras in HKG in cheaper than SG because there are always price cutting between shops.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

The other post was correct in that you need to have an idea of what you want.

They may try and palm you off with old models unless you know the sort of thing u are looking for. Also make sure that what you buy has a worldwide guarantee.

We went and had a look at what sort of things they had to offer and the prices they were charging. We then went back to the hotel and checked out on the internet the ones we liked and compared. Next day went back, get a couple to compete with each others prices and you will get the best deals.

Hope this helps,

Mandy
Old Feb 5th 2005, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

Our camcorder was cheaper in Singapore- but when it broke 8 days later the worldwide gaurantee was a pain. Because we had left Singapore, they would not replace it, instead insisting on repairing it. Which took them over a month (by now we were in Oz) so we had virtually no footage of our month long holiday and on our return to the UK they tried to charge us £70 for postage/delivery costs

After many many long tedious calls to virtually every Panasonic office in the countries we visited they eventually reinbursed most of the costs.
BEWARE OF PANASONIC