Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who do you feel most comfortable around?

Who do you feel most comfortable around?

Old Feb 5th 2005, 12:58 am
Just Joined

Toukon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Who do you feel most comfortable around?

To ex-pats, who do you feel more comfortable around here? Aussies? Fellow Brits? Others? I'm 22, but have never felt fully "compatible" with Australians for a reason unknown to me. Perhaps it is my interests or rather finding it hard to locate people with similar interests, but I was always a loner type at school. It is strange, but I relate to other foreigners a lot more. I can go to Box Hill, a town here in Melbourne with an incredibly large Asian community (honestly, it seems like 80% of people there are Asian) and really like it, feel more comfortable around these people who are even "further away" from Britain (culturally) than Australians.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 2:18 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Who do you feel most comfortable around?

Why do people (not just you by any means) keep trying to make these artificial distinctions? It's not about Pom/Aussie/Asian/whatever. It's about individuals. Give me someone with a similar sense of humour/intellect/interests any day; who cares where they're from?
Old Feb 5th 2005, 3:47 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkMyWords
Why do people (not just you by any means) keep trying to make these artificial distinctions? It's not about Pom/Aussie/Asian/whatever. It's about individuals. Give me someone with a similar sense of humour/intellect/interests any day; who cares where they're from?
I agree. At work I generally feel most comfortable around non-stupid people - it makes for an easier life. Where they are from matters little. In my social life i generally feel most comfortable around friendly people with similar interests.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Feb 5th 2005, 4:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, its not nationality, its about the individual. I have an Aussie husband, I have Aussie friends, I also have British, Swiss, Kiwi, friends, and other nationalities as well. If I "get on" with them as a person, we get friendly, if not, we don't.
Why worry about where they are from?
Old Feb 5th 2005, 4:22 am
Just Joined

Toukon is an unknown quantity at this point

I wasn't trying to generalize anyone or anything. I just meant whether there was a nationality you relate to, like when I tell a British style joke to my Aussie friends, they are just "...". Hence, I don't relate to them the same as many of my countrymen who would "get" the joke. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule, but I meant in general. I mean, at least where I am, foreigners are treated like foreigners (which isn't unfriendly or friendly necessarily, just different).
Old Feb 5th 2005, 8:02 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by Toukon
I wasn't trying to generalize anyone or anything. I just meant whether there was a nationality you relate to, like when I tell a British style joke to my Aussie friends, they are just "...". Hence, I don't relate to them the same as many of my countrymen who would "get" the joke. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule, but I meant in general. I mean, at least where I am, foreigners are treated like foreigners (which isn't unfriendly or friendly necessarily, just different).
I think as humans we gravitate to our own, those that understand our culture. Tends to be a natural thing to do.

For example, I don't think many Australian's have seen Peter Kay or Max & Paddy? So if you come out with the one liner of "garlic bread" - blank stares where you could be in a shop, say it as a bit of fun to a friend and you then get a complete stranger joining in who is on holiday from the UK.

My hubby and I still come out with occasional Kath & Kim one liners here in the UK to a whole host of blank stares!

Even silly things like programmes you used to watch as a kid, you can share a common bond or monster munch crisps.

I think as many have said it is all down to individuals and how you hit it off.

M

Old Feb 5th 2005, 8:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot

Even silly things like programmes you used to watch as a kid, you can share a common bond or monster munch crisps.
Thats when its good to have a fellow Brit at work....I say "And heres one we made earlier......" and we crack up, while all around us the Aussies just look confused!
Old Feb 5th 2005, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

I like to be around anyone that is friendly........dont give two figs where they come from. Mind you, I dont think 'us newcomers' can be too choosey can we. We are a long way from our family and old friends., so anyone who wants to be my pal is quite welcome!!!!
Old Feb 5th 2005, 10:55 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
I like to be around anyone that is friendly........dont give two figs where they come from. Mind you, I dont think 'us newcomers' can be too choosey can we. We are a long way from our family and old friends., so anyone who wants to be my pal is quite welcome!!!!

I will be ya pal, although coffee mornings might be a bit of a challange considering I am in Victoria
Old Feb 5th 2005, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Toukon
I don't think that you feel this way because they are non-Aussies, but simply because they are fellow-immigrants. Sometimes being with someone who has had a similar experience makes you feel more at home. I know that it is sometimes hard for Aussies to understand some of the things immigrants experience because they've never had to pack it all in and go somewhere else. hanging with someone from any nationality who had been-there-done-that can be comforting. But do not write the Aussies off, keep on trying - they are wonderful people!