Cairns ??

Old Jun 1st 2006, 1:08 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cairns ??

Does this Ms Booth woman know what she is doing, she should have employed yourself Bix, and Bix da Boss, and Cairns would fill up no problem.
What you say and the photos make it sound fab.

Could I sneak in a wee question about teens, is there much there for them and opportunites re; college , uni's etc
Old Jun 1st 2006, 1:21 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret2
Does this Ms Booth woman know what she is doing, she should have employed yourself Bix, and Bix da Boss, and Cairns would fill up no problem.
What you say and the photos make it sound fab.

Could I sneak in a wee question about teens, is there much there for them and opportunites re; college , uni's etc
Plenty of choice
http://www.studycairns.com.au/

University just 20 minutes North of the main city area in fabulous surroundings.
http://www.jcu.edu.au/

One thing I've noticed about Aus kids is how much happier they seem compared to Brits. More emphasis is placed on extracting and developing the character of the kids.

Things to do for teens....not half.
Anything special they like doing now ?
Old Jun 1st 2006, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

milliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud of

Ah Bix thank you for your words of wisdom. Will show dh this thread when he gets home. I have just been having a sneaky peak at properties and am amazed, you do get much more for your money. Can you recommend some suburbs that have good scholls, facilities and that are not a long commute from the city.

WW, having had a look at the waterfront properties and the prices of them I think we may pass on those We are used to London traffic so a 3 car queue will be fun Poor dh has an hour and a half each way commute on the London underground everyday and is quite smug at the thought that it will a dim and distant memory once we move down under!

Thank you again
Old Jun 1st 2006, 1:29 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a few websites.
Bear in mind a lot of these are touristy but gives a flavour nonetheless.

http://www.reflections.com.au/Cairns/Weather/
http://www.cairns-australia.com/
http://www.cairns.qld.gov.au/
http://www.cairnsreservations.com/in...s_climate.html
http://www.cairnsconnect.com/
http://www.cairnsconvention.com.au/C...goon_night.htm
http://www.cairnsesplanade.com/gallery.html
http://www.canz.com.au/index.html
http://www.arta.com.au/qldmaps/cairns.html
http://www.cairns.communityguide.com...irns/business/
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=927
http://www.totaltravel.com.au/travel...irectory/cafes
http://www.qld.gov.au/
http://www.tropicalaustralia.com.au/...0-FC75BD815DAD
Old Jun 1st 2006, 1:37 pm
nniall

Smile Re: Cairns ??

Originally Posted by katsmajic
Hi all, I've been mooching around looking at various places in OZ, but cant find much about Cairns, OH says its cos theres not alot going on there...i just wondered, everyone seems to be heading for Perth, Brissey (our fav so far), Sydney, Adelaide or Melbourne...is there life in northern OZ?
Just saw this thought i'd try enlighten you a little, I was there couple of years ago and would believe that things really wouldn't have changed that much. To be honest, when we where there we stayed for a few days and that was enough. People to either use it as a diving point, or use it for the airport or to plan trips like we did up to Kakadu, Darwin via plane and Cape tribulation for a scenic tour (which was OK, but not too exciting).

Anyway, other than that, few nights in the Woolpack (drinking hole) was Ok, but the rest of it was not much to write home about. Hope this helps.

Enjoy your trip. Oh and btw, if you ever end up in mission beach, head for somewhere called the tree house, its a hostel run by a couple of old hippies.
We had a great time there, really loved it and its my favourite hostel in OZ, bearing in mind the only place I didn't visit was Gove WA, went every other major city and drove the East Coast.

Old Jun 1st 2006, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by milliesmum
Ah Bix thank you for your words of wisdom. Will show dh this thread when he gets home. I have just been having a sneaky peak at properties and am amazed, you do get much more for your money. Can you recommend some suburbs that have good scholls, facilities and that are not a long commute from the city.

WW, having had a look at the waterfront properties and the prices of them I think we may pass on those We are used to London traffic so a 3 car queue will be fun Poor dh has an hour and a half each way commute on the London underground everyday and is quite smug at the thought that it will a dim and distant memory once we move down under!

Thank you again
Cairns is built on a river plain, so Parramatta Park, Earlville, Manunda, Manoora & Mooroobool are on the flat. The hillside suburbs (read breeze & views) are Kanimbla, Bayview Heights (new money), Whitfield (old money) and Edge Hill. They are the near Cairns suburbs and are cycling distance to town. These suburbs have their 'good bits' mixed in with not as good bits.

Further out are the newer suburbs such as Brinsmead, Redlynch, Edmonton as well as the beach suburbs. If you want really laid back, try Kuranda.

Try www.whereis.com

As for sporting choices, I think there are more than Redlands.

WW
Old Jun 1st 2006, 1:57 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

[QUOTE=nniall] Anyway, other than that, few nights in the Woolpack (drinking hole) was Ok [QUOTE]

Ying yang.
For every black there's a white, for every yes a no.
Life is full of oposites just like our opinions. Varety is the spice of life.

Your comment on the Woolpack confirms to me we are opposites.
Drink is not the only thing served. One of the biggest dives in town if not the worse. It's only claim to fame being the ex Notts Forest and Liverpool striker being arrested last year. Forget his name but he's hit rock bottom which explains his presence in the Woolpack.

But you stayed a few days and spent the evenings in the Woolpack.....Mmmmmm.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 2:00 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
Cairns is built on a river plain, so Parramatta Park, Earlville, Manunda, Manoora & Mooroobool are on the flat. The hillside suburbs (read breeze & views) are Kanimbla, Bayview Heights (new money), Whitfield (old money) and Edge Hill. They are the near Cairns suburbs and are cycling distance to town. These suburbs have their 'good bits' mixed in with not as good bits.

Further out are the newer suburbs such as Brinsmead, Redlynch, Edmonton as well as the beach suburbs. If you want really laid back, try Kuranda.

Try www.whereis.com

As for sporting choices, I think there are more than Redlands.

WW
Good summary.
Plenty of others to consider too.

Where are you living WW ?
I'm renting in Park Ridge.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 2:09 pm
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry Bix most sensible people will form their own opinions of Cairns. If I'd listened to every person who tried to put me off Townsville I wouldn't be moving there in 3 weeks time Most of these 'experts' had just been passing through (or had NEVER even visited) and really didn't know the place at all. I can't wait to visit Cairns and see it for myself Oh and I shall avoid the Woolpack
Ying yang.
For every black there's a white, for every yes a no.
Life is full of oposites just like our opinions. Varety is the spice of life.

Your comment on the Woolpack confirms to me we are opposites.
Drink is not the only thing served. One of the biggest dives in town if not the worse. It's only claim to fame being the ex Notts Forest and Liverpool striker being arrested last year. Forget his name but he's hit rock bottom which explains his presence in the Woolpack.

But you stayed a few days and spent the evenings in the Woolpack.....Mmmmmm.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 2:16 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

It was a point in my earlier post. You need to live somewhere to know.
A lot of people passing through Cairns will be based in backpackers, hostels, motels for a short period. Not exactly the best criteria from which to form
judgements of everyday life.

And don't forget when you do make it up here
Old Jun 1st 2006, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

milliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud of

Get a room you 2
Old Jun 1st 2006, 2:20 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by milliesmum
Get a room you 2
We're booking one in Mission Beach which will be midway between us.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 2:24 pm
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
We're booking one in Mission Beach which will be midway between us.
Dunk Island looks nice
Old Jun 1st 2006, 2:31 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by The A Team
Dunk Island looks nice
Mmmmmm....I'll check the availability
Old Jun 1st 2006, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

What are you both like, a little mad me thinks

Have been checking out those suburbs you mentions whilst you have been flirting and they look great, more research to do, just when we thought we have picked a place you come along and tempt me with Cairns

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.