Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Byron Bay-What are the prospects like up there?

Byron Bay-What are the prospects like up there?

Old Aug 13th 2007, 6:39 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Byron Bay-What are the prospects like up there?

Originally Posted by mike-Ju
Hi

I think I want to emigrate to Byron Bay,NSW but wondering what are the job prospects for a child care co-ordinator and a chef and also what are the schools like??

Ive been to Byron and loved it and it always struck me as a great place for families.

Anyone got any advice, comments on Byron?

Thanks
julia
Byron Bay??????

Who gives a .....................job wise!

Just chill man!

No seriously, what an awesome place this is, given a choice, we would be down there like a shot! Coolest place in Oz that we have been to!

Just no bloomin' work
Old Aug 13th 2007, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nice

Originally Posted by ozlord
l hate to disappoint you but it has changed since the 60's.
1999-2000
Old Aug 13th 2007, 7:45 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget that Byron Bay has developed a bit of a reputation for drunken behaviour and violence.

Rex Hunt and his son were attacked there by a gang of youths a couple of years ago.

There was some concern, at the time, that the local authorities wanted to cover up the incident.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...720485789.html

G
Old Aug 13th 2007, 9:48 pm
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice

I heard the other side of that story. Apparently it might of been caught on cctv. But since Rex actually started the fight it kind of all disappeared and the media never reported any more on it!!! strange hey.:curse:

"The media look after there own"....

Last edited by TheSubMainMan; Aug 13th 2007 at 9:51 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 11:34 pm
Banned

ozlord is just really niceozlord is just really niceozlord is just really niceozlord is just really niceozlord is just really niceozlord is just really niceozlord is just really niceozlord is just really nice

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Byron Bay??????

Who gives a .....................job wise!

Just chill man!

No seriously, what an awesome place this is, given a choice, we would be down there like a shot! Coolest place in Oz that we have been to!

Just no bloomin' work
l did'nt think anyone in Bryon Bay works, their all either dole bludgers that surf all day, hippies that live in hills outside the town where they grow their weed to sell to tourists and rich old people from Sydney who retire there.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nice

Whilst we were there I cut my hand bad enough to need stitches.
At the hospital the doctor was about to numb the cut for stitching when
the nurse asked if I was ok as I'd gone pale.
I told her I was petrified of syringes and injections.
In reply she said "Well that's a bloody first for Byron".
Old Sep 1st 2007, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I think I want to emigrate to Byron Bay,NSW but wondering what are the job prospects for a child care co-ordinator and a chef and also what are the schools like??

Ive been to Byron and loved it and it always struck me as a great place for families.

Anyone got any advice, comments on Byron?

Thanks
julia
Hi

I've just been living in Byron (well Bangalow to be precise, 10 mins away) for the past 2 years.
Any info you need just ask
I've just moved away but in answer to your points
workwise - wages arent that good, in fact they can be really bad, they'll be chef work for sure but wages are known as being bad in the area.
Childcare work, not sure. Theres alot of skilled people in the area doing all sorts.
it is very beautiful and a lovely place, re: a good place for families - depends on the age of your kids I reckon. Apart from the beach, classes etc - culturally it isnt that diverse.
Its very pricy now housewise, even Woolies is the most expensive in Oz apparently and eating out is definately pricier being a toursity place.
Its become alot more monied with alot of people doing the sea change thing, this has benefits and negatives of course.
It does get REALLY busy over holiday time, obviously.
Lovely climate
Lovely views. Few lovely towns about. FOr a family, I think Brunswick Heads about 10 mins north is a good choice. Still has access to Byron but its quiter and not over run with people on the piss on a weekend. The area is very small too, good in some ways, not in others for long term living and a long way from other places.
To get an idea of jobs etc
www.echo.net.au is the local paper
good luck
xxxx
Quite a good mix of people too.
Oh and crime is on the up, still drug problems there and violence after pubs as in lotsa places

Last edited by birdynumnum; Sep 1st 2007 at 8:44 am.
Old Sep 1st 2007, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozlord
l did'nt think anyone in Bryon Bay works, their all either dole bludgers that surf all day, hippies that live in hills outside the town where they grow their weed to sell to tourists and rich old people from Sydney who retire there.
cobblers
Old Sep 1st 2007, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

Chears for that, after looking at a few posts Ive realised it may not be the best place in the world to bring up children, great place for a holiday though.

May be Townsville then? I loved Townsville but its a bit warm up there isnt it.

Hey Mike,

Townsville is like Bridgend but without the dogshte and rubbish on the beach!!!

Byron Bay in my opionion now is a commercial mess, without any direction.

Sorry but even in the last 12 years its changed so much, I'd rather go to other places.....

All I can say its full of druggy backpackers, not totally full, but tnough for me to stay well clear with a young family....
Old Sep 1st 2007, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

mike-Ju will become famous soon enoughmike-Ju will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by on a mission
Hey Mike,

Townsville is like Bridgend but without the dogshte and rubbish on the beach!!!

Byron Bay in my opionion now is a commercial mess, without any direction.

Sorry but even in the last 12 years its changed so much, I'd rather go to other places.....

All I can say its full of druggy backpackers, not totally full, but tnough for me to stay well clear with a young family....
Hi

just read your post courious you know Bridgend quite well although you missed out the mindless murders that has been happening, 3 last month.

Did you live in Bridgend are living in Bridgend? Passed through the sh*thole on the way to somwhere nicer?

Id love to know if your local and if your living in Australia and where.

Cheers
Mike & julia
Old Sep 1st 2007, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

Mike,

I had my tongue in cheek,

O go there on business and can safely say its a shthole.

It is a shame considering the castles, history but unfortunately its a mess I live NW England which is pretty much the same.

There is some grreat placs in UK, but I could never afford to live in them, and at the end of the day the weather is just ridiculous here.

Also we have Gorden Brown and Blair which means I aint interested anymore.