Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Calling all queenslanders

Calling all queenslanders

Old Apr 27th 2005, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

brionyj is on a distinguished road
Smile Calling all queenslanders

Can anyone give me an honest appraisal of the 'good' and 'bad' areas in Brisbane, the Gold Coast & the Sunshine coast.
We have two kids - one is four, the other nearly one, so obviously looking at family orientated places, ideally with good state schools. I'd like to have easy access to some take-aways, cafes, restaurants, shops, supermarkets etc. Also within 20 minutes ish from the coast.
Love to hear from anyone who's made the move!
Old Apr 27th 2005, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all queenslanders

As noone has replied to you yet I will try and help. I think the best way to find out is to do a search under Gold Coast Sunshine Coast etc.Also if there is a particular area that you are interested in then search under that.
Good Luck hope you manage to find what you want.
I did earlier on today and found it most useful.
Cheers Dreamaway
Old Apr 27th 2005, 7:14 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure the likes of Mrs DagBoy and ABCDiamond will offer their advice when they wake up
Old Apr 27th 2005, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brionyj
Can anyone give me an honest appraisal of the 'good' and 'bad' areas in Brisbane, the Gold Coast & the Sunshine coast.
We have two kids - one is four, the other nearly one, so obviously looking at family orientated places, ideally with good state schools. I'd like to have easy access to some take-aways, cafes, restaurants, shops, supermarkets etc. Also within 20 minutes ish from the coast.
Love to hear from anyone who's made the move!

That is a huge area!!!! Probably over a 1000 suburbs.

20 minutes to the coast is not brisbane tho if you mean surf beach coast.

Gold coast seems to have put a lot of people off, the japanese embassy put out a warning about crime there, wouldnt have thought it was that bad but we found it very grotty in parts when we went down in March, lots of drunk youth etc, of course there are nice bits too.

Theres loads of posts from people on the sunshine coast, there was a big thread from people who've settled in Buderim, it had lots of info on surrounding areas school too, searching on that might be a good start.

Brisbane gold coast and sunshine coast are all full of facilities, supermarkets cafes and take outs, schools are everywhere unless you move to some out west country suburb facilites should not be a problem.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 11:07 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
I'm sure the likes of Mrs DagBoy and ABCDiamond will offer their advice when they wake up
Not this little black duck Wayne, I no longer tell people on here where the bad areas are. Got sick of people's hissy fits & feet stomping tantrums when their area got mentioned as not the most desirable place to live.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 12:21 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by wmoore
Hmmm
Well, I think everyone knows by now that I like my area

Right on the Bayside, a good hour away from those dangerous Surf Beaches, just the nice safety of small kid safe local beaches.

An hour away from the City, keeping us nice and secluded, yet plenty of local Shopping options (Great Supermarkets !! ) and great schools.

The Council is even just about to start building our very own Library and Cinema, here in Victoria Point

PS: Even the petrol is still cheaper here 99.8c yesterday, I've still never paid $1 or more per litre . But you need to know where to look

Old Apr 28th 2005, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

We live at Northlakes/Mango Hill which is 40 minutes to Brisbane CBD, 10 minutes to Redcliffe for the safe/no surf kiddy beaches, 45 minutes to Mooloolaba and the Sunshine Coastal stretch of beaches. There is a great state school in North Lakes and a private one has just opened. The shopping facilities are good with a local Westfield and Chermside is about 20 mins south which is a big shopping area. Hope this helps
Old Apr 28th 2005, 6:14 am
Just Joined

donna paul is on a distinguished road

We have 2 kids aged 9 & 3 and have settled in Forest Lake. We are 30 mins from City, 50 mins from Gold Coast and just over an hour from the Sunshine Coast. We love it here as it is very family orientated - the state school Kayleigh goes to is quite good and there are a number of others around too. Niamh is at a lovely nursery and the people here are generally friendly and helpful.