Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Should I move back to Aus?

Should I move back to Aus?

Old Jun 5th 2012, 11:33 am
Just Joined

BonzaBloke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should I move back to Aus?

With so many people endeavouring to obtain that coveted visa to a new life down under, I wonder if there are many who have already done that, been there, come back and are now wanting to return to Aus for good, but need to overcome the usual financial and emotional obstacles firstly before booking that one way ticket back?

I lived in Sydney between 1999 and 2002 where I became a citizen, then following redundancy and a desire to put my life in order returned to the UK. I have regretted it ever since and am now desperate to return. So what's stopping me?

I moved to Aus after throwing in my career as a stressed and underpaid London teacher. Having spent the previous 18 months retraining as a web designer and arriving in Aus with just £500, I found myself in work within a week and soon settled into the Manly beach lifestyle and considerably lowered stress levels and improved health.

But at aged 40 I had outgrown the back packer scene I ended up in and wanting more of a career, property investment and family, thought a stint back in Blighty might work before returning to Aus permanently. It did, sort of.

I am now very happily married, own two properties worth about the same as what I paid for them 8 years ago and am carrying the all too common personal debt burden. My career has moved on and I am now a highly paid contract ecommerce project manager. I also just turned 50!

I reckon that within 18 months I'll have cleared the debt, have off loaded one of the properties, the other becoming a rental safe harbour if it doesn't work out in Aus second time around and should have about £50k for the move back to Aus.

My wife, who is 13 years younger and a non EU trained senior nurse but not eligible to work as a nurse in Aus until her language skills improve (to an impossible IELTS level 7) is also keen to go. But whereas such a move would have been easy for me in my youth, it now just feels altogether more risky.

Firstly, can I find the work and will it last? I know IT project management is in demand in Aus, but then there are significant age barriers and I believe Aus to be far worse than the UK in this respect. My trick has always been not to let on about my age and work as contractor. I am generally thought to be a good ten years younger by people who don't know me.

Secondly, is there any hope of setting up a mortgage with AU$60K at 52 years of age? Australian house prices look as scary as the UK these days.

Despite my profession, I am actually a risk taker at heart having moved between jobs, lived and worked around the world and benefitted from that spirit of adventure and enterprise. I believe my sense of adventure, hard work and flexibility would see us through a second time in Aus, but the psychological barriers are different this time. Or are they?

BonzaBloke

Last edited by BonzaBloke; Jun 5th 2012 at 11:43 am.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I move back to Aus?

Originally Posted by BonzaBloke
With so many people endeavouring to obtain that coveted visa to a new life down under, I wonder if there are many who have already done that, been there, come back and are now wanting to return to Aus for good, but need to overcome the usual financial and emotional obstacles firstly before booking that one way ticket back?

I lived in Sydney between 1999 and 2002 where I became a citizen, then following redundancy and a desire to put my life in order returned to the UK. I have regretted it ever since and am now desperate to return. So what's stopping me?

I moved to Aus after throwing in my career as a stressed and underpaid London teacher. Having spent the previous 18 months retraining as a web designer and arriving in Aus with just £500, I found myself in work within a week and soon settled into the Manly beach lifestyle and considerably lowered stress levels and improved health.

But at aged 40 I had outgrown the back packer scene I ended up in and wanting more of a career, property investment and family, thought a stint back in Blighty might work before returning to Aus permanently. It did, sort of.

I am now very happily married, own two properties worth about the same as what I paid for them 8 years ago and am carrying the all too common personal debt burden. My career has moved on and I am now a highly paid contract ecommerce project manager. I also just turned 50!

I reckon that within 18 months I'll have cleared the debt, have off loaded one of the properties, the other becoming a rental safe harbour if it doesn't work out in Aus second time around and should have about £50k for the move back to Aus.

My wife, who is 13 years younger and a non EU trained senior nurse but not eligible to work as a nurse in Aus until her language skills improve (to an impossible IELTS level 7) is also keen to go. But whereas such a move would have been easy for me in my youth, it now just feels altogether more risky.

Firstly, can I find the work and will it last? I know IT project management is in demand in Aus, but then there are significant age barriers and I believe Aus to be far worse than the UK in this respect. My trick has always been not to let on about my age and work as contractor. I am generally thought to be a good ten years younger by people who don't know me.

Secondly, is there any hope of setting up a mortgage with AU$60K at 52 years of age? Australian house prices look as scary as the UK these days.

Despite my profession, I am actually a risk taker at heart having moved between jobs, lived and worked around the world and benefitted from that spirit of adventure and enterprise. I believe my sense of adventure, hard work and flexibility would see us through a second time in Aus, but the psychological barriers are different this time. Or are they?

BonzaBloke
You sound like a regret what you didn't do rather than regret what you did do kind of guy, so I would say do it!
However you will have to be prepared for a few annoying things like not getting the same kind of job straight away with the same rate of pay, which some professionals find very hard.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

I wasnt in Oz back then... But having felt the changes in costsof living over the last 5 years I'd be reluctant to take a major risk and start afresh here at your age in this economic climate.....

Depends what you want....

If you dont you'll always wonder "whatif"

If you do you may well struggle... Or may not... No one has a crystal ball...

Good luck with whatever you decide.....

By the way... A 7 in the ELTS isnt at all undoable.... I know plenty of non native english speaking nurses who have managed it.... Just requires a bit of hard work and determination... As would immigration....
Old Jun 5th 2012, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

I agree, it's a bit of a crystal ball, for anybody thinking of making the move whether they have done it previously or not.

On balance though, the risks can be mitigated and where there's a will there's always a way.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

You will be looking at adding 400k minimum to your 60k. I personally think you are mad to be contemplating that at 50.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingobob777
You will be looking at adding 400k minimum to your 60k. I personally think you are mad to be contemplating that at 50.

My uncle is still backpacking round the world, he is 76 now. Wants to find love and get married again too

Agree on funds, Main thing that would stop me moving here now, if I had seen it in 2000 would be the extreme cost of everything now. 2000 was the golden boom age of australia and it is a different planet now.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Why not come back over for a year or two and rent and see how it goes? Sounds like you'll be able to sort some contract work and you'll have somewhere back in the UK if it all goes tits up. I don't think you should necessarily settle for your lot just cos you've hit 50 if you're unhappy with it.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 4:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

In all honesty if your earning good money, I would be looking for as early retirement as possible rather than risking a good albeit boring thing.

Try and have as many holidays as possible along the way.

If it's a risk your after, start your own enterprise in the UK.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice

Cost of property is probably the big thing, I'm a few years younger than you and brought more cash but even with my wife and I on good wages (me also senior IT contracting in finance) Sydney housing was just too expensive. Thing is the older you are the more dependant on the AU$ value of your savings than your income you are. Cheaper places to live than Sydney (with lower incomes) may make more sense.

Still, if you can give it a try with minimal risk why not?
Old Jun 6th 2012, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Scottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Should I move back to Aus?

Its sounds like you've made you mind up - If you love the ideal of the beach before work and passing that gift on to the kids, then get down to the flight centre.

If you enjoy the interior of pubs and general nostalgia then I suggest you buys some new brogues and a travel card.

Look outside Sydney if your going to buy. Newcastle, NSW is an absolute gem of a spot. Your pounds would most likely still get you a spot on the water up there.. you can get the seaplane to sydney

Consider transferring/applying your skills to the resources sector..
Old Jun 6th 2012, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

jen85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Why don't you set up as a freelancer? That way you can continue with some UK work with your current employer if you're still doing web design? Would be handy if they get any urgent work - instead of them hammering it out overnight they can just email it to you to do in your day and it'll be there for them at 9 in the morning when they get up in blighty. You're sure to make more money working freelance as well...
Good luck with everything!
Old Jun 6th 2012, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

BonzaBloke here following the replies above. Thanks.

It's a mixed bag of responses which just goes to show how specific the choice is to move down under.

I think the main barrier for me is how much the cost of living and house prices have shot up in Aus recently. I thought house prices were climbing quickly during and after the Olympics, but right now it looks to be a major challenge for anyone of average income unless they arrive with a big wedge.

My thought is to go back to Aus just the same but make sure we can return if it doesn't work out.

Also, Sydney might be good for work, but not for buying a place and actually I wouldn't want to live there again.

I think the idea will be to arrive and follow the work whilst renting, then if it looks as if it is going to pan out, buy a place in a less expensive place whilst keeping hold of a property in the UK.

At some point the equity in both should convert to a single property outright purchase.

Does anyone have a view on Adelaide, Perth, or even outer suburbs of Melbourne? Is it an easier nut to crack that Sydney?

Thanks for the replies and encouragement - another long wet UK bank holiday has certainly got me dreaming of taking up my life back in Aus again!
Old Jun 7th 2012, 6:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

TBH, unless you are really well minted, I wouldnt bother. Australia is not really good for older people getting restarted in life - you will be slogging away for far longer than if you stayed in UK earning good money. I'm with the others - stock up the coffers then retire and use Australia for holidays. If it aint broke, dont fix it!
Old Jun 7th 2012, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Scottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really nice

its never going to be hard to come up with a colourful list of cons...

he who dares rodders..
Old Jun 7th 2012, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scottoir
its never going to be hard to come up with a colourful list of cons...

he who dares rodders..
I'm a bird in hand type, just to explain where I'm coming from. If i were under 40 I'd jump at it. Over 40 and I'd be counting the days to where I can go where I want when I want by earning as much and retiring as early as possible. At 57 that feeling gets more intense every year.

I seriously considered moving back to the UK around 4 years back, because I wanted a change and for the first time in History house prices in London matched those in Melbourne and I saw a golden opportunity. Worked out it could set my retirement back by quite a few years though, especially when I saw that income would be a lot lower for me in the UK.

I'm coming at this mostly from an age related point of view.... nothing wrong with the intent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.