British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/business-class-airfares-uk-europe-approx-%242700-%242800-rtn-653462/)

spouse of scouse Dec 28th 2013 10:26 am

Re: Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 11052485)
I just got off the phone with a very helpful young woman who booked our Northern hemisphere summer trip. It would have been easier to have just booked all the tickets on the one account, but the call centre staff at USAir were really helpful in getting us flights that all 3 of us could go to our chosen destinations in business.

So...I'm off to New York via BKK/PVG to meet up with my sister in June for a week before my husband and daughter meet up with me in Toronto for 2 weeks then the 3 of us are off to Prague for 5 days as a stopover before heading home.

Thanks again BC for all your help in getting me started on how to find flights. You're a :starsmile:

Woohoo, what a fabulous trip you've got to look forward to Dorothy! Re booking your seats, I called the Thai office in Perth and they were super helpful, no problem at all with specific seat requests. I think you'll be fine with calling the various airlines' Oz offices.

Jerseygirl Dec 28th 2013 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 11053478)
Thanks Louie. I'll try phoning their offices here in Australia on Monday. Maybe I can do it over the phone. :)

Give me a shout when you get to TO. :)

Dorothy Dec 28th 2013 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 11053920)
Give me a shout when you get to TO. :)

Will do!

brissybee Jan 1st 2014 4:00 pm

Can anyone please advise if there's any way to squeeze something extra out of a couple of (yet to be booked) flights from Brisbane to London in late March or early April?

Unless there's a rabbit lurking in a hat somewhere it'll be economy, probably one way as we can't give a firm return date.

From previous posts it seems we may have missed the boat on some excellent offers in the past.

Dorothy Jan 1st 2014 4:24 pm

When I looked online I could only find 2 tickets in business on every flight. When I rang USAir call centre the customer service people were really helpful in finding me great flights. We're all booked in business because she took the time and I was patient enough to be on the phone to the US for the time it took her to find them.

I would say ring USAir and speak to the people there.

And whoever told me to try ringing the airlines directly for seats was right. Thai was lovely and even managed to book my seats on Lufthansa for me as well which saved me a phone call.

Trippin MumBerry Jan 4th 2014 12:52 pm

A query about baggage allowance- I am booking a first class award flight (Aadvantage) for my parents from UK to Sydney, the first leg is a domestic flight to LHR- (BA) economy seats only- will they be allowed to use the first class baggage allowance for this flight or be restricted to the economy domestic weight for the whole trip? The itinerary is all on the one first class award. I can't seem to find an answer on the airline websites or Aadvantage.

louie Jan 4th 2014 7:53 pm

I think the answer is here i.e. "If your journey includes connecting flights with more than one airline, the checked baggage policy of the airline that operates the longer leg will apply".

You could try putting their AA PNR (six letter/digit code) into BA's Manage My Booking and see if it comes up - if it does it will specify the luggage allowance.

Ballys Jan 4th 2014 9:04 pm

The cook and daughter have booked a cruise from Barcelona in June, unfortunately can't get any business class from/to Perth to Barcelona. The only business class available with Lifemiles is Singapore to Barcelona with Swiss Air via Zurich and the return I can only get business Barcelona to Bangkok with Swiss to Zurich and Thai to BKK.

BC World, what do you reckon? Are Swiss Air good? And are there any alternatives I have missed. Want to leave Perth on 24th June 2014 and return on 10th July 2014.

bcworld Jan 5th 2014 9:21 am

Originally Posted by brissybee (Post 11059313)
Can anyone please advise if there's any way to squeeze something extra out of a couple of (yet to be booked) flights from Brisbane to London in late March or early April?

Unless there's a rabbit lurking in a hat somewhere it'll be economy, probably one way as we can't give a firm return date.

From previous posts it seems we may have missed the boat on some excellent offers in the past.

Sign up for LifeMiles...however a new promo isn't likely before Feb so it depends when you'd need to book by.

Originally Posted by Ballys (Post 11063614)
The cook and daughter have booked a cruise from Barcelona in June, unfortunately can't get any business class from/to Perth to Barcelona. The only business class available with Lifemiles is Singapore to Barcelona with Swiss Air via Zurich and the return I can only get business Barcelona to Bangkok with Swiss to Zurich and Thai to BKK.

BC World, what do you reckon? Are Swiss Air good? And are there any alternatives I have missed. Want to leave Perth on 24th June 2014 and return on 10th July 2014.

Swiss would be a good choice.

The main problem now, particularly from PER is that because SQ has removed all business class availability, except within 14 days of departure, you only have the one daily flight on TG to choose from. The timing of that TG flight is such that many of the connections onward to Europe are too long for LifeMiles which as a general rule won't offer any connection >8 hours. For example there are 2 seats on a TK flight to IST which should connect from that PER flight (on the 24th) but the connection is just a little over 8 hours and it doesn't come up online. That flight would then connect to an IST-BCN flight. All of this would be easy with US Dividend Miles but LifeMiles, unfortunately not.

k974 Jan 8th 2014 3:56 pm

Thank you BCWorld

BCWorld,

you may or may not remember that i posted just before christmas looking for last minute flights to Europe and you found availability in First with Thai for me.

Well i'm just back from the trip and i would like to thank you so much, the flights and the service both in the air and on the ground i.e 1hr massage in BKK etc was unreal. i mentioned in the first post that i would like to thank you, please pm me if there is something i could do for you.

i still have 300k miles and are getting nervous with the move to One World with what to do with them, i could book in another short trip for mid year but that still leaves 150K, also it seems very hard to find availability when you search for 2 seats? any tips?

Thank you again BCWorld for the help you gave me and remmeber to PM me if there is something i can do for you.

Thanks

Dorothy Jan 8th 2014 4:01 pm

Re: Thank you BCWorld

Originally Posted by k974 (Post 11070124)
i still have 300k miles and are getting nervous with the move to One World with what to do with them, i could book in another short trip for mid year but that still leaves 150K, also it seems very hard to find availability when you search for 2 seats? any tips?

I found that when I rang USAir they were more than helpful in finding us flights together. The trick I used was to phone them when it was the middle of the night over there so they likely wouldn't be as busy as if it was the middle of the day.

The call centre staff at US were amazing! They were really helpful and one guy apologised about 12 times for giving me a bad bit of advice at one point (he suggested a stop over in Las Vegas since we're going on holiday for our 20th anniversary) but realised after he found us flights and reserved them all that we couldn't do a stop in LAS after all.

If you give them some rough idea of where/when you want to go I found they were great at finding suitable flights. Good luck!

spouse of scouse Jan 13th 2014 5:45 pm

Howdy, can anyone tell me what region Indonesia and Singapore are in, according to United/American Airlines? Looking on the (probably outdated now) Star Alliance partner chart, I'd assume South Asia however neither countries are specifically mentioned.
Thanks

ps asking because, after the fiasco with getting scouse to and from the UK, I have a measly 60,000 points left and I don't think you can do anything with those from Perth.

bcworld Jan 13th 2014 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11077369)
Howdy, can anyone tell me what region Indonesia and Singapore are in, according to United/American Airlines? Looking on the (probably outdated now) Star Alliance partner chart, I'd assume South Asia however neither countries are specifically mentioned.
Thanks

United? Do you mean US?

Indonesia will be in the same zone as Singapore - it will be a 90k business redemption on US.

You can get 2 business returns to New Zealand for 60K...great value. Even PER to Cook Islands, Tahiti etc is just 30k.

spouse of scouse Jan 13th 2014 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 11077370)
United? Do you mean US?

Indonesia will be in the same zone as Singapore - it will be a 90k business redemption on US.

Oh yeah, I meant US, thanks :)

I think my 60,000 points are cactus.

bcworld Jan 13th 2014 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 11077371)
Oh yeah, I meant US, thanks :)

I think my 60,000 points are cactus.

Did you see my edit to that post?

Alternatively you can wait to transfer them to AA where they may get you a one way to Europe in business.