Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a laptop at home or in Australia?

Buying a laptop at home or in Australia?

Old Oct 17th 2009, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

rottenralph is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a laptop at home or in Australia?

Hi all,
Im moving to Sydney on a 175 in January and need to buy a laptop(preferably with in-built webcam) to keep in touch with family at home in Ireland.
Would it be cheaper to buy one here before i go or buy one over there? Or would it be cheaper in Northern Ireland with sterling at all time low against euro?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Old Oct 17th 2009, 10:44 pm
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Buying a laptop at home or in Australia?

Depends what currency your buying with. Then why not simply try comparing something like to like e.g. apple.com/uk/ v apple.com.au

Last edited by harrip; Oct 17th 2009 at 10:46 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 2:52 am

bjbrian has a spectacular aura aboutbjbrian has a spectacular aura aboutbjbrian has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by rottenralph
Hi all,
Im moving to Sydney on a 175 in January and need to buy a laptop(preferably with in-built webcam) to keep in touch with family at home in Ireland.
Would it be cheaper to buy one here before i go or buy one over there? Or would it be cheaper in Northern Ireland with sterling at all time low against euro?
Thanks in advance
Its not a big problem, but keep in mind the keyboard is slightly different in oz. We use the american version. The \ moves as does $ and # and @. I think thats the main changes. You can work around it, but if you are going to be using an oz one at work, it may confuse the issue to have a uk one at home.

Brian.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

Cant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really nice

Also bear in mind that you will have no warranty if you buy a U.K laptop and take it to Australia.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cant rain all the time2
Also bear in mind that you will have no warranty if you buy a U.K laptop and take it to Australia.
Why? I purchased a Toshiba laptop in the USA last year and it came with a 1 year global warranty.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 6:57 am
Banned

haveaniceday is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally i prefer to buy U.K laptop and take it to Australia..that will make things easier..when i check sony laptop, I find that this Sony VAIO NS30E/S Laptop looks good. (amazon uk). Hope it helps.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 7:03 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a UK laptop with a worldwide warranty and took it to Oz. Was able to search immediately for homes and jobs then.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juliecabs
I bought a UK laptop with a worldwide warranty and took it to Oz. Was able to search immediately for homes and jobs then.
With the added bonus it has a UK keyboard layout when you move back to Blighty!

Howdy Julie.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 7:28 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
With the added bonus it has a UK keyboard layout when you move back to Blighty!
Howdy Julie.
And hello to you too. Someone else who's up early on a Sunday morning.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

And hello to you too. Someone else who's up early on a Sunday morning.
Yep. Nice 'n frosty outside.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Pretty sure my Asus had worldwide warranty too.

What is the Oz equivalent to Dabs? If not can anyone recommend web sites for computers in Brisbane? Not necessarily to to buy mail order from but to compare prices. I know there is google but prefer to know what people here think.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 9:59 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rottenralph
Hi all,
Thanks in advance
Do you have kids of school age. If so, then the educational tax refund can be used to effectively give 50% off a new computer (up to a certain amount). In which case you'd be better off buying in Aus.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 8:39 pm
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

Yeah I was thinking the same thing but don't bother comparing apply uk to apple oz as they charge the same in all countries save for the exchange rate.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 9:50 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haveaniceday
Personally i prefer to buy U.K laptop and take it to Australia..that will make things easier..when i check sony laptop, I find that this Sony VAIO NS30E/S Laptop looks good. (amazon uk). Hope it helps.
The customer reviews look a bit iffy
Old Oct 19th 2009, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Dell's have transferable warrantee too - just email them and they'll change it so no need to worry there...