Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Byron Bay-What are the prospects like up there?

Byron Bay-What are the prospects like up there?

Old Aug 12th 2007, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

mike-Ju will become famous soon enoughmike-Ju will become famous soon enough
Default Byron Bay-What are the prospects like up there?

Hi

I think I want to emigrate to Byron Bay,NSW but wondering what are the job prospects for a child care co-ordinator and a chef and also what are the schools like??

Ive been to Byron and loved it and it always struck me as a great place for families.

Anyone got any advice, comments on Byron?

Thanks
julia
Old Aug 12th 2007, 10:09 am
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Byron Bay-What are the prospects like up there?

Originally Posted by mike-Ju
Hi

I think I want to emigrate to Byron Bay,NSW but wondering what are the job prospects for a child care co-ordinator and a chef and also what are the schools like??

Ive been to Byron and loved it and it always struck me as a great place for families.

Thanks
julia
My fave day trip from the coast. I love it there especially the chips by the sunset.

Property is expensive there, I'm not sure about work prospects tho.

Pottsville is N or Byron and has new property from 400k and is a reasonable commute. I'm not sure whats south of Byron, lovely area though.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 1:12 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks
julia
Byron Bay is our favorite place too!
Lots of hippie/surfy/chilled-out/spiritual people about. Great music and bands to listen too.... have absolutely no idea what the job prospects are like, but would like to live there.

We went their on our honeymoon and so have great memories of the place.

Neil.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 8:43 pm
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice

It's been a long time since I was in Byron, but it was a great place while I was there. Mega Heaven...

I thought you might find the following forum helpful.

http://www.bayweb.com.au/forum/byron-bay-forum-vf2.html

There was a great article by a lady on here. Replying to a question on living and bringing up kids in Byron. I tried to find it for you, but failed....

To cut it short. The points I remember about it where:

1.lack of opportunities for the kids when they get older.(Guess they will have to bugger of to Brisbane then).

2. Earning a living. Although with your skills I think you could get work. Just that the pay will probably be crap! (getting low pay is not a bad thing, if you find the life your after).

3. The drugs. (Now this is definitely a problem in Byron). and not just the soft stuff Nimbin is just a short drive away.

4. Large transient holiday population. ( Brings higher crime rates, including serious crime). Trust me on this, you get some right shits coming through the place. But still no where near as bad as living in London or Birmingham, Sydney etc' But large crime rate for the size of the town.

5. Some of the older members of the community have left because of changes in the town. ( I often wounder where they went. Do they know something I don't)

Some nice points:

It's Beautiful,
There is loads to do, Diving ,walking, surfing(locals only!), hand gliding, fishing, sailing, wind surfing, even the odd big band makes a stop over to play a gig!!!

Nice local community, Well it was when I was there.

It's Just a realy nice place most of the time.

Old Aug 13th 2007, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

Chears for that, after looking at a few posts Ive realised it may not be the best place in the world to bring up children, great place for a holiday though.

May be Townsville then? I loved Townsville but its a bit warm up there isnt it.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light

Townsville has it's faults as does everywhere. We arrived 2 yrs ago, no preconceptions and no connections with the place and found it a nice town to live. Coming from the UK we thought the heat would be a problem but i can honestly say it hasnt been anywhere near as bad as everyone said. We are looking forward to the summer!
Old Aug 13th 2007, 11:50 am
Banned

ozlord is just really niceozlord is just really niceozlord is just really niceozlord is just really niceozlord is just really niceozlord is just really niceozlord is just really niceozlord is just really nice

Chears for that, after looking at a few posts Ive realised it may not be the best place in the world to bring up children, great place for a holiday though.

May be Townsville then? I loved Townsville but its a bit warm up there isnt it.
Are Townsville and Bryron bay your only 2 options, must be hundreds of other good places to live along the east coast of OZ have you considered somewhere further south of bryon bay?
Old Aug 13th 2007, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ozlord
Are Townsville and Bryron bay your only 2 options, must be hundreds of other good places to live along the east coast of OZ have you considered somewhere further south of bryon bay?
I dont know those were the two places I liked the most when I was backpacking, I also loved Sydney but im not sure its the right place to bring up kids.

Anyone got any good suggestions?
Old Aug 13th 2007, 2:40 pm
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice
Cool Re: Byron Bay-What are the prospects like up there?

Same as us, We are not sure where to live when we get there.

Plan A: Get a camper-van and take two months out, slowly cruising up towards Cairns. Hoping to find something, a place we can call home.

Plan B: is Cairns

any other ideas appreciated.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nice

Originally Posted by TheSubMainMan
Same as us, We are not sure where to live when we get there.

Plan A: Get a camper-van and take two months out, slowly cruising up towards Cairns. Hoping to find something, a place we can call home.

Plan B: is Cairns

any other ideas appreciated.
That's what we intend to do but starting in Cairns and heading South.
Nice to hear there are more potential transients on here
Old Aug 13th 2007, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nice

Hi

Thanks
julia
We fell for Byron when we were there.
Both times we stayed at the First Sun camp site on Belongil beach.
The second time we drove all the way from Melbourne just to spend
my birthday there in our old VW kombi.
In remember going to bed and listening to the Bob Dylan tribute band
who played the Beach Hotel along with the drumming of the street
performers.
Don't get me started on the Railway Friendly Bar
We'd always intended to live around there but after thinking about the
practicalities and now having young kids I don't think so.
It has become so expensive too.
Would deffo go back there.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

camacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nice

I dont know those were the two places I liked the most when I was backpacking, I also loved Sydney but im not sure its the right place to bring up kids.

Anyone got any good suggestions?
hi

we're going to caloundra in sunshine coast.

went up and down gold and sunshine coast and fell in love with this place.great beaches lovely town and very friendly people.we have a 4 & 6 year old and think calondra is perfect!
Old Aug 13th 2007, 3:54 pm
Banned

ozlord is just really niceozlord is just really niceozlord is just really niceozlord is just really niceozlord is just really niceozlord is just really niceozlord is just really niceozlord is just really nice

Originally Posted by scottyboy
We fell for Byron when we were there.
Both times we stayed at the First Sun camp site on Belongil beach.
The second time we drove all the way from Melbourne just to spend
my birthday there in our old VW kombi.
In remember going to bed and listening to the Bob Dylan tribute band
who played the Beach Hotel along with the drumming of the street
performers.
Don't get me started on the Railway Friendly Bar
We'd always intended to live around there but after thinking about the
practicalities and now having young kids I don't think so.
It has become so expensive too.
Would deffo go back there.
l hate to disappoint you but it has changed since the 60's.

Last edited by ozlord; Aug 13th 2007 at 3:58 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

We holidayed in Byron last year and loved it. Incredibly high property prices though, I think THE most expensive property in the whole of Oz was sold there recently.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 5:08 pm
IT Guru

Red face Re: Byron Bay-What are the prospects like up there?

Still worth checking out thou!

I know it's changed, and is changing. But if they can move the place in the right direction it could be a good thing. Especially for families. The business community there, tend to be anti-drugs. After all they have there families to bring up.

Long term I think the place will end up going more up market, more expensive and may be losing it's hippy routes as it becomes more commercialized/expensive which the locals are trying to stop. Good luck to them, but I can't see them holding off the market forces for ever.

I intend to have another look at the place on the way up, along with caloundra!!! Thx for the tip

But don't write it off, util you see it again with some fresh eyes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.