Reload this Page >

Is Cairns for me?

Is Cairns for me?

Old Jun 23rd 2011, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

ob1967 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is Cairns for me?

Hi all

I checked about for a thread which relates to my circumstances but couldn’t see anything.

I’m 26, from Scotland with no kids or partner and I’m sick of the cold weather here so I’m leaving. As English is the national language in Australia and I love scuba diving I reckon it is the country for me.

I have a degree in accountancy and another degree in media and communications. I have worked in corporate communications/PR for the last two years. I do not now and I have never used my accountancy degree and to be fair I’d rather not use it, just not for me.

As I said I like scuba diving so right now I’m thinking Cairns would be amazing however I have no idea about living costs and I doubt I would walk into a job, yes I’d get a job in PR soon enough but it would take me a year or so to get to a comfortable level.

Does anyone have any idea on living costs for Cairns and if there’s a decent chance I’ll get a visa and job?

Thanks for any help you can give

Old Jun 23rd 2011, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Cairns for me?

Originally Posted by ob1967
Hi all

I checked about for a thread which relates to my circumstances but couldn’t see anything.

I’m 26, from Scotland with no kids or partner and I’m sick of the cold weather here so I’m leaving. As English is the national language in Australia and I love scuba diving I reckon it is the country for me.

I have a degree in accountancy and another degree in media and communications. I have worked in corporate communications/PR for the last two years. I do not now and I have never used my accountancy degree and to be fair I’d rather not use it, just not for me.

As I said I like scuba diving so right now I’m thinking Cairns would be amazing however I have no idea about living costs and I doubt I would walk into a job, yes I’d get a job in PR soon enough but it would take me a year or so to get to a comfortable level.

Does anyone have any idea on living costs for Cairns and if there’s a decent chance I’ll get a visa and job?

Under 30 you could get a years working visa and try before you buy.

Might be as good idea, Cairns economy is supposed to be pretty bad right now.

But yeah, hot and lots of diving for tourists but not sure about jobs tourism is down.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 10:40 pm
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ob1967
Hi all

Far be it from me to ever want to put a damper on people's dreams, but the job situation here in Cairns is pretty dire. I would not come here with a huge amount of confidence that you would get a PR job easily enough even at a lower level. There are some pretty well qualified people with plenty of experience who are struggling to get a decent job, who have then lowered their sights for low level jobs and are still getting passed over. I'm not saying that the situation would be the same for you as I'm sure there is an element of luck and right place/right time involved. However, you might be better off considering one of the major cities and just contenting yourself with trips up to the Reef etc... for your diving.

Cairns is a beautiful place and has a lot going for it, it's just that employment at the moment isn't one of it's strong points.

Jad n Rich suggested the WHV as a good alternative and that might be the way to go, although I have seen other posters suggest that you have to be careful with this as it could screw up your recent work experience in the field for which you are applying for a visa.

Good luck with whatever you decide....
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Inclined to agree with Sillyoldbag. I am not an expert in Cairns employment opportunities for PR professionals, but it really didn't sound promising to me.

I have just looked at Seek.com.au and only one job came up when I searched on PR & Corporate Affairs in Cairns and FNQ. The same search but for Sydney brought up 86 roles and in Melbourne 44.

The WHV is an easy way of moving over quickly. But if you want to stay for good you would have to look into skilled migration (PR qualifies for a state sponsored visa) or employer sponsorship and I think your chances are much better in the larger cities.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 11:21 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to say that the job market in Cairns is absolutely abysmal and there is a steady stream of people leaving the town to find work elsewhere. This is in all areas - accountants, lawyers, teachers etc..... Just walking around the town centre the number of 'for lease' buildings is shocking and I can't see how things are going to improve here until a considerable drop in AUD brings tourists back.

It is a lovely place, very green and lush but I think you would soon regret moving here. Even finding 'filler' jobs like bar work, waitressing etc is tough. The diving is great (although the visibility most of the year is not tremendous due to the tradewinds) and you can find it further south as well where there are more jobs to be had.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 11:30 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Cairns unemployment rate is nearly 11% so unless scuba diving can pay the bills it probably isnt the best place to be looking at currently. Also how do you cope with humidity ? I mean REAL humidity were you sweat making a cup of tea. I really like Cairns and until recently used to go twice a year but no way could I live there.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Jobs and diving opportunities in Perth and WA as well.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

ob1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your advice. It seems like Cairns may not be the best place to go right now.

I'll have a look at Sydney, Perth and Melbourne

Old Jun 26th 2011, 2:29 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Cairns is good for what it is..A party tropical paradise with a great reef not far away. I wouldn't go there for career opportunities just like I wouldn't go to any other area in Australia outside the main 5 centres if I was serious about a career.

Would you go to Ibiza and work as an accountant?
Old Jun 26th 2011, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
Cairns is good for what it is..A party tropical paradise with a great reef not far away. I wouldn't go there for career opportunities just like I wouldn't go to any other area in Australia outside the main 5 centres if I was serious about a career.

Would you go to Ibiza and work as an accountant?
He could do the books for a drug barron
Old Jun 26th 2011, 7:05 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the suggestion of coming here on a Working Holiday is a good one; take a look at the place and see what the job situation is like here in diving. But be prepared to do literally any work in the Cairns area if you want any kind of work at all. As others say, umemployment is high here right now.

It's a beautiful part of the world, but without a job to come to, good luck is all I can say. Have you considered WA for diving work: Broome, Exmouth, Shark Bay for instance?
Old Jun 26th 2011, 1:43 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyk38
I think the suggestion of coming here on a Working Holiday is a good one; take a look at the place and see what the job situation is like here in diving. But be prepared to do literally any work in the Cairns area if you want any kind of work at all. As others say, umemployment is high here right now.

It's a beautiful part of the world, but without a job to come to, good luck is all I can say. Have you considered WA for diving work: Broome, Exmouth, Shark Bay for instance?
Agree and ningaloo as just got world heritage. Let me tell you as diver ningaloo is way ahead of cair s from what I've seen. It's likely to be n upcoming area.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

milamila is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Is Cairns for me?

I am from Cairns but must agree with the people here it is not recommended if you want to work. It's great to party, have heaps of fun and enjoy the beauty of the tropics but unless you're up for casual employment and not in your chosen field, I'd give Cairns a miss. However, I will add that if you're a very persistent, hard working person who likes change sometimes that casual job could turn into something permanent and you could rediscover yourself in a totally different field. Come to Cairns for a month or two and check it out.