Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a digital camera in Oz or from USA?

Buying a digital camera in Oz or from USA?

Old Mar 9th 2004, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

piers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant future
Question Buying a digital camera in Oz or from USA?

Hi,

Been meaning to buy a digital SLR camera for a while now. Have my eye on the Canon 300D which I have been quoted in Sydney for 1750 (with lense). :scared:
Have tried the usual places in Sydney such as Digital City and Georges and Teds etc etc. But in the US it retails for about US$950.

So I am really tempted to buy one online from the US - has anyone tried this? Even if I buy it there and pay GST when it arrives here I will be better off.

Or does anyone have any Oz shops or sites that I can get a better deal?

Thanks,

Piers
Old Mar 9th 2004, 1:18 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Make sure you get an international warranty with it. If it has a power supply you may have to purchase a 240v50Hz one.

I am interested to see the result.

From the following it looks like Canon do not allow online sales and competition for their SLRs.

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.co...egory158_1.htm
Old Mar 9th 2004, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

THYE.A. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying a digital camera in Oz or from USA?

Originally posted by piers_morgan
Hi,

Been meaning to buy a digital SLR camera for a while now. Have my eye on the Canon 300D which I have been quoted in Sydney for 1750 (with lense). :scared:
Have tried the usual places in Sydney such as Digital City and Georges and Teds etc etc. But in the US it retails for about US$950.

So I am really tempted to buy one online from the US - has anyone tried this? Even if I buy it there and pay GST when it arrives here I will be better off.

Or does anyone have any Oz shops or sites that I can get a better deal?

Thanks,

Piers
Cameras in OZ are very expensive compare to Singapore/Malaysia,
partly due to the exchange rate.

Have you considered the newly launched Nikon D70.

Also , pls do some research on www.dpreview.com
Old Mar 9th 2004, 7:57 pm

Originally posted by THYE.A.
Cameras in OZ are very expensive compare to Singapore/Malaysia,
partly due to the exchange rate.

Have you considered the newly launched Nikon D70.

Also , pls do some research on www.dpreview.com
It seems that with the new exchange rates that suppliers are taking the margin for the cheaper imports rather than passing them on to the customer.
Old Mar 9th 2004, 9:41 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
Make sure you get an international warranty with it. If it has a power supply you may have to purchase a 240v50Hz one.

I am interested to see the result.

From the following it looks like Canon do not allow online sales and competition for their SLRs.

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.co...egory158_1.htm
Most modern power supplies are voltage sensing & can run on 110 or 240V.
Old Mar 9th 2004, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

[QUOTE]Originally posted by piers_morgan
Hi,

is there really a store in sydney called Georges and Teds, those are the names of my two boys, they hate man united as well.
Old Mar 9th 2004, 11:18 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by andy thomas
Originally posted by piers_morgan
Hi,

is there really a store in sydney called Georges and Teds, those are the names of my two boys, they hate man united as well.
www.teds.com.au

And there is a camera store called Georges.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

piers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant future

there's one company in th US who have quoted me about AUS$1550 inc delivery, an additional charger that will work here (which I guess I may not need, accorfding to Amazulu). Not sure what import duty I have to pay (anyone know - customs site is a nightmare), but GST will take it to about AUS$1650 anyway, so hardly worth all the effort and nail biting to get it from the US. Will have to flash the cash this Saturday on George St and see who will give me the best deal.

Are there any decent Oz comparison/electrical goods sites I can persuse?

Ta,

Piers

PS Going for the Canon rather than the Nikon as I already own a couple of lenses from my Canon 3000n
Old Mar 10th 2004, 1:06 am

IMO Canon and Nikon make excellent cameras and lenses. It is hard to make a case to go either way.

Piers you should certainly be able to flash the cash and get a discount. They may not discount the main unit but you will be able to bargain on getting a lot of stuff thrown in for free.

You will also get quoted different prices from different salesmen in the same store. Let us know the result.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, I plan to check out Ozzie websites as well to see what prices I can get online and then see whether the highstreet shops will beat them. If anyone knows of any decent electrical/visual e-shops then that would be great.

Piers
Old Mar 10th 2004, 5:06 am
joem

I've just been looking at the new Panasonic FZ10 with a Leica lens, looks pretty good, check it out here -

http://www.megapixel.net/html/issueindex.php?lang=en

This site is the best on the net, for digital camera reviews

joem

Old Mar 10th 2004, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks
Old Mar 12th 2004, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

Ansy is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm from the US, and I agree that cameras are cheaper in the US. If you bought one, you'd have to request the seller to send a dual/"intelligent" power plug that can also convert to the Aussie 240V 50Hz power etc.. Also, iyou may have to pay custom duties/fees/GST.....Grrr I don't know what it's called in Oz, but I believe it is 10% the value of the camera.

However, you could get bargains on camera deals on auction sites like

www.ebay.com.au
Old Mar 12th 2004, 3:35 pm
Application in!

Andy66 is an unknown quantity at this point

I echo Ansy's post.

I sell budget Digital Cameras on Ebay. The 300D is a great choice, but I would strongly suggest you look at the Nikon D70 - it is similar money and edges it in quite a few departments.

The US version of the Canon is called the "rebel" and if you look on ebay, you will see they attract less money than the full UK spec - although I am not 100% sure why, other than voltage difference in the power supply, but they may be slightly different spec.

Watch out for Customs Duty - it can be horrendous. You will probably be stung for VAT & Excise before they will deliver it (although you may be lucky) which can wipe out any savings you would make.

With the exchange rate just now you might be as well getting a cheap flight to the US and buy it there!

Andy