Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

buying business using house at home as collateral!!

buying business using house at home as collateral!!

Old Jun 10th 2012, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

annkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud of
Default buying business using house at home as collateral!!

I want to the business in which i work in, using the house that i own outright at home in Scotland as collateral to fund the finance needed.
Does anyone know of a company that will allow me to do this in Australia?
Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: buying business using house at home as collateral!!

it won't be easy and unless youve got an extensive background within the industry youre seeking to take over the business (and the business has red hot financials and youre maintaining its successful management), you may find it difficult to acquire via a mainstream lender.

you could use clydesdale whom are primarily a scottish bank, have them value the property and provide a letter of credit (effectively a bank guarantee) as security for your lending here... then walk into nab who'll accept clydesdale LC's on face value at 100%.

i suspect others will do the same but failing that, refinance your existing property take cash and bring back to australia - cash is king.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

Craig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to all
Default Re: buying business using house at home as collateral!!

Originally Posted by phat-dave

i suspect others will do the same but failing that, refinance your existing property take cash and bring back to australia - cash is king.
Agreed - the path of least resistance will be to draw the equity from your property in Scotland and then bring to Australia. No bank will lend against an overseas security given they cannot sell (easily) should they need their money back, nor do they have the resources to work out if it is acceptable security etc (by doing valuations and so on).