Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Old Jun 19th 2011, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of
Default Re: Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Well we succumbed. We won't be using the miles until winter 2012 so only bought 50+50 each and will hold out for another sale to get the extra 20 (hopefully as 10+10) we each need for MeL-LHR. We've already done MEL-LHR return and OH did MEL-AKL-SFO-ORD using the deal and I don't think we can go back to economy now!

I have explained the deal to a couple of people I work with and even sorted out a booking for the big boss (made the calls and everything) so I've got brownie points at work from this - it's just win win all round!
Old Jun 20th 2011, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

TakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond repute

The wife and I joined Dividend Miles on Friday, so should be able to take advantage of this latest promo.

I have a quick question about routes though. We go to South Africa every second year, but we couldn't seem to find a valid route on either Aeroplan or the ANA site, so I was wondering if it is possible to do Sydney-JNB and what the points for that would be?
Old Jun 20th 2011, 7:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TakenThePlunge
The wife and I joined Dividend Miles on Friday, so should be able to take advantage of this latest promo.

I have a quick question about routes though. We go to South Africa every second year, but we couldn't seem to find a valid route on either Aeroplan or the ANA site, so I was wondering if it is possible to do Sydney-JNB and what the points for that would be?
SYD-JNB direct is Qantas only
PER-SYD direct is SAA and they are in Star Alliance. Their daily service is usually close to full though. Thai maybe?
Old Jun 20th 2011, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

keefymonster is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you bcworld for sharing this information with the rest of us.
Thank you to the other posters for the input provided.
The information has been a real eye opener.

The wife and I have just taken the plunged and purchased 50+50 each.
Looking to travel from Brisbane or Sydney to LHR early October in business class.

Thanks again!

Keef ;o)
Old Jun 20th 2011, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

To you frequent business/first class flyers.....

If you can't get a (reward) direct flight from Bangkok to London on Thai in either business or first, nor from Singapore to London on Singapore Airlines, what's the best alternative (Star Alliance) airline/transit airport, bearing in mind that the passengers are elderly, have never flown in business or in first and don't wish to stop over anywhere?
Old Jun 20th 2011, 9:08 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louie
To you frequent business/first class flyers.....

If you can't get a (reward) direct flight from Bangkok to London on Thai in either business or first, nor from Singapore to London on Singapore Airlines, what's the best alternative (Star Alliance) airline/transit airport, bearing in mind that the passengers are elderly, have never flown in business or in first and don't wish to stop over anywhere?
I'd say ZRH is a good bet louie, availability is generally good and you have the option of Thai or Swiss. I think it's probably an easy transit.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

TakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
SYD-JNB direct is Qantas only
PER-SYD direct is SAA and they are in Star Alliance. Their daily service is usually close to full though. Thai maybe?
Thanks for that - I was hoping someone knew a routing that might work.

I found SYD-BKK-BOM-JNB but this involves a huge wait at BKK and is almost 48 hours in transit - which sort of negates the benefit of business.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 12:55 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I found SYD-BKK-BOM-JNB but this involves a huge wait at BKK and is almost 48 hours in transit - which sort of negates the benefit of business.
Yeah, that would not be fun. The main routes from Aus to SA are either direct or via Singapore, KL, Dubai. According to BC, it's hard to get these flights on Singapore Airlines. Have you tried looking at SAA flights?
Old Jun 21st 2011, 1:18 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Africa & South America are probably the most difficult zones to get travel to...and Africa is the most expensive ex Aus: 130k business / 160k first. So PER-JNB-PER is more expensive than SYD-LHR-SYD despite double the flying.

I wouldn't be particularly enthused by any of the intra Asia hops on TG...tends to be a pretty pony business class offered.

I don't really have any suggestions for JNB, other than make your own way to Perth and try for SAA.

You could probably get an AUS-SIN-JNB option on Singapore Airlines as long as you can avoid the A380 and 77W...it's certainly possible ex MEL, not sure what's flying into SYD these days, they chop n change it a lot.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

Tonyc88 is on a distinguished road

Just bought my 50k + 50k.

It looks like US Airways run the offer every three months or so (their ends of quarter according to their financials) so i'm just gonna stockpile a few hundred miles

Thanks again for pointing out this offer.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 1:23 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by bcworld
Africa & South America are probably the most difficult zones to get travel to...and Africa is the most expensive ex Aus: 130k business / 160k first. So PER-JNB-PER is more expensive than SYD-LHR-SYD despite double the flying.

I wouldn't be particularly enthused by any of the intra Asia hops on TG...tends to be a pretty pony business class offered.

I don't really have any suggestions for JNB, other than make your own way to Perth and try for SAA.

You could probably get an AUS-SIN-JNB option on Singapore Airlines as long as you can avoid the A380 and 77W...it's certainly possible ex MEL, not sure what's flying into SYD these days, they chop n change it a lot.
SAA business class is fantastic - I got a QFF flight to JNB with them. SIA use their older B777s into JNB, well they did until recently anyway.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 1:25 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Just to add to that...I read elsewhere that business seats on the Singapore A380 ex SYD are showing up as available on Aeroplan at the moment...and I had a look and it seems correct! Whether or not US will see them is another matter, but these MAY be bookable, whether by accident or design I don't know.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 1:26 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by Amazulu
SIA use their older B777s into JNB, well they did until recently anyway.
Yes they do, their fleet is all over the place in terms of what they've refurbed, what they haven't, what they've refurbed it with...I think it would probably be the old slopey skybeds?
Old Jun 21st 2011, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bcworld
Thanks for the great advice - PER-JNB is available and appears to have plenty of seats. So I need to buy 130K miles for this. Also it will be the wife and I - it's not a problem booking from 2 accounts is it?
Old Jun 21st 2011, 3:58 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Thanks for the great advice - PER-JNB is available and appears to have plenty of seats. So I need to buy 130K miles for this. Also it will be the wife and I - it's not a problem booking from 2 accounts is it?
From what others have said it seems not, but just make sure each account has 130k miles I think to be on the safe side.

Remember you can call up US to check availability and put seats on hold (most airlines) before buying the miles...consider doing this to check that US can see the seats you're seeing...I assume on Aeroplan?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.