British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/business-class-airfares-uk-europe-approx-%242700-%242800-rtn-653462/)

Almo Sep 5th 2013 8:31 am

Re: Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Some years ago I booked my OH an itinerary that was (I think) MEL-AKL-SFO-ORD-SFO-MEL. Could be wrong on that last leg, maybe he went via AKL again. Anyway, it was a mix of Air NZ for the international legs and US for domestic.

bcworld Sep 5th 2013 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Almo (Post 10886743)
Some years ago I booked my OH an itinerary that was (I think) MEL-AKL-SFO-ORD-SFO-MEL. Could be wrong on that last leg, maybe he went via AKL again. Anyway, it was a mix of Air NZ for the international legs and US for domestic.

I haven't seen a transpac business class seat on NZ for a very loooooong time now.

SUPERCAD Sep 5th 2013 12:18 pm

Im on my way back to OZ on Tuesday iv got an 8hr layover in Bangkok, Iv heard there's a temple tour you can do. does anyone have any details and whether its worth doing?

Almo Sep 5th 2013 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 10886779)
I haven't seen a transpac business class seat on NZ for a very loooooong time now.

Shame, he said it was great and I was quite envious of the food options! It was May 2011 I think, and a single seat at fairly short notice. I seem to vaguely remember reading some discussion on FT that NZ seats were released much closer in than other airlines (or perhaps that more were released closer in? I can't really remember).

jamesflorraine Sep 5th 2013 10:44 pm

I have just tried to source a route from Brisbane to Taipei and was then looking to get something from Taipei to the USA, but my KVS tool informs me that the Brisbane to Taipei route is to complex even though Eve airway fly from Brisbane, and are in the Star Alliance Group anybody help

bcworld Sep 5th 2013 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Almo (Post 10887281)
Shame, he said it was great and I was quite envious of the food options! It was May 2011 I think, and a single seat at fairly short notice. I seem to vaguely remember reading some discussion on FT that NZ seats were released much closer in than other airlines (or perhaps that more were released closer in? I can't really remember).

Used to be the case. Then NZ introduced a bidding for upgrades system for Airpoints members and it pretty much dried up *A availability even at short notice.

Originally Posted by jamesflorraine (Post 10887967)
I have just tried to source a route from Brisbane to Taipei and was then looking to get something from Taipei to the USA, but my KVS tool informs me that the Brisbane to Taipei route is to complex even though Eve airway fly from Brisbane, and are in the Star Alliance Group anybody help

Works for me, seems like it's only twice a week though - Wed / Sat.

Use the 7 day search method.

[KVS Availability Tool 7.2.4/Diamond - Awards/StarAlliance-7D]
Code:

BNE  Brisbane Intl QL AU [YBBN]
TPE  Taipei Metro / Taiwan Taoyuan Intl TW = TPE TSA [RCTP]
MON  16 Sep 2013 (16 Sep 2013 - 22 Sep 2013) | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
BR        316    BNE  22:30    TPE  05:30 +1  332  0
BR        316    BNE  22:30 +1  TPE  05:30 +2  ***  0
BR        316    BNE  22:30 +2  TPE  05:30 +3  ***  0  FS/  CS+  YS-
BR        316    BNE  22:30 +3  TPE  05:30 +4  ***  0
BR        316    BNE  22:30 +4  TPE  05:30 +5  ***  0
BR        316    BNE  22:30 +5  TPE  05:30 +6  ***  0  FS/  CS-  YS-
BR        316    BNE  22:30 +6  TPE  05:30 +7  ***  0

Bermudashorts Sep 10th 2013 1:52 am

Off topic but I know the airline gurus will see it if I post here ...

My husband has an economy flight with Qantas booked to UK and has a pending upgrade request (upgrade on points) sitting there. Will he only know immediately before the flight whether he will get upgraded or could it be upgraded at any time?

Also do these upgrade requests often get granted? He has the points obviously and it platinum level, if that makes a difference?

bcworld Sep 10th 2013 2:35 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 10893519)
Off topic but I know the airline gurus will see it if I post here ...

My husband has an economy flight with Qantas booked to UK and has a pending upgrade request (upgrade on points) sitting there. Will he only know immediately before the flight whether he will get upgraded or could it be upgraded at any time?

Also do these upgrade requests often get granted? He has the points obviously and it platinum level, if that makes a difference?

They typically don't clear until less than 24 hours before departure...although for Platinum I think it's 48 hours. Platinum should be first in the queue.

I managed an upgrade all the way LHR-MEL as a bronze which I was pretty chuffed about. Got an SMS about 18 hours before departure I think.

SUPERCAD Sep 10th 2013 8:05 am

whats the consensus on Dividend miles is it still staff to buy them for a trip next year?

Bermudashorts Sep 10th 2013 8:06 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 10893557)
They typically don't clear until less than 24 hours before departure...although for Platinum I think it's 48 hours. Platinum should be first in the queue.

I managed an upgrade all the way LHR-MEL as a bronze which I was pretty chuffed about. Got an SMS about 18 hours before departure I think.

Cheers BC.

bcworld Sep 11th 2013 1:08 am

Originally Posted by SUPERCAD (Post 10893754)
whats the consensus on Dividend miles is it still staff to buy them for a trip next year?

Everyone has a different level of time, effort & understanding they're prepared to invest into this. Personally I have no worries about holding US miles as I'll find a way to use them regardless of what happens. Others may be less flexible or run into difficulties.

treefingers Sep 11th 2013 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by treefingers (Post 10881278)
They have expired I have until the end of this month to pay the $400, I have sent them an email asking if buying more will reactivate the account.

Just an update after a couple of emails back & fourth I got told that if I buy more miles then that will reinstate my existing ones. So I just purchased 1000, i'll leave it a couple of days then confirm with them that my entire balance (121,000) is active.

SUPERCAD Sep 13th 2013 2:42 am

does anyone know when/if Thai Air will start doing first class out of Brisbane?

bcworld Sep 13th 2013 2:49 am

Originally Posted by SUPERCAD (Post 10898723)
does anyone know when/if Thai Air will start doing first class out of Brisbane?

Not going to happen.

What are your Star Alliance options out of BNE:

NZ - don't have F class
Eva - don't have F class
Singapore - unlikely to bring F class to Brisbane, if they did US wouldn't let you book it
Thai - well you never know but the F service was only offered in conjunction with SYD - the timetable is a lot different now. Very unlikely they'll send an F class plane back to Brisbane.

The only F option we have in MEL is United and that is rarely available. So essentially if you want to fly in F, you go to SYD and fly TG or maybe Air China.

SUPERCAD Sep 13th 2013 3:10 am

I came home yesterday on Swiss air and Thai Air and Thai do a better J class in my opinion. i would like to try the F class