Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a car...where?

Buying a car...where?

Old Jul 27th 2004, 12:23 am
Just Joined

fcuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a car...where?

Soon to be arriving in Melbourne and need info on buying a second car for the family.
Ideally would like a used 4x4(Cherokee,Land cruiser...).Only gonna be in Oz for 1 year so I'm thinking that I would like something fairly new as not to pay out for repairs.Should I purchase a new one on HP,pay it back each month for the year we're here then just sell it back to dealer when we leave or are second hand cars quite reasonable down under?

Cheers for any info on this!
Old Jul 27th 2004, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Buying a brand new car you will take a 25% loss as soon as you drive it out of the showroom with respect to it's resale value back to the dealer (just like in the UK).

1 year old cars aren't exactly cheap either but you won't take anything like as big a loss on selling it back to the dealer. Also don't expect a 1 year old car to be 25% cheaper than new as we are talking about car salesman here and they will pay as little as possible when purchaseing and charge as much as possible when selling.

IMHO the best policy is to buy second hand from a dealer and sell privately if possible.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 6:45 am
Melbourne, St Kilda

joninoxford will become famous soon enough

Try travellers autobarn. They are designed for people who only want a car for a year. They buyback the car from you at around 50% what you paid. You normally pay around $4000 for a stationwagon (usally a Ford Falcon). That includes a Australian wide warranty on any repairs. Not just for backpackers, new immigrants use them too!

http://www.travellers-autobarn.com.au/
Old Jul 27th 2004, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

evorobin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying a car...where?

Buy secondhand or your throwing money away. My advice would be to buy a cheap magna, not exactly exotic though...