Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying fridge-freezers in Bris?

Buying fridge-freezers in Bris?

Old Apr 12th 2005, 1:51 am
GLR
Forum Regular

GLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the rough
Default Buying fridge-freezers in Bris?

The time has come to buy a proper Aussie side by side fridge-freezer so that we can fit almost all our food in it to stop it melting/going off/being eaten by ants!

Can anyone advise on the cheapest place to buy freezers from in Brisbane as they're not cheap! We've tried Good Guys, Harvey Norman and Myer Megamart so far.

Cheers

GLR
Old Apr 12th 2005, 2:03 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying fridge-freezers in Bris?

Originally Posted by GLR
The time has come to buy a proper Aussie side by side fridge-freezer so that we can fit almost all our food in it to stop it melting/going off/being eaten by ants!

Can anyone advise on the cheapest place to buy freezers from in Brisbane as they're not cheap! We've tried Good Guys, Harvey Norman and Myer Megamart so far.

Cheers

GLR
fridge freezers are expensive in Oz...for the same one we had in the UK its $2200 we only paid 720 quid for it in UK
Old Apr 12th 2005, 2:09 am
ABCDiamond

Retravision, Betta Electric and Bi-Rite Electrical also do them. Have you haggled with good guys on the price ?

Any idea which make and model you want ?

Old Apr 12th 2005, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

LindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by GLR

Cheers

GLR
I've used the following auctions, which always have brand new electrical goods (some are seconds). The Courier Mail Business section on Saturday lists all the auctions taking place in the next week.

These have been the best we have come accross.

Grays, Isle Love and Baileys

I've just found this site which lists loads of factory outlets in Brisbane, so I don't know anything about the places listed.

Brisbane Discount Shopping and Factory Outlets

Here's an example from the link.

Electronic Sales & Service

901-903 Beaudesert Road Archerfield Qld Phone 07 3277 9588

Great range of factory seconds and ex display stock of whitegoods, TV’s, VCR’s, and small appliances. Major brands.

Off out now to see if I can get a cheap sofa.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

asfry is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GLR

Cheers

GLR
We looked at buying from Good Guys but then Harvey Norman in Aspley had a sale on and found a better deal in their sale so chose to buy there aswell. Good guys prices didn't seem to bad, I was even able to haggle a price on a $40 power surge protector.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 5:14 am
GLR
Forum Regular

GLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Retravision, Betta Electric and Bi-Rite Electrical also do them. Have you haggled with good guys on the price ?

Any idea which make and model you want ?
Hi ABCD

We're looking at a Samsung SRS618DP cos it's got an iced water dispenser and we're not used to having to put a jug of tap water in the fridge to get cold water! How does the mains water stay cold in England even when it's scorching outside? (very rare I know).

Cheers

GLR
Old Apr 12th 2005, 5:29 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by GLR
How does the mains water stay cold in England even when it's scorching outside? (very rare I know).
Ground has a much higher thermal capacity than air i.e. the same amount of energy (heat) produces a much smaller temperature rise, so below the surface it stays cooler than the air above. Coincidentally I heard someone talking on the radio earlier about keeping water or food or something cool by burying it (and this was in Oz, not the UK). I love coincidences!
Old Apr 12th 2005, 5:38 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by GLR
How does the mains water stay cold in England even when it's scorching outside? (very rare I know).

Cheers

GLR
Pipes in the UK are deep underground (in comparison), I am sure they run them through the roof here before getting to the taps
I think they are even insulated in the UK houses, mainly I suppose to stop them freezing, but with the side effect of stopping them getting too hot.

I can't find that model on the internet anywhere, other than to confirm it's electrical running cost at about $103 py.

Old Apr 12th 2005, 6:40 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GLR
Hi ABCD

We're looking at a Samsung SRS618DP cos it's got an iced water dispenser and we're not used to having to put a jug of tap water in the fridge to get cold water! How does the mains water stay cold in England even when it's scorching outside? (very rare I know).

Cheers

GLR
Hi GLR,

We just bought a Samsung SRS733DW a couple of months back, water & ice dispenser, next one up from your model I think (733litres). We got ours from Good Guys, haggled alot & got it delivery included, I think we ended up getting about $400 off (not a huge amount considering it cost about $3000 I guess :scared: ), but better than paying full price.

Now we just have to get our kitchen done so that we can get the thing plumbed in & actually use the cold water filter & ice maker .
Old Apr 12th 2005, 6:47 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

I can't find that model on the internet anywhere, other than to confirm it's electrical running cost at about $103 py.

Googled:

http://www.samsung.com/au/products/r...s/srs618dp.asp
Old Apr 12th 2005, 6:50 am
GLR
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Hi GLR,

We just bought a Samsung SRS733DW a couple of months back, water & ice dispenser, next one up from your model I think (733litres). We got ours from Good Guys, haggled alot & got it delivery included, I think we ended up getting about $400 off (not a huge amount considering it cost about $3000 I guess :scared: ), but better than paying full price.

Now we just have to get our kitchen done so that we can get the thing plumbed in & actually use the cold water filter & ice maker .
Hi MrsDB

How have you found the fridge - any regrets on getting that one?

I fear we'll have the same problem as you had with plumbing it in for the ice and water. We're moving into a rental place so unless we're very lucky with the pipes being in the right spot then we'll probably have to wait until we buy a house before we can use it properly.

Hopefully that'll be before next summer or there'll be many wistful stares at the ice dispenser when it starts heating up again!

Cheers

GLR
Old Apr 12th 2005, 6:51 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jayr
Ahh Yes, I set my google searches to just search Australian sites. Must remember to widen the search when at first I don't succeed

Old Apr 12th 2005, 7:30 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GLR
Hi MrsDB

How have you found the fridge - any regrets on getting that one?

I fear we'll have the same problem as you had with plumbing it in for the ice and water. We're moving into a rental place so unless we're very lucky with the pipes being in the right spot then we'll probably have to wait until we buy a house before we can use it properly.

Hopefully that'll be before next summer or there'll be many wistful stares at the ice dispenser when it starts heating up again!

Cheers

GLR
No regrets at all - only problem was that it was too big to fit through the kitchen doorway & we had to take the doors of the fridge off to get it in . Not that the doorways in our house are small or anything, they are standard size , but the fridge itself is HUGE! The smaller model hopefully wouldnt have that problem.

Our problem is that our kitchen is nothing more than a shell at the moment (we dont even have any actual walls, just studwork), so plumbing for us will have to wait until we get it renovated later this year. Having said that, we fill up the ice container with a bag of ice from the servo & it dispenses it fine, so at least we are getting some use out of it (& the fact that its 3 times bigger than our old fridge which is the reason we bought it in the first place ).
Old Apr 12th 2005, 7:37 am
Rocket Scientist

This is ours
http://www.samsung.com/au/products/r...Specifications

just checked the specs, depth with handle on ours is 884mm (explains why it struggled to fit through a 900mm doorway), yours is only 759, so it should fit through without too many hassles .