Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Business Migration

Business Migration

Old Nov 8th 2004, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

twinny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Business Migration

Can someone please advise on Business Migration we have been advised to apply under Business Owner (Provisional) 163 visa my husband is a self-employed Painter and Decorator, I am a Senior HR Manager and have been for 41/2 years, we have sufficient assets to meet $A250,000, we are looking to live in NSW and have friends living there at the moment. We have applied to have our skills assessed, we are looking to establish our own painting and decorating business.

Thanks
Old Nov 8th 2004, 9:18 pm
Cheeky

Default Re: Business Migration

Hi there twinny!!

Im sorry, I cant help you with any info but I thought I would welcome you to the forum!! (And give your thread a little bump back to the top!! )

Hope you find out what you need to know, have you tried a search?

Cheers,
Cheeky

Originally Posted by twinny
Can someone please advise on Business Migration we have been advised to apply under Business Owner (Provisional) 163 visa my husband is a self-employed Painter and Decorator, I am a Senior HR Manager and have been for 41/2 years, we have sufficient assets to meet $A250,000, we are looking to live in NSW and have friends living there at the moment. We have applied to have our skills assessed, we are looking to establish our own painting and decorating business.

Thanks

Old Nov 8th 2004, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Cheeky
Hi there twinny!!

Im sorry, I cant help you with any info but I thought I would welcome you to the forum!! (And give your thread a little bump back to the top!! )

Hope you find out what you need to know, have you tried a search?

Cheers,
Cheeky
Thanks for the feedback do you know how to obtain state sponsorship.
Old Nov 8th 2004, 9:29 pm
Cheeky

No sorry, chuck I dont!

But dont worry, Im sure someone on here will!!!

Cheeky

Old Nov 8th 2004, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Sherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the rough

Thanks
Just a thought have you looked into the skilled visa route first? In our experience even if you have a business you should only apply for the business route if your hubbie can't fulfil the skilled visa entry criteria. My hubbie is a self employed builder and we have a building business but we were wrongly advised to look at business migration. Later an agent told us the skilled visa is better as it leads straight to permanent resident status. with the business visa you will only get temporary residency until you can prove you can make suficient income in Australia, i think it takes 4 years to get permanent res by this route, but check with others first, and if you dont meet the income level you then have to return to the UK.

I would try and speak with a reputable migration agent to make sure the business route is best for you. We were told because my hubbie didn't have City and Guilds he had to apply for business migration. Later we found out as he was under 45 and had done a proper training for his trade with on the job training he could get his skills assessed and apply for the skills visa.
Old Nov 8th 2004, 11:29 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherie
Just a thought have you looked into the skilled visa route first? In our experience even if you have a business you should only apply for the business route if your hubbie can't fulfil the skilled visa entry criteria. My hubbie is a self employed builder and we have a building business but we were wrongly advised to look at business migration. Later an agent told us the skilled visa is better as it leads straight to permanent resident status. with the business visa you will only get temporary residency until you can prove you can make suficient income in Australia, i think it takes 4 years to get permanent res by this route, but check with others first, and if you dont meet the income level you then have to return to the UK.
This is absolutely correct - first port of call should be general skilled migration. Both TRA and AIM assessments are complex, but it might be possible to replace one of these with a Vetassess assessment.

If general skilled doesn't work there's a possibility for one of the business visas, business owner, senior exec or even investor (although AUD 250k is not enough for that).

With such a complex array of options, good professional advice is not something you should regard as optional.

Jeremy
Old Nov 9th 2004, 1:58 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm ... if you go with the 163 visa pathway make sure your business accounts for two of the last four years show a level of turnover that meets the requirement of this visa category - have a read here:
http://www.gomatilda.com/visas/busin...ration.cfm#163

If your husband isn't employing anyone I would be surprised if his business turnover is at the $300k+ mark.

Like others, I'd expect the skilled visa pathway to be the most fruitful. We'll be happy to discuss your visa options and how we might help if you can complete the details here:
http://www.gomatilda.com/contact.cfm#appraisal

Best regards.

Thanks

Last edited by Alan Collett; Nov 9th 2004 at 2:01 am.
Old Nov 13th 2004, 8:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
This is absolutely correct - first port of call should be general skilled migration. Both TRA and AIM assessments are complex, but it might be possible to replace one of these with a Vetassess assessment.

If general skilled doesn't work there's a possibility for one of the business visas, business owner, senior exec or even investor (although AUD 250k is not enough for that).

With such a complex array of options, good professional advice is not something you should regard as optional.

Jeremy
On the 163 visa route my husbands business do not have enough turnover, however i am a HR Manager part of the Senior Management Team 41/2 years the company has a turnover of £16m - £20m, I wasl ooking to go down this route. In order for us to get into NSW this is our only route, we also have friends in NSW that have just estanlished their own business in Hairdressing and her husband is an MD. We have applied for skilled migration however my application as a Manager has been knocked back, because I don't have 5 years exp and don't have any manager reporting to me directly. We are part of a larger group but each business is run autonomy and therefore don't have any input from group. Should I appeal against their decision, but I don't have 5 years exp so does this stop me straight away? My GM will provide me with any info necessary. I have started to put together a business plan to send with the 163 visa request can anyone advise what my chances are likely to be i don't want to continue wasting money.
Thanks
Old Nov 13th 2004, 4:06 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

On the 163 visa route my husbands business do not have enough turnover, however i am a HR Manager part of the Senior Management Team 41/2 years the company has a turnover of £16m - £20m, I wasl ooking to go down this route. In order for us to get into NSW this is our only route, we also have friends in NSW that have just estanlished their own business in Hairdressing and her husband is an MD. We have applied for skilled migration however my application as a Manager has been knocked back, because I don't have 5 years exp and don't have any manager reporting to me directly. We are part of a larger group but each business is run autonomy and therefore don't have any input from group. Should I appeal against their decision, but I don't have 5 years exp so does this stop me straight away? My GM will provide me with any info necessary. I have started to put together a business plan to send with the 163 visa request can anyone advise what my chances are likely to be i don't want to continue wasting money.
Thanks
AIM assessments are very strict. However, if you can qualify for a senior executive visa, this may be an alternative and does not require AIM approval.

Just beware that a senior executive visa is not PR, so you need to qualify for this after arrival. I also don't know if it's acceptable to plan to use a senior exec visa to look for employment as opposed to setting up a business - you really do need to get professional advice as this visa is way 'off the beaten track' in terms of popularity and is not suitable for the DIY approach.

Also be aware: Business Owner and Senior Executive are different visas.

Jeremy