Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Importing a left hand drive car.

Importing a left hand drive car.

Old Apr 10th 2005, 11:10 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Importing a left hand drive car.

Anyone know if there are any problems importing a left hooker ?

And will it be a nightmare to re-register etc.
Rgds
JD
Old Apr 10th 2005, 11:46 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing a left hand drive car.

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers

Rgds
JD
Think you will need to contact the dept of transport for the state you wish to register it in, and maybe customs at a federal level.

In WA for example it has to carry compliance plates. Not exactly sure what they are or how you go about getting them. In first instance try this link:

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm
Old Apr 10th 2005, 11:49 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Rgds
JD
PS: Left Hand Drive vehicles do get into (and are driven around in) OZ, so just a matter of doing your research
Old Apr 10th 2005, 11:51 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
PS: Left Hand Drive vehicles do get into (and are driven around in) OZ, so just a matter of doing your research
Thanks Kiwichild. !!
Old Apr 10th 2005, 1:58 pm
Banned

Thanks Kiwichild. !!
Your'e welcome
Old Apr 11th 2005, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

No expert but I've never seen a LHD car in Oz. I thought all cars HAD to be RHD to get registered or driven anywhere in Oz. Suggest you check carefully before thinking about importing one.

This Site seems to confirm my thinking.
Old Apr 11th 2005, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Bodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really nice

Rgds
JD
What is it ? It might well be more trouble than it's worth, depending on the type of car
Old Apr 11th 2005, 2:10 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
No expert but I've never seen a LHD car in Oz. I thought all cars HAD to be RHD to get registered or driven anywhere in Oz. Suggest you check carefully before thinking about importing one.

Definitely have LHD vehicles here in Perth. mostly ford mustangs, caddillacs, etc.
Old Apr 11th 2005, 2:14 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul

Looks like a commercial website. Best to check with Australian Government websites. Good starting point would be: www.customs.gov.au
Old Apr 11th 2005, 2:19 pm
Banned

Have found further information and recommendations on this subject at:

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4371

Looks like this page should definitely be viewed !
Old Apr 11th 2005, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Bodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really nice

Have found further information and recommendations on this subject at:

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4371

Looks like this page should definitely be viewed !
Useful stuff. One thing I've failed to track down so far is a list of exactly what the standards are which vehicles have to meet. I know things like flat mirrors, an immobiliser and child restraints are needed for some states, but I'd like to make sure my car can be successfully modified to meet the standards before shipping it.
Old Apr 11th 2005, 2:46 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bodger
Useful stuff. One thing I've failed to track down so far is a list of exactly what the standards are which vehicles have to meet. I know things like flat mirrors, an immobiliser and child restraints are needed for some states, but I'd like to make sure my car can be successfully modified to meet the standards before shipping it.
Im pretty sure that immobilsers, child restraints and mirrors are universal: ie; if the car manufacturer doesnt specifically make them for your model a generic one can be purchased. Indeed worth checking it out thoroughly before you go to the expense of shipping it here.
Old Apr 11th 2005, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Im pretty sure that immobilsers, child restraints and mirrors are universal: ie; if the car manufacturer doesnt specifically make them for your model a generic one can be purchased. Indeed worth checking it out thoroughly before you go to the expense of shipping it here.
There's a bit more to it than that for me, it's an old/unusual car, so I'm concerned if it will meet safety, crash protection, emissions regulations and the like.
They just don't seem to be published anywhere.
I'm getting an imobiliser fitted, I don't need restraints 'cos it's a 2 seater, and I've got flat mirrors, but I'm concerned there may be something more fundamental I can't comply with.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Seems if the car is more than 15 years old you might be ok. Found this site for WA. Also gives phone numbers for questions.

Depends on what state you are going to.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 5:33 am
Up in the air

Originally Posted by Bodger
What is it ? It might well be more trouble than it's worth, depending on the type of car
Its a 911 convertible, but i have had a fair bit of work done to it, and im reluctant to sell it on

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.