Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying whitegoods.....discounts...?

Buying whitegoods.....discounts...?

Old Jun 5th 2009, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buying whitegoods.....discounts...?

Are there any retailers that you could recommend who are good with prices, if one buys a lot of stuff from them? I'd need to buy everything for the house - a Fridge, washing machine, dryer, microwave, vaccum cleaner, TV......pretty long list..

Also, do shops deliver the goods home or do I have to hire a man with a van? Do they also do the installation work (for the washing machine) or do I have to get a plumber to fix it?

TIA
Old Jun 5th 2009, 11:51 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Buying whitegoods.....discounts...?

Some deliver for free, some for a small charge say $6, some for a larger charge, but some don't deliver at all.

I would expect a minimum of 12% off normal store price, except on specials, (although sometimes you can get it on them aswell)

My last washer was installed by the delivery guy, but they are easy to install. (after the first 5 or so )

Old Jun 5th 2009, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

taylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant future

we got our microwave, iron, 42 inch samsung flat screen, hoover and fridge from bing lee and they gave a good discount (cant remember exactly now, will have a look in my file - i file here like i have never filed before..lol)

LG wash machine we got from betta and was about $450 plus we got a $50 gift card to spend in store, which went towards the phone.

Can definately get good deals, bing lee and Good guys are both good!

My dp has a work van so we didnt need delivery, and the place we got the washing machine from is opposite our place so i ordered it and they brought it round for free to my front door,.....i lifted it up our stairs and installed it all on my own!!!! (dp was at work) and it works perfectly!! and i am only about 8.5 stone!!!lol

kelly

Last edited by taylor25; Jun 5th 2009 at 12:06 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 12:06 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

We used Bing Lee, did a of haggling got a lot knocked off, plus free delivery of all goods and fitting of washing machine and removal of packing materials.

Also we paid cash on delivery, not when we ordered.

Not sure of the exact prices, but got about 15-20% off RRP.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 12:09 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkMC

Also we paid cash on delivery, not when we ordered.

Not a Kleenmaid product then?
Old Jun 5th 2009, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all :-)

15-20% off RRP sounds great. Will look up Bing Lee and Good Guys online...

Ta...
Old Jun 6th 2009, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

Simoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to all
Smile Re: Buying whitegoods.....discounts...?

Rick Hart is another big one, definitely worth haggling and having a good look around.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

We found it was cheaper to buy all the different things from different shops, as they all seem to have really good prices on one thing, but others can be higher than other shops.
They don't tend to go down much from special prices, but will off normal prices. Good guys are quite good, but have never given us a discount for cash as they advertise. They just give general discounts. They however charge $50 for delivery, as does Radio rentals around here.
Our 50 inch plasma TV we ended up buying from Myer. Who would have thought they would be the cheapest (by quite a bit) and they delivered for free, and gave us a $50 gift card.

A washing machine is REALLY easy to plumb in. Even if the delivery people don't help you, neighbours I'm sure will. Now adays they just have one in pipe and an out pipe. All in the instructions.

Good luck
Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks again for all the info
Old Jun 6th 2009, 7:08 am
Gone Walkabout

aussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really nice

My mate sells whitegoods, he told me he has around 20% to play with when selling to the public, this is what you should be aiming for. Don't fell obliged to buy from the first shop that offers you a bargain as the next store may price match or even beat the price you were offered and also make sure they throw in free or discounted delivery as some of the larger stores charge up to $40 just to deliver whether you live 1km or 10 km from the store...