Reload this Page >

But what about the cats?

But what about the cats?

Old Aug 2nd 2005, 8:43 am
F.U.B.A.R

Homer will become famous soon enoughHomer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: But what about the cats?

Originally Posted by PeteY
Ok, well of course these are my opinions.....

1) Cats do more damage at night, which is why they should be inside after dark. Many councils reconise this, and some are introducing a curfew (Bendigo for example).
2) I am not here to welcome people to Australia. However, i do my best to give advice, and my opinions where i can. If what i write goes against your grain. Sorry.....but tough.
3) So.....your comment about "going" down the street and telling off all the big car drivers....Are you by any chance saying that i can comment on the ecosystem in any way that doesnt effect you? I don't give a hoot about cars right now.....right at the moment i am on the subject of cats. Do cars in another thread and you will get my opinion on that there.
4) I am not saying that you cannot own a cat. I am saying that you should not be allowed to let them roam free. You don't see pet dogs running around the countryside, so why should cats be allowed to do the same.
5) Next time i have a cat turd on my lawn.....do you fancy flying over to clear it up for me?

Please do note.....i am not saying you CAN'T own a cat. I am simply saying that you should be a responsible pet owner.
1.Sorry curfew for cats yer like that will ever work how do you monitor that you cant a anyone that thinks that will work well more fool them.
2.I know you are not the welcome wagon for Australia (Thank god)
3.Australia's ecosystem is very important to me so as you put it tough if i want to bring the subject to twats with big cars and small well you know the rest into this thread thats my option,
4.Don't know what part of Australia you are in but i have seen pet dogs running around free unless the Wilde ones now have collars as well.
5.Don't think it is always the cats that s**t on your lawn I'm sure plenty of the responsible dog owners out there will let there dog do the same and not clear it up don't just blame it on the cats.
But at the end of the day we all have our own views on the subject and that is fine we all live in a free world well most of us do so you can say what you want as we all can
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 8:44 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PeteY
Pet cats aren't a huge problem (however, they are still a factor)...ferals do most of the damage.

Good on you for keeping it in at night.
I've seen that cat tree on TV, the one in WA where they hang the ferals..
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 8:47 am
Grumpy Old Woman!!

Moody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the roughMoody Cow is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by bridiej
This is the exact reason I never let mine out, I worry for THEIR safety not just the native critters.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 8:58 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Homer
1.Sorry curfew for cats yer like that will ever work how do you monitor that you cant a anyone that thinks that will work well more fool them.
It works well.....simply because any cat out at night is taken to the pound and waits there to be claimed. There is then a fine when its collected.

3.Australia's ecosystem is very important to me so as you put it tough if i want to bring the subject to twats with big cars and small well you know the rest into this thread thats my option,
Yes, its your option, but i won't discuss my opinions on it here becuase in a forum you generally try to stay on the topic of the thread.

4.Don't know what part of Australia you are in but i have seen pet dogs running around free unless the Wilde ones now have collars as well.
Well, we don't get them around here. The occasional feral dog yes, but they are rare. Far less common than cats, feral or not.

5.Don't think it is always the cats that s**t on your lawn I'm sure plenty of the responsible dog owners out there will let there dog do the same and not clear it up don't just blame it on the cats.
Never had a dog turd on the lawn. Regular cat "jobs" though. You can tell the difference between the two quite easily.

But at the end of the day we all have our own views on the subject and that is fine we all live in a free world well most of us do so you can say what you want as we all can
Yes. I agree.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 9:03 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bridiej
Theres a guy on Kangaroo Island who makes stubby holders, coats, hats and rugs out of em! He sells them to tourists.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 9:19 am
F.U.B.A.R

Lets be honest when out at night how many cats do you see
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

Lets be honest when out at night how many cats do you see
Our cats do more damage here at night than they ever do in the day, we regularly wake up to a mangled blue tit, vole or mouse.

Our boys will be coming with us, why would I leave behind a member of my immediate family? We will however be making sure that they stay in at night, as much for their own safety as for the fauna. I don't fancy having my cats taken out by a snake or lizard at night and I don't want them bringing us in any surprises!
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 11:54 am
F.U.B.A.R

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare
Our cats do more damage here at night than they ever do in the day, we regularly wake up to a mangled blue tit, vole or mouse.

Our boys will be coming with us, why would I leave behind a member of my immediate family? We will however be making sure that they stay in at night, as much for their own safety as for the fauna. I don't fancy having my cats taken out by a snake or lizard at night and I don't want them bringing us in any surprises!
You will not need the cats to bring you any surprises they will crawl in themselves lol
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Bounty Girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: But what about the cats?

Hello - This is my first time on this forum so please be gentle with me.
I'm currently waiting for my 457 visa to come through so i can then book my flight and arrange for my cat to come over too and start a life in Sydney.
My worry is whether she will cope with the flight - she is a pretty nervous cat.
How did anyone elses cat's handle the flight / quarrentine? Got any advice?
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 1:46 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bounty Girl

Hello - This is my first time on this forum so please be gentle with me.
I'm currently waiting for my 457 visa to come through so i can then book my flight and arrange for my cat to come over too and start a life in Sydney.
My worry is whether she will cope with the flight - she is a pretty nervous cat.
How did anyone elses cat's handle the flight / quarrentine? Got any advice?
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Our two pussies are fairly nervous about travelling and I shall be glad when they're safely there. The one especially drools all over everything on every visit to the vet, and cries piteously, so I'm not expecting the trip to be easy for them. It's not possible to sedate them with drugs, but I am going to use homoeopathic remedies for all three of our pets (German Shepherd as well as two cats). Our homoeopathic vet has recommended 3 doses of Gelsemium 30c spaced over the day before they leave, but if there is still terror after that, Arg. Nit. 30c would be good just before flying. Assuming that you are able to administer them of course. Our pets are going into kennels/cattery for a couple of weeks before they fly out and the owner is very homoeopathically inclined, so we can trust him to dose them up for us!

Good luck and I hope your puss has a safe and not too traumatic trip.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Bounty Girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice - I shall take a trip to town and get some of those pills you mentioned.
Cant wait til i can actually book my flight! Waiting for this visa is painfull
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

my cats went today, the house is so damn quiet without them. It was horrible waking up this morning without them hassling us for breakfast at 6:55 just before the alarm went off.