Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying Aussie dollars

Buying Aussie dollars

Old Jan 5th 2007, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

Loz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud of
Default Buying Aussie dollars

Hi folks,
we are flying out to Melbourne on the 14th January and want to order some cash to take (Au$) with us.
Who offers the best rates? The P.O are currently selling at $2.35.

Cheers, Loz
Old Jan 5th 2007, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

BertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying Aussie dollars

Originally Posted by Loz4Oz
Hi folks,
we are flying out to Melbourne on the 14th January and want to order some cash to take (Au$) with us.

Cheers, Loz
We always use M&S as their rates are better - here's the link

http://www.fxcorporation.co.uk/marks...ange_rates.asp

Ann
Old Jan 5th 2007, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Loz4Oz
Hi folks,

Cheers, Loz
Hiya

For holiday money we've always found the cheque guarantee centre to have the best rates on the high street.

Nikki
Old Jan 5th 2007, 5:32 pm
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

You could always try travelex.com, good rates, order and pay online and pick up at the airport - easy.

Lou
xx
Old Jan 5th 2007, 7:55 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weasy
You could always try travelex.com, good rates, order and pay online and pick up at the airport - easy.

Lou
xx
Yup, and I thought Travelex advertise that their rates will always be the best... The only thing to watch out for I think is that if you pay online your own bank might treat it as a cash withdrawal from another banks ATM and make a small charge as such... That's happened to us before... Perhaps if it's a only a small amount just turn up at the Travelex office and exchange with pounds cash...
Old Jan 5th 2007, 8:59 pm
ANNE&JAY

ANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud of

We fly out from Manchester also on the 14th January for a month. I got some Aussie dollars today and the rate was 2.381. That was from Thomas Cook but I have been watching the rate and it seems to be going down. The week before christmas they were offering 2.425.

If I was you I'd get them as soon as possible!

Anne

p.s we used cash to avoid any charges
Old Jan 5th 2007, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Loz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud ofLoz4Oz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ANNE&JAY
We fly out from Manchester also on the 14th January for a month. I got some Aussie dollars today and the rate was 2.381. That was from Thomas Cook but I have been watching the rate and it seems to be going down. The week before christmas they were offering 2.425.

If I was you I'd get them as soon as possible!

Anne

p.s we used cash to avoid any charges
Thanks Anne, who are you flying with? We're going from Manchester with Emirates.

Thanks for the replies folks, it's been a great help.

Cheers, Loz
Old Jan 5th 2007, 10:25 pm
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Not if you get a Nationwide debit card........

Lou
xx

Originally Posted by rodders39
Yup, and I thought Travelex advertise that their rates will always be the best... The only thing to watch out for I think is that if you pay online your own bank might treat it as a cash withdrawal from another banks ATM and make a small charge as such... That's happened to us before... Perhaps if it's a only a small amount just turn up at the Travelex office and exchange with pounds cash...
Old Jan 5th 2007, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a nationwide debit card you can just take out the cash when you get there, no worries and no charges - not sure about the rate though.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 9:14 am
ANNE&JAY

ANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud of

Hi Loz,
We go from Manchester as well with emirates at approx 19.45. Are we on the same flight. If so we can meet up and have a chat. Also I went shopping in Manchester yesterday and bought some more dollars at Marks and spencer for 2.381. Hope you have got sorted.

anne xxx
Old Jan 8th 2007, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ANNE&JAY
Hi Loz,
We go from Manchester as well with emirates at approx 19.45. Are we on the same flight. If so we can meet up and have a chat. Also I went shopping in Manchester yesterday and bought some more dollars at Marks and spencer for 2.381. Hope you have got sorted.

anne xxx
Hi Anne,
we fly at 13:30, it can't come round soon enough though. I'm really stressing now. We sold (more like gave away ) our cars today, packers come on Wednesday we will complete on the house on Friday, leaving do Friday night... god will I be ready for that.
We got our dollars at M&S too, we didn't even need to order them, at least something's going right for us!!

Good luck with your move and hope you have a good flight, Loz.