suzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Calling UK from Oz

Sorry for this dopey question in advance

When you call the UK from Perth is it 0011 - 44 - area code - phone number
or have I got that totally wrong

Thanks
Old Mar 10th 2006, 4:56 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling UK from Oz

Originally Posted by suzy

Thanks
nearly! I think its 001144 + (area code minus the 0) + (tel number)

love ya suzy!

Last edited by Jonahs_mummy; Mar 10th 2006 at 6:30 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

MarkandJulie will become famous soon enoughMarkandJulie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by suzy

Thanks
00 11 44 (area code without the 0) (phone number)
Old Mar 11th 2006, 2:39 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkandJulie
00 11 44 (area code without the 0) (phone number)
And just to confuse things, if you are using Telstra and expect to be on the phone for more than 30 minutes, dial 00 18 44 (area code without the 0) (phone number) as it's cheaper.

However, I would recommend an International calling card for all calls as even cheaper.

Andrew
Old Mar 11th 2006, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by andrew63
And just to confuse things, if you are using Telstra and expect to be on the phone for more than 30 minutes, dial 00 18 44 (area code without the 0) (phone number) as it's cheaper.

However, I would recommend an International calling card for all calls as even cheaper.

Andrew

Tell me about international calling cards????
Old Mar 11th 2006, 4:49 am
Just Joined

beachgal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paulb
We use the 'Gotalk' phone card purchased from post offices - we put $50 on it (though you can purchase it for smaller denominations ie $20) calls only about 4 cents per minute - last forever - all you do is phone a number first depending on where you are calling from ie. Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide, Sydney, Perth etc etc then type the code in printed on your card - you then dial the number - 001144 blah blah blah - very cheap calls - when the card runs out you can top up online or over the phone just like a mobile phone - we often just use MSN for calls or Skype but not everyone has computers and sometimes you just want to use the normal phone - these cards are excellent for that - my mum uses a similar one from UK - Australia (also bought from Royal mail)

BG
Old Mar 11th 2006, 5:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beachgal
We use the 'Gotalk' phone card purchased from post offices - we put $50 on it (though you can purchase it for smaller denominations ie $20) calls only about 4 cents per minute - last forever - all you do is phone a number first depending on where you are calling from ie. Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide, Sydney, Perth etc etc then type the code in printed on your card - you then dial the number - 001144 blah blah blah - very cheap calls - when the card runs out you can top up online or over the phone just like a mobile phone - we often just use MSN for calls or Skype but not everyone has computers and sometimes you just want to use the normal phone - these cards are excellent for that - my mum uses a similar one from UK - Australia (also bought from Royal mail)

BG
Another good one is "Daybreak" - works the same way. Just freaks me out when I phone my mother (not often) and the voice says you have 1,682 minutes on this call - over my dead body. But they do last for ages.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 5:16 am
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the replies.

Will deffo sort out an international card when/if we get visa.

I've printed off details for my ever growing "useful info file"
Old Mar 11th 2006, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

We use the daybreak one as well and your right they do last a good time. We also use yahoo messenger to web-cam and talk.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

MarkandJulie will become famous soon enoughMarkandJulie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by paulb
We use GPS cards. 25c connection fee and then just 0.7c per minute. Can purchase them at lots of newsagents in Brissy. $10 cards that you can tp up by credit card if you want
Old Mar 11th 2006, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

beachgal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MarkandJulie
We use GPS cards. 25c connection fee and then just 0.7c per minute. Can purchase them at lots of newsagents in Brissy. $10 cards that you can tp up by credit card if you want
Bloody hell thats cheap!!! (not sure if i'm allowed to say the word 'bloody' in view of recent advertising!!!!! ) Will keep a look out for that card - makes a mockery of Telstra dosen't it!

BG
Old Mar 11th 2006, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

rangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud of

we use anytime by optus and its 2.5 cents a min with no connection fee, Paul.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know whether Telstra is the only fixed line company or are there competitors?