Reload this Page >

Buying a Car without RWC in NSW

Buying a Car without RWC in NSW

Old Apr 6th 2009, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

msn81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a Car without RWC in NSW

Hi all,
I'm new to this Forum and to Sydney! I've tried searching this question but had conflicting answers which is making me more confused! Can anyone demystify? Please!

I'm looking to buy a car in NSW, but most cars are advertised with REGO but without a Road Worthy Certificate (RWC - I believe this is the same as a 'Pink Slip'). For clarity, the car is not a 4x4, is more than 3 years old and does not have interstate plates on it. However, I thought in order to transfer the rego into the new owner's name it is compulsory to present a RWC (no more than 30 days old) to the RTA. Therefore:

1) If I buy a car without a RWC can I transfer the remaining Rego into my name?
1.1) If so, does the car ever need to have a safety inspection / when does it need a RWC?
2) If you can't answer these specific questions any paperwork advice on buying a car will be appreciated?!!

Thank you!
Mark
Old Apr 6th 2009, 3:05 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Buying a Car without RWC in NSW

Check out these two links...

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...cancelled.html

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...ed.html?rlid=2

It appears to say you may need a blue slip aswell........

A blue slip ? I don't remember blue slips when I was in NSW...

Old Apr 6th 2009, 3:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msn81
Hi all,
I'm new to this Forum and to Sydney! I've tried searching this question but had conflicting answers which is making me more confused! Can anyone demystify? Please!

I'm looking to buy a car in NSW, but most cars are advertised with REGO but without a Road Worthy Certificate (RWC - I believe this is the same as a 'Pink Slip'). For clarity, the car is not a 4x4, is more than 3 years old and does not have interstate plates on it. However, I thought in order to transfer the rego into the new owner's name it is compulsory to present a RWC (no more than 30 days old) to the RTA. Therefore:

1) If I buy a car without a RWC can I transfer the remaining Rego into my name?
1.1) If so, does the car ever need to have a safety inspection / when does it need a RWC?
2) If you can't answer these specific questions any paperwork advice on buying a car will be appreciated?!!

Thank you!
Mark
Having been through this, and now forgotten the details, I'm glad I don't live in NSW...no help there....
Old Apr 6th 2009, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Check out these two links...

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...cancelled.html

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...ed.html?rlid=2

It appears to say you may need a blue slip aswell........

A blue slip ? I don't remember blue slips when I was in NSW...

Thanks ABCDiamond, but the links provide info on driving without Registration. My questions regard the Road Worthy Certificate.

I've also read that in NSW a RWC needs to be renewed anually making it the same as a MOT in the UK, thus a car should come with a RWC but it can be more than 30 days old and will be sufficient for me to transfer the REGO into my name? Is this true?
Old Apr 6th 2009, 7:28 am
ABCDiamond

I've been wondering about this, and the conclusion that I have come to is that a RWC, otherwise now known as the "e-Safety Check" (formerly known as pink slip) is only valid for 42 days anyway.

Therefore, it's only use is for registration, as opposed to the UK MOT, which technically is valid for 12 months, saying your car is fit for use during that 12 months.

Not having had an old car in NSW, for a long time, I can't actually recall the process.

I get the feeling that you don't need one until the rego is due, as one of the earlier links (that I thought I had posted but didn't !) stated "A vehicle's existing CTP insurance will be automatically transferred when the registration is transferred. You don't need to do anything about CTP insurance until the registration is due for renewal."

Consequently, just advise the change of owner, pay the transfer duty etc and you should be OK till rego time.

Not like in QLD, when we do need a safety check on transfer of ownership, but not at any other time

Old Apr 6th 2009, 8:06 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go into your nearest RTA office and ask them. Seems to be a bit confused
Old Apr 6th 2009, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding is that the pink slip needs to be done within 30 days of the car being sold.

Don't read too much in to the pink slip though as any gaurantee....where I take my camper van they looked at the tyres and that was it. They gave me a brake test report, but I couldn't even see that they had a machine/rollers to do the test on!
Old Apr 6th 2009, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

My last rego renewal stated my car does not need a pink slip until it is 5 years old, no idea if that would make a difference as I bought the car new 3.5 years ago
Old Apr 6th 2009, 11:38 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msn81
Thanks ABCDiamond, but the links provide info on driving without Registration. My questions regard the Road Worthy Certificate.

I've also read that in NSW a RWC needs to be renewed anually making it the same as a MOT in the UK, thus a car should come with a RWC but it can be more than 30 days old and will be sufficient for me to transfer the REGO into my name? Is this true?

Try clicking on the other links provided, specifically e-safety check. All the correct and relevent information for vehicles in NSW is contained in this NSW government Road and Traffic Authority website.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for your help! I've got off my lazy butt and been into an RTA office and have got all the answers! Here is a detailed description which may help others:

Buying a car in NSW –(as at Apirl 2009)!

REGO (Registration) = Like Car Tax in the UK, the REGO can be purchased for 6 / 12 Months at various RTA outlets (+ renewals (not transfers) can be done online via the RTA website). When getting REGO the RTA will provide you with a small rectangular sticker to put in the LHS car window.

Pink Slip (aka E-Safety Inspection) = Road Worthy Inspection, valid for 42 days, this is required for renewing your registration or obtaining new registration where the car has been unregistered for less than 90 days.

Blue Slip = Road Worthy Inspection + Vehicle Identification checks (VIN / Engine checks), valid for 28 days, this is required for obtaining new registration where the car has been unregistered for more than 90 days or if the vehicle comes without license plates (e.g. – when buying an interstate car the plates will need to be changed to NSW plates when the REGO expires).

Green Slip = Compulsory Third Person Insurance, (I think) generally valid for the duration of the Rego. Unlike the UK, Insurance stays with the vehicle, not the person. Therefore when transferring existing REGO, this will be transferred into your name and valid until the REGO expiry. You will need to arrange a new Green Slip when the REGO is due for renewal. If the Car is unregistered you will need to arrange a new Green Slip yourself, try http://prices.maa.nsw.gov.au for price comparisons.

So:
1) Buying a car less than 5 years old requires REGO and INSURANCE, but does only requires a Blue Slip if the car has been unregistered for more than 90 days or comes without NSW Plates.

2) Buying a car 5 years or older WITH existing Rego – All you need to do is go to the RTA office and transfer the REGO + Green Slip into your name / address (+ you will require an NSW License if you don’t have one yet). 42 days or less before the Rego is due to expire you need to take it to a mechanic and obtain a Pink Slip in order to renew the Rego. (This test seems pretty basic, check the tyres, brakes – not an indication of mechanical soundness!)

3) Buying a car 5 years or older WITOUT existing Rego – The seller is not obliged to sell the car with a valid Pink Slip, but if they do it makes it easier for you! If not you need to get either a Pink or Blue Slip yourself from a local mechanic. You then need to get a Green Slip and finally you can now get the REGO + vehicle details transferred into your name.

When getting a Pink / Blue / Green Slip all the details are sent automatically to the RTA, so you don’t have to wait to obtain documents in the post or anything like that. So if you’re on the ball it is possible to sort everything out within a few hours.

You can check the RTA website for renewing / transferring / Stamp Duty Fees!

Easy (when you have someone explain it all to you)!

Hope this helps others
Mark