British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Buying from the UK - customs charges (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/buying-uk-customs-charges-663448/)

NKSK version 2 Apr 10th 2010 11:40 pm

Buying from the UK - customs charges

Continuing from my earlier thread on the high cost of ovens here, I'm currently investigating importing a NEFF oven from the UK.
Basically even with carriage (FEDEX) I can save about $1000 by buying from the UK.

Question, my reading is that for goods valued less than $1000 there are no customs charges. Does anyone have experience or knowledge to suggest that I might be missing something?

Pomster Apr 11th 2010 12:21 am

Re: Buying from the UK - customs charges

We have never been charged any tax on things costing under $1000.
We recently bought a camera from HK and they did say on the website that as the value was close to $1000, we might be subject to tax.

Not 100pct sure of the rules, but so far we have been lucky - although I guess if you were getting stuff every week, you would be targetted with a big tax bill!

NKSK version 2 Apr 11th 2010 1:02 am

Originally Posted by Pomster (Post 8487144)
We have never been charged any tax on things costing under $1000.
We recently bought a camera from HK and they did say on the website that as the value was close to $1000, we might be subject to tax.

Not 100pct sure of the rules, but so far we have been lucky - although I guess if you were getting stuff every week, you would be targetted with a big tax bill!

Thanks - this will need transporting to the docks and so it might be more complex.

Amazulu Apr 11th 2010 2:36 am

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2 (Post 8487107)
Continuing from my earlier thread on the high cost of ovens here, I'm currently investigating importing a NEFF oven from the UK.
Basically even with carriage (FEDEX) I can save about $1000 by buying from the UK.

Question, my reading is that for goods valued less than $1000 there are no customs charges. Does anyone have experience or knowledge to suggest that I might be missing something?

You've got it right - no excise charges for under $1000 per shipment. There could be an issue though if you receive multiple shipments from the same source in a short space of time.

MartinLuther Apr 11th 2010 2:55 am

Just something to watch out for. Customs value includes transport, insurance and possibly customs duty not just the purchase price. If the customs value is over $1000 then it's subject to GST.

Still even after the extras it's probably still cheaper given the current exchange rate.

ozzieeagle Apr 11th 2010 3:25 am

Whats it look like please ?

I wouldnt mind one of those range type colonial looking things in my new place.... If I ever get around to building it.

NKSK version 2 Apr 11th 2010 4:54 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 8487333)
Whats it look like please ?

I wouldnt mind one of those range type colonial looking things in my new place.... If I ever get around to building it.

I'm just looking at a double oven such as this...

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/bosch-h...64717-pdt.html

Can't find anything from Bosch for under $2800 here - and even then it seems to be shop soiled.

This one works out at about $870

NKSK version 2 Apr 11th 2010 4:54 am

Originally Posted by MartinLuther (Post 8487305)
Just something to watch out for. Customs value includes transport, insurance and possibly customs duty not just the purchase price. If the customs value is over $1000 then it's subject to GST.

Still even after the extras it's probably still cheaper given the current exchange rate.

That seems a bit unfair.

ABCDiamond Apr 11th 2010 5:33 am

A bit of double checking may be needed; the rules did say:

The current information from Australia Customs is that goods received by post, valued at UNDER $1,000 are free from Customs Duty and GST.
Not sure about other methods.

NKSK version 2 Apr 11th 2010 5:42 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8487432)
A bit of double checking may be needed; the rules did say:

Not sure about other methods.

No checked already - same by other methods - just documentation that varies.

# Imported goods arriving otherwise than by post will require the completion of a Self Assessed Clearance (SAC) declaration before clearance from Customs control
#

* SAC declarations can only be lodged electronically
o no cost recovery charges are imposed by Customs on SAC declarations but administrative/processing charges may be imposed by carriers acting on your behalf.

Les Avalook Apr 11th 2010 6:38 am

If I've got the space it looks like it worth putting one or two new ovens in my container.:)

lonndongeek Apr 11th 2010 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by MartinLuther (Post 8487305)

This isn't quite correct...

If the item's value excluding shipping/insurance is under A$1,000, import duty/GST won't be assessed.

If the item's value is above A$1,000 import duty & GST will be assessed on item value + shipping/insurance cost.

Cheers

Steve

lonndongeek Apr 11th 2010 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Les Avalook (Post 8487480)
If I've got the space it looks like it worth putting one or two new ovens in my container.:)

One oven may be OK. Two may look like you're importing to sell on.

Cheers

Steve

carlap Apr 11th 2010 10:55 pm

Have you considered the fact that it will probably not be approved for Aus. They seem very anal about this here. If you have a fire or something, the insurance probably wouldn't pay out if they found out.
If you don't fit it yourself you might not be able to get a (legit) sparky to do it for you.
I am sure a good make would be perfectly OK, but wouldn't have that little label.

MrCro Apr 11th 2010 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by carlap (Post 8488844)
Have you considered the fact that it will probably not be approved for Aus. They seem very anal about this here. If you have a fire or something, the insurance probably wouldn't pay out if they found out.
If you don't fit it yourself you might not be able to get a (legit) sparky to do it for you.
I am sure a good make would be perfectly OK, but wouldn't have that little label.

so what about all other electrical items people take with them to Oz - does same apply?

We'll be taking TV's washing machine etc etc!!?:confused: