Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a House on a 457 visa..Did you expereince any problems??

Buying a House on a 457 visa..Did you expereince any problems??

Old Oct 31st 2007, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Buying a House on a 457 visa..Did you expereince any problems??

Originally Posted by smoggieswilltravel
Hi

We're hoping to buy a house end of Feb 08, we are currently on a 457 visa with PR visa application lodged (but it could take a while).

We are aware that we would have to ask premision to purchase but have heard that in some case when an offer is initially accepted and then the buyers hear that we have to apply for premision (which we have heard can take 21 days) the buyers then turn down the offer.

Has anyone run in to any prolems with this one.

Any info most welcome.

Cheers
We are currently going through the process at the moment.

We recently visited Sydney prior to moving over in January. We wanted to get a view on areas to live but at the end of the day we came to the conclusion that decent rentals are very hard to come by in the areas we were looking at and were very expensive. We also found a place that we really liked so we have decided to buy.

We do not yet have a Visa but have been told it will be granted towards the middle / end of November, after which we can submit the FIRB application. We have a local solicitor (recommended by the agent) who is advising us.

We approached the bank first of all (Wespac) and they will do a provisional loan application (cost free) which only takes 2-3 days so at least we know we can get the money.

We put in an offer (on a take it or leave it basis) through the agent and informed them straight away that we would need an extended completion (12 weeks). The vendor is not particularly happy about this but they have accepted our offer.

We have had clauses inserted in the contract that if we do not receive either the Visa or the FIRB approval then we can terminate the contract.

At the end of the day whether you can secure the property you want will depend (as in all cases, irrespective of relocation) on how desperate the vendor is and how good your offer is. We have been pushed very hard to exchange quickly but the important thing is not to be bullied. After all it is a big financial commitment. However, I would be tempted to agree to an early exchange (to give the vendor comfort) but make sure you include adequate protection for yourself.

After we had agreed the price and a completion date, the vendor decided to continue marketing the property, however I indicated to the agent that if they were to continue to do this then I would withdraw my offer. I suspect in some areas this may not wash.

I will let you know how we get on.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinH
We are currently going through the process at the moment.

We recently visited Sydney prior to moving over in January. We wanted to get a view on areas to live but at the end of the day we came to the conclusion that decent rentals are very hard to come by in the areas we were looking at and were very expensive. We also found a place that we really liked so we have decided to buy.

We do not yet have a Visa but have been told it will be granted towards the middle / end of November, after which we can submit the FIRB application. We have a local solicitor (recommended by the agent) who is advising us.

We approached the bank first of all (Wespac) and they will do a provisional loan application (cost free) which only takes 2-3 days so at least we know we can get the money.

We put in an offer (on a take it or leave it basis) through the agent and informed them straight away that we would need an extended completion (12 weeks). The vendor is not particularly happy about this but they have accepted our offer.

We have had clauses inserted in the contract that if we do not receive either the Visa or the FIRB approval then we can terminate the contract.

At the end of the day whether you can secure the property you want will depend (as in all cases, irrespective of relocation) on how desperate the vendor is and how good your offer is. We have been pushed very hard to exchange quickly but the important thing is not to be bullied. After all it is a big financial commitment. However, I would be tempted to agree to an early exchange (to give the vendor comfort) but make sure you include adequate protection for yourself.

After we had agreed the price and a completion date, the vendor decided to continue marketing the property, however I indicated to the agent that if they were to continue to do this then I would withdraw my offer. I suspect in some areas this may not wash.

I will let you know how we get on.

So glad you wrote this!! If our house sells before we get to Oz I would definitely consider doing this. We know the area we want to move to and have 2 sets of good friends who know what we want and could fully check out a house for us if we thought we wanted it. Using the internet to examine all photos etc I think that this idea could definitely work.

Thanks,
Ren
Old Oct 31st 2007, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by RenShen
So glad you wrote this!! If our house sells before we get to Oz I would definitely consider doing this. We know the area we want to move to and have 2 sets of good friends who know what we want and could fully check out a house for us if we thought we wanted it. Using the internet to examine all photos etc I think that this idea could definitely work.

Thanks,
Ren
I would recommend that you have a look personally if you can before you put an offer in. We saw a lot of houses that we liked but did not like the area - which of course you don't see on the internet.

BTW I lived on the wirral until I was 18 - small world.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinH
I would recommend that you have a look personally if you can before you put an offer in. We saw a lot of houses that we liked but did not like the area - which of course you don't see on the internet.

BTW I lived on the wirral until I was 18 - small world.

Well I hope the Gold Coast is bigger than it seems because, from BE alone, it might be full by the time that we get there!