Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Calling all Midwives - Advice needed

Calling all Midwives - Advice needed

Old Oct 22nd 2007, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Tracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to all
Default Calling all Midwives - Advice needed

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me whether it's okay to fly at 11 weeks pregnant

Cheers all

Tracey
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

Tracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to all
Default Re: Calling all Midwives - Advice needed

Bumping this one as I don't want to lose off the front page!

x
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

black cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tracey O
Hi there,

Can anyone tell me whether it's okay to fly at 11 weeks pregnant

Cheers all

Tracey
Hi, i am not a midwife, but l flew to New York when i was a bout 10 weeks pregnant- no problems at all apart from feeling slightly sick!! Congrats by the way!!
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks - I have had a few people telling me I shouldn't fly. Think it's a ploy to keep me in the UK

x
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future

Hi there
Yes it is absolutely fine to fly at 11 weeks pregnant - Most airlines will fly you until you are well into your late 20's (weeks that is!). Have a nice flight.

Lindsey
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that. Weird how some peeps said that you can't fly in your first trimester!?????

I will now look forward to the flight and our new life in Aus

x
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to all

Hi, I flew when i was 28 weeks pregnant, i did however make sure i had a note from my doctor/Midwife to say the pregnancy and myself was all ok.
hope this helps.

Have a good flight
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

FlumpBrain is just really niceFlumpBrain is just really niceFlumpBrain is just really niceFlumpBrain is just really niceFlumpBrain is just really niceFlumpBrain is just really niceFlumpBrain is just really niceFlumpBrain is just really nice

Please be aware of your increased risk of deep vein thrombosis and ensure you wear thrombo-embolic flight socks
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FlumpBrain
Please be aware of your increased risk of deep vein thrombosis and ensure you wear thrombo-embolic flight socks
I will purchase some flight socks, and ensure that I walk about plenty of times.

Thanks everyone - you put my mind at rest.

x
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

noofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nice
Smile Re: Calling all Midwives - Advice needed

Hi,

Midwife Jackie here - yes you are perfectly okay to fly at 11 weeks.

Take Care
Jackie
x
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 1:49 am
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

I flew at 11weeks - all was fine. I have seen it advised in some places that as the first trimester is considered in general to be the most riskiest time of pregnancy, flying at this time is not as safe as during the second trimester when the pregnancy is more established. I think this is more to do with the fact that if something is going to happen, whether caused by flying or not, then the first trimester is when it would occur. It is a sad fact that the majority of pregnancy losses occur in this period, but also just as well (from a physical point of view) as the pregnancy is less established. Having said that, flying itself would rarely cause any issues with pregnancy & mostly the advice about not to fly when you are much later on is due to comfort issues.

Make sure you keep hydrated on the flight. If you are food sensitive at this time, maybe take some snacks you know will appeal rather than relying on the airline food. It is not nice to be hungry on a long flight. If you are getting any swelling in the foot/ankle area take some small slippers to wear during a long flight - don't go barefoot or in socks as the loo floors may be mucky. Move around frequently & go to the loo regularly - no holding it in if you think there will be a big queue! And if you have a travelling companion get them to carry all the luggage!