Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying from the UK - customs charges

Buying from the UK - customs charges

Old Apr 11th 2010, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future
Default Re: Buying from the UK - customs charges

Originally Posted by MrCro
so what about all other electrical items people take with them to Oz - does same apply?

We'll be taking TV's washing machine etc etc!!?
Don't shoot the messenger ! I am no expert, but even connecting UK phones to the network is not 'allowed' with unapproved phones.

Maybe someone else knows more info or appropriate website. Only pointed it out for the cooker in case it needs to be installed and there might be problems getting someone in Oz to do it.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 1:47 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carlap
Don't shoot the messenger ! I am no expert, but even connecting UK phones to the network is not 'allowed' with unapproved phones.
That's a specific telecoms issue. If you want to extend it to all electrical goods, can you provide any reference?
Old Apr 12th 2010, 2:16 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
That's a specific telecoms issue. If you want to extend it to all electrical goods, can you provide any reference?

I imagine that the oven will need to be fitted to the relevant AU/NZ standard, and therein may be a requirement that the device has been approved for use in Australia.

In saying that, I have had a [brief] search around the web and have been unable to find any relevant provisions beyond having the electrical connection performed by a licenced electrician.

S
Old Apr 12th 2010, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JAJ
No reference. Like I said in the earlier post I do not really know. Would hate to think somebody imported something like this and then found they could not get it installed. Just a warning for them to check up.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Called Energy Safety or whatever they are called. No problems with getting it connected up.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 11:23 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Continuing from my earlier thread on the high cost of ovens here, I'm currently investigating importing a NEFF oven from the UK.
Basically even with carriage (FEDEX) I can save about $1000 by buying from the UK.

Question, my reading is that for goods valued less than $1000 there are no customs charges. Does anyone have experience or knowledge to suggest that I might be missing something?
Will it have an international warrentee for if something goes wrong and you need a spare part or it gets damaged in transit?

Just a thought.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ray2gill
Will it have an international warrentee for if something goes wrong and you need a spare part or it gets damaged in transit?

Just a thought.
This is the one significant downside. I'm hoping that Bosch will have a worldwide guarantee - otherwise I'll have to stomach the cost. Damage in transit should be covered by insurance.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all
Question Re: Buying from the UK - customs charges

Hi

Has anyone successfully done this?

Charlie
Old Apr 12th 2010, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by charlie5
Hi

Has anyone successfully done this?

Charlie
Don't know - I suppose you'd have to be in the market for a new oven and then realise how truly extortionate the price is in Australia. And of course benefit from such weak sterling.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

Hi

Yes we are in the market for a new oven, hence my question.

Have you seen www.appliancesonline.com.au ?

Charlie
Old Apr 12th 2010, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi

Yes we are in the market for a new oven, hence my question.

Have you seen www.appliancesonline.com.au ?

Charlie
Yes - prices aren't that much better than normal stores - it's making me think that it's the manufacturers that are ripping people off - not the retailers.

Just had a quote from a UK shipping company - 100GBP from port UK to Fremantle.

So far for a Bosch oven I've got $900 (oven) plus $200 to Australia = $1100

Stores offer free UK delivery but unsure if they will deliver to a shipping company. I'll need to add this and then handling charges in Australia to get it to a point when I can load it on to the back of aute.

Still looking at less than half price though.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

hi

Watching very closely to see how you get on.

Best of luck

Charlie
Old Apr 13th 2010, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

hi

Watching very closely to see how you get on.

Best of luck

Charlie
Dixons are happy to deliver to a shipping company. Shipping company are happy to receive.

So I've now sorted everything apart from insurance and getting it off the boat in Fremantle and to a point wher I can get it on to a ute.

I presume that the shipping company will use an agent in Fremantle.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 1:57 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Dixons are happy to deliver to a shipping company. Shipping company are happy to receive.

So I've now sorted everything apart from insurance and getting it off the boat in Fremantle and to a point wher I can get it on to a ute.

I presume that the shipping company will use an agent in Fremantle.
Will be interested to see how you get on - I reckon it's worth a go.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Will be interested to see how you get on - I reckon it's worth a go.
Were you in England in the late 90s and early 00s when there was a huge issue about Tescos or somesuch importing Levis jeans from abroad because the cost in the UK was so high and Levis refused to sell to UK retailers for the lower cost?
Wasn't it deemed parallel imports or something? I think it finally got to the courts and from memory I think the supermarket lost.

I've been thinking about whether someone could do the same here in Australia and what the reaction would be from manufacturers and retailers. You'd massively undercut Australian prices - although the gains would only be really significant whilst sterling was weak.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.