Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a pc online - how to avoid credit card surcharge?

Buying a pc online - how to avoid credit card surcharge?

Old May 5th 2005, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future
Default Buying a pc online - how to avoid credit card surcharge?

Hi all
We are thinking of buying a notebook on line (Fujitsu Tablet T4010 for you techies) and to avoid problems of import duty/foreign warranties etc etc found it would be just as easy to buy it online and have it delivered to my mum's in Queensland ready for when I land (only 8 weeks OMG OMG).

Anyways, all the websites seem to want to charge 1.5% or 2.0% for using a credit card and one has said it must be an Australian credit card. One website (minidigital) has agreed to match lowest price ($3707), give me free postage if I pay by direct deposit. Does anyone know how I could do that through the UK banking system?

Any advice welcome.
Old May 5th 2005, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying a pc online - how to avoid credit card surcharge?

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester
Hi all
We are thinking of buying a notebook on line (Fujitsu Tablet T4010 for you techies) and to avoid problems of import duty/foreign warranties etc etc found it would be just as easy to buy it online and have it delivered to my mum's in Queensland ready for when I land (only 8 weeks OMG OMG).

Anyways, all the websites seem to want to charge 1.5% or 2.0% for using a credit card and one has said it must be an Australian credit card. One website (minidigital) has agreed to match lowest price ($3707), give me free postage if I pay by direct deposit. Does anyone know how I could do that through the UK banking system?

Any advice welcome.
direct deposit can be done online from any UK bank account, all you need is the sort code and account number to transfer the money into

not a bad spec laptop but personally I would buy a Dell in the UK and take it with me (you won't have to pay import duty)

Last edited by boom_meringue; May 5th 2005 at 4:57 pm.
Old May 5th 2005, 4:59 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Why don`t you save your time and dosh and buy one there? If you pay cash you`ll probably get a discount.

Or buy one here duty-free (fill in the vat-back form which you hand in at the airport).... then just walk through Aus customs

OR... buy a Shuttle XPC and kit it to your own specs, and a tft..... much better than a laptop as they`re much more powerful and you can upgrade them (unlike laptops). They are easily portable (in their bag). Only lose out on the using it on a train etc thing.

Well, I went for option 3 anyway.... much cheaper than a laptop. www.ebuyer.com or www.microdirect.co.uk
Old May 6th 2005, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

Zentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the rough

Got my Dell laptop through Grays Online. Both Dell & Toshiba dispose of surplus stock through them, Toshiba normally include a warranty but Dell charge you extra.

The other thing to consider is that if your Australian employer does something called salary sacrifice the tax office allow you to buy a laptop income and sales tax (GST) free. That could work out to be 50% off retail depending on you tax bracket.

Papa Z
Old May 6th 2005, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare
direct deposit can be done online from any UK bank account, all you need is the sort code and account number to transfer the money into

not a bad spec laptop but personally I would buy a Dell in the UK and take it with me (you won't have to pay import duty)

I've checked with my bank and they said we can't do direct deposit because it's to a foreign bank. The best they can suggest is Swift (£20 charge) or order a foreign currency cheque (£12 charge)

There have been threads on here recently about Airport immigration making you pay duty on new laptops under 12 months old. there's also the international warranty issue.
Old May 6th 2005, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stormz
Why don`t you save your time and dosh and buy one there? If you pay cash you`ll probably get a discount.

I need to be up and running with the internet as soon as I arrive to be able to find work and a place to live.

Or buy one here duty-free (fill in the vat-back form which you hand in at the airport).... then just walk through Aus customs

Not sure how to do that. I did ask a web based company and they said can't do VAT back on mail order.

OR... buy a Shuttle XPC and kit it to your own specs, and a tft..... much better than a laptop as they`re much more powerful and you can upgrade them (unlike laptops). They are easily portable (in their bag). Only lose out on the using it on a train etc thing.

Well, I went for option 3 anyway.... much cheaper than a laptop. www.ebuyer.com or www.microdirect.co.uk
Done that, got one, it's coming with my son. Used micro direct as well.
Old May 6th 2005, 9:15 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Hope you buy the tft in Aus.... hate to have to carry that one through the airport. The shuttle would be fine (hope you got the shuttle bag) as it`s just like a large handbag... so is hand luggage.

Suggest you buy a flexible keyboard for when you travel with the shuttle... and also a Logitech Trackball (the one with the ball on the left side, so your thumb uses it..... MUCH nicer/better/less space than a normal mouse).