Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

South West Queensland

South West Queensland

Old Apr 20th 2009, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all
Default South West Queensland

Can someone enlighten me as to what area this would cover. I mean - is Toowomba in SW QLD or SE QLD? Is SW QLD very rural? Or what the major towns in the area would be?
Old Apr 20th 2009, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South West Queensland

Originally Posted by cookiestar
Can someone enlighten me as to what area this would cover. I mean - is Toowomba in SW QLD or SE QLD? Is SW QLD very rural? Or what the major towns in the area would be?
Toowoomba is in SE qld. Size of the state, west is a lot further than toowoomba. West is generally dust
Old Apr 20th 2009, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

That's what I thought. I'm asking because of an opportunity that has come up with the SW QLD division of a company. It's just that on the company website, the only likely office location they have nearby is Toowoomba - nothing further west. Anything that appears to be a town looks tiny on google maps
Old Apr 20th 2009, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Bonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really nice

That's what I thought. I'm asking because of an opportunity that has come up with the SW QLD division of a company. It's just that on the company website, the only likely office location they have nearby is Toowoomba - nothing further west. Anything that appears to be a town looks tiny on google maps
I work for a firm which has offices all over Qld and they call Toowoomba the SW Qld region as opposed to SE which is Logan, Gold Coast offices
Old Apr 20th 2009, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Bonnie. I know the company SE QLD offices are in Brisbane itself, and wondered if when they advertised a job in SW QLD it was Toowoomba - which I think I could cope with. Anything smaller or further inland might be a bit hard to handle.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Bonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really nice

Thanks Bonnie. I know the company SE QLD offices are in Brisbane itself, and wondered if when they advertised a job in SW QLD it was Toowoomba - which I think I could cope with. Anything smaller or further inland might be a bit hard to handle.
We live just south of Toowoomba so if you need any further info, fire away
Old Apr 21st 2009, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

It gets pretty warm out in that direction!!!!

Rudi
Old Apr 21st 2009, 1:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Toowoomba gets damn cold in winter, summer, hot and lots of flies, but the town has facilities compared to many, University etc.

I mght have been unlucky but toowoomba people weve met have all been very racist ( not so much poms, more refugees etc ) and a pretty rough, Bogon. I assume they cant all be like that of course.

Toowoombas only an hour or two from brisbane/coasts, hardly the wild west by aussie distances.

Cheap houses, its never really taken off, like places on the coast.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

LM109 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bonnie65
We live just south of Toowoomba so if you need any further info, fire away
Hi Bonnie65
Where abouts in Toowoomba are you ??? I have been living there for nearly 18 months and find the place quite nice and not too humid but a bit chilly in winter.
Lisa
Old Jun 6th 2009, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LM109
Hi Bonnie65
Where abouts in Toowoomba are you ??? I have been living there for nearly 18 months and find the place quite nice and not too humid but a bit chilly in winter.
Lisa
Hi Lisa

I'm just out near the Preston Peak winery

I like it here - we are semi-rural where we are and have lots of space for our son to run around. Toowoomba gets a bad press from some people but it only takes me 15 minutes to get to work, there's hardly any traffic and the people are incredibly friendly. You're right though - it does get a bit cold in winter. We bought a wood burner the 2nd winter we were here and wouldn't be without it.

I take it you're into bikes? We brought 4 over with us from the UK
They're not getting too much use at the moment though as my hubby is still recovering from a bike accident on the way to work last November
He got his photo (or rather a photo of the wrecked bike!) on page 3 of the Chronicle!!

Nicola
Old Jun 6th 2009, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

LM109 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bonnie65
Hi Lisa

I'm just out near the Preston Peak winery

I like it here - we are semi-rural where we are and have lots of space for our son to run around. Toowoomba gets a bad press from some people but it only takes me 15 minutes to get to work, there's hardly any traffic and the people are incredibly friendly. You're right though - it does get a bit cold in winter. We bought a wood burner the 2nd winter we were here and wouldn't be without it.

I take it you're into bikes? We brought 4 over with us from the UK
They're not getting too much use at the moment though as my hubby is still recovering from a bike accident on the way to work last November
He got his photo (or rather a photo of the wrecked bike!) on page 3 of the Chronicle!!

Nicola
Will send you a pm
Lisa