Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying house in Aus when not present

Buying house in Aus when not present

Old Dec 7th 2012, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

windy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying house in Aus when not present

We have CPM 143 visas already validated but have not yet sold our UK house and upped sticks to live full time in Aus.

Is it possible to buy a house in Aus withut being present in the country?

Reason for question:

After many visits over the last few years staying with family we have got to know the property market pretty well in that location where we will be buying. The internet realestate.com is a powerful tool with good pics of house interiors etc and we have Google earth and streetview, admittedly not up to date.

Our daughter could do the negotiating and the viewing etc so - provided we were happy to take the risk - we could theoretially make a purchase decision from the UK.

However, that is not the ssame thing as proceeding through the purchase process contractually and legally. Can that be done at a distance?

I have heard that the Aus Foreign Investment Bureau would take an interest and the process could become very complex.

Any comments?
Old Dec 7th 2012, 9:32 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying house in Aus when not present

Originally Posted by windy1
We have CPM 143 visas already validated but have not yet sold our UK house and upped sticks to live full time in Aus.

Is it possible to buy a house in Aus withut being present in the country?

Reason for question:

After many visits over the last few years staying with family we have got to know the property market pretty well in that location where we will be buying. The internet realestate.com is a powerful tool with good pics of house interiors etc and we have Google earth and streetview, admittedly not up to date.

Our daughter could do the negotiating and the viewing etc so - provided we were happy to take the risk - we could theoretially make a purchase decision from the UK.

However, that is not the ssame thing as proceeding through the purchase process contractually and legally. Can that be done at a distance?

I have heard that the Aus Foreign Investment Bureau would take an interest and the process could become very complex.

Any comments?
Hello there,

I can't answer all of your questions but the body of which you speak is the Foreign Investment Review Board and their website is here: http://www.firb.gov.au/content/default.asp

I bought a vacant block whilst here on holiday before I had any type of residency visa. I may have hit lucky but the person I dealt with at the FIRB was completely helpful. I think the only condition was that I had to spend 10% of the purchase price on "improvements" within 2 years.

There are different rules regarding vacant blokes / new builds and pre-owned properties.

Hopefully someone will be along with the rest of what you need to know.

In any event, I don't think the situation will become very complicated. The FIRB is mainly concerned with preventing large scale buy up of land / property by foreigners whose only thought is a quick profit.

You could email them to ask a few questions.

You would need to be here to sign contracts I would think.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
Hello there,

You would need to be here to sign contracts I would think.
Not neccessarly as I sold a house in NZ recently and everything was done via the internet.
Agent emailed me the contract I printed and signed it and then scanned it and emailed it back as an attachment. Same process was done by my NZ solicitor for all documents. Make sure you get a solicitor who is internet aware as my first choice didn't even reply to my request even though he was the one the dealt with the purchase.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
Not neccessarly as I sold a house in NZ recently and everything was done via the internet.
Agent emailed me the contract I printed and signed it and then scanned it and emailed it back as an attachment. Same process was done by my NZ solicitor for all documents. Make sure you get a solicitor who is internet aware as my first choice didn't even reply to my request even though he was the one the dealt with the purchase.
Likewise, we sold a house we owned in Australia without leaving the UK. It was before the internet so stuff got posted but it didn't take long.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

If CP143 is a permanent visa, as I believe it is, you don't need to involve the FIRB - see http://www.firb.gov.au/content/Exemp...exemptions.asp.

And yes, it is perfectly possible to buy a house whilst not in Australia. We bought our unit by auction over the phone (we had an agent bidding for us) and the whole process was pretty straightforward.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 3:52 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes

There are different rules regarding vacant blokes .....
I have nothing useful to add to the thread but this bit did make me laugh
Old Dec 9th 2012, 9:42 am
Just Joined

windy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks to all - very helpfu;