Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying property in OZ

Buying property in OZ

Old Jan 18th 2004, 10:55 am
Just Joined

GSZLB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying property in OZ

I heard a rumour that expats cannot buy property in Oz until you get permanent residency status. Is this correct?

I'm looking to move to Sydney after getting the visa and was hoping to buy an apartment near the city as an investment (after a period renting and familiarising first).

Thanks
Gareth
Old Jan 18th 2004, 11:02 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Buying property in OZ

Originally posted by GSZLB
I heard a rumour that expats cannot buy property in Oz until you get permanent residency status. Is this correct?

I'm looking to move to Sydney after getting the visa and was hoping to buy an apartment near the city as an investment (after a period renting and familiarising first).

Thanks
Gareth
It is possible, but you need to get special permission from a government department, not sure which it is now, but it is specifically for foreign nationals buying property.

Old Jan 18th 2004, 11:05 am
ABCDiamond

Foreign Investment Review Board
The Board examines proposals by foreign interests to undertake direct investment in Australia and makes recommendations to the Government under its foreign investment policy.

Old Jan 18th 2004, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

evorobin is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
Gareth
I bought a house three months after arriving on a temporary residencey visa. Don't recall be asked tbh...
Old Jan 18th 2004, 11:28 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by evorobin
I bought a house three months after arriving on a temporary residencey visa. Don't recall be asked tbh...
I'm not sure that anyone ACTUALLY gets asked

I wonder how they would find out ?

Old Jan 18th 2004, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

evorobin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
I wonder how they would find out ?
When they catch you growing skunk and seize your assets most probably
Old Jan 18th 2004, 12:09 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

You need to check with FIRB as ABC mentioned. Dagboy is on a temp visa & we bought a property, however I am a citizen & we have bought it to live in which is the difference I believe. We cant buy any investment properties (in both names, they have to be in my name only) until he has PR. Do a search on here, its been discussed quite a few times.
Old Jan 18th 2004, 3:23 pm
gld
Forum Regular

gld is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
Gareth
FIRB Approval is required for those on temp visas - you can request that and you can get it post offe, i.e. you can have retrospective approval which you should get automatically - they will tell you not to do it again.

I heard from a senior civil servant because it concerned us when advising what the downsides were and he said that if you are on a temp visa and you do not advise the FIRB on two occasions that FIRB tell DIMIA and DIMIA don't like it. It could cause visa to be reviewed - if in doubt call FIRB.

As for finding out - they will pick it up via the "system".

Cheers