Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a boat in Oz, any advise please

Buying a boat in Oz, any advise please

Old Mar 16th 2007, 10:17 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice
Default Buying a boat in Oz, any advise please

Hi

Does anyone have any ideas about buying a boat. My Sons are nagging me for one, I have wanted one for ages and we are seriously considering one. It won't be for going far ofshore, just along waterways and around the edge of the coast. We all love fishing and would use it for fishing as well as just chilling out on the water. Down on Tallebugera creek there is also an area where you can pull ski tubes etc. Has anyone ever bought a boat to find it something you use all the time or did you use it in the beggining only to leave it out front most of the year.

We are not thinking of spending loads on one but enough to get a comfortable one easy enough to tow behind a Ford Fairmont.

Cheers E
Old Mar 17th 2007, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Santa is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Buying a boat in Oz, any advise please

Originally Posted by Eric the Viking
Hi

Does anyone have any ideas about buying a boat. My Sons are nagging me for one, I have wanted one for ages and we are seriously considering one. It won't be for going far ofshore, just along waterways and around the edge of the coast. We all love fishing and would use it for fishing as well as just chilling out on the water. Down on Tallebugera creek there is also an area where you can pull ski tubes etc. Has anyone ever bought a boat to find it something you use all the time or did you use it in the beggining only to leave it out front most of the year.

We are not thinking of spending loads on one but enough to get a comfortable one easy enough to tow behind a Ford Fairmont.

Cheers E
We bought one about a year ago. If your buying 2nd hand there really is very little point buying from a dealer, they offer nothing in the way of warranties but rest assured, they put a bit on the price !
May not be a bad idea though to wonder around a few dealers to see what's on offer and get an idea of price, size etc !
Go down to your local boat ramp and see what's going into the water, not much point buying a tinny if a tinny's not going to do the job. Also, if you have a local sea rescue outfit go and chat with them, those people really do know what's going on.
Good luck
Mark
Old Mar 17th 2007, 3:26 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Originally Posted by Santa
We bought one about a year ago. If your buying 2nd hand there really is very little point buying from a dealer, they offer nothing in the way of warranties but rest assured, they put a bit on the price !
May not be a bad idea though to wonder around a few dealers to see what's on offer and get an idea of price, size etc !
Go down to your local boat ramp and see what's going into the water, not much point buying a tinny if a tinny's not going to do the job. Also, if you have a local sea rescue outfit go and chat with them, those people really do know what's going on.
Good luck
Mark
Thanks for that Mark, I have thought about going on a course which is available down here and learning more about boating. I was thinking of something larger than a tinny, I see kids out on the water all the time in them setting crab pots and generaly going around fishing in them. I have started looking on ebay for prices too. A few of my neighbours have boats but in 6 months have never seen them move off the driveway.

E
Old Mar 17th 2007, 4:43 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I'm doing my boat licence this Sunday, I think you have to do this for any boat over 8hp.

Originally Posted by Eric the Viking
Thanks for that Mark, I have thought about going on a course which is available down here and learning more about boating. I was thinking of something larger than a tinny, I see kids out on the water all the time in them setting crab pots and generaly going around fishing in them. I have started looking on ebay for prices too. A few of my neighbours have boats but in 6 months have never seen them move off the driveway.

E