Reload this Page >

Buying a car in Australia...

Buying a car in Australia...

Old Jun 21st 2014, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

Webley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a car in Australia...

Hi Everyone,

Moving to Sydney in the next few months on 457 visa. I'm trying to budget for buying/running a car - we currently are a two car family in the UK (as I work and commute in two locations, my wife has a little run around) so trying to estimate a) cost of buying a reliable car and b) running costs (tax/MOT or anything else I need to think about other than fuel)?

Thanks!
Old Jun 21st 2014, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a car in Australia...

It's not wildly different to the UK in terms of what you have to think about. Other than you have to buy two types of insurance here, your regular insurance and your CTP. I have found insurance much more expensive here as there is not so much competition.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

....and the price of second hand cars is very high.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all

Depends on the car, we have a 2008 territory ghia which we paid 18k for, 93ks, smart car, two car insurance is 900 a year.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute

This'll give you an idea about car prices , there's also a value cars facility on this site which will give you an idea of wholesale prices as well.

Used Cars - New Cars - Search New & Used Cars For Sale - carsales.com.au
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 5:34 am
Just Joined

Webley is an unknown quantity at this point

That's really helpful, thanks everyone.

I have a mid-range Volvo that's a great car. Looking into shipping it over as don't think I'd get a decent £ for it and would only have to fork out more for the same thing in $ by the looks of it.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 1:54 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Webley
That's really helpful, thanks everyone.

I have a mid-range Volvo that's a great car. Looking into shipping it over as don't think I'd get a decent £ for it and would only have to fork out more for the same thing in $ by the looks of it.
Couple of things to be aware of - used cars in Oz only come with a warranty if you purchase from a car yard, there's no warranty if you buy privately except if the car is still under new car warranty, in which case the balance of the warranty is transferred to you.

Cash is king in the used car industry - car yards put a whopping markup on used cars so don't be afraid to bargain hard from a position of strength as a cash buyer.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 3:25 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

before thinking of shipping it over, have a search of this forum for the associated costs, then look to see what the equivalent car sells for here, assess what you can sell it for there and work out whether the shipping and import costs are worth it.