British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/business-class-airfares-uk-europe-approx-%242700-%242800-rtn-653462/)

Ballys Jul 18th 2013 5:00 pm

Re: Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

When I first came across this thread I was somewhat skeptical... there must be a catch, too good to be true. I signed up for LifeMiles and purchased 70,000 points each for myself and my wife using the 2 for 1 promo deal. I booked a return business class flight Perth/BKK/Paris for this August, paying the difference with cash. The total was $2800 each. Unfortunately my wife became unwell and is unable travel. I applied for a refund after taking advice from BC World and have just received a full refund of points, taxes will be paid back soon. LifeMiles have been excellent and would have no problems recommending them on here. Also many thanks to BC World.

louie Jul 26th 2013 5:15 am

Originally Posted by louie (Post 10791274)
Hi all. I've just booked flights for my in-law's bridesmaid to make a surprise appearance at their diamond wedding anniversary lunch in September :D. First class on Thai too!

She'll need to fly ADL - SYD to connect with the flights, not sure which airline yet. How long should we allow between arriving from ADL and leaving for BKK (and vice versa)?

Oh dear. Thai have cancelled the afternoon flight and put her on the morning one which leaves at 10.00 which is a right pain as I think that means a night in Sydney. Fortunately I haven't got around to booking ADL - SYD. Need to check the timetables, but what is the latest she could arrive at SYD domestic to get a 10.00 flight out of international?

Coming back, she is due to land at 07.20. What do you think is the earliest safe departure time to ADL?

Thanks all.....

bcworld Jul 26th 2013 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by louie (Post 10820657)
Need to check the timetables, but what is the latest she could arrive at SYD domestic to get a 10.00 flight out of international?

Picking a day at random on Webjet there was nothing arriving into SYD before 0825...so that's just not feasible...it will have to be an overnight stay.

Rydges has just opened at the international terminal, maybe check out the rates there. Probably a bit more expensive than some other options but from a simplicity point of view should be ideal.

http://www.rydges.com/accommodation/...port/welcome//

keefymonster Jul 27th 2013 8:29 pm

What would you recommend?

BKK > FRA 1st on the A340 or,
BKK > CDG 1st on the A380

bcworld Jul 27th 2013 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by keefymonster (Post 10822825)
What would you recommend?

BKK > FRA 1st on the A340 or,
BKK > CDG 1st on the A380

A380 of course!

keefymonster Jul 27th 2013 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 10822834)
A380 of course!

;o)

spouse of scouse Aug 1st 2013 2:37 am

I feel like I've won Lotto, have just received a 100% bonus email. Now to go back through this thread to make sure I don't bugger up the purchases. This will help us so much as my husband had to fly home unexpectedly a month ago as his brother was very ill. He's stable for now but sadly that won't always be the case, so Bill's coming home in a couple of weeks and then we'll both fly over in 3 - 6 months to spend some time with his brother.

For various reasons we can't handle long haul flights in economy so fly business, but 3 return business class airfares in a short time would hurt. bcworld, I could kiss you - thanks so much.

spouse of scouse Aug 1st 2013 2:59 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 10830298)
I feel like I've won Lotto, have just received a 100% bonus email. Now to go back through this thread to make sure I don't bugger up the purchases. This will help us so much as my husband had to fly home unexpectedly a month ago as his brother was very ill. He's stable for now but sadly that won't always be the case, so Bill's coming home in a couple of weeks and then we'll both fly over in 3 - 6 months to spend some time with his brother.

For various reasons we can't handle long haul flights in economy so fly business, but 3 return business class airfares in a short time would hurt. bcworld, I could kiss you - thanks so much.

Oh :frown: No emailed offer for my husband. I might hold off and see if he gets one, not much point if it's just one of us.

spouse of scouse Aug 1st 2013 3:11 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 10830322)
Oh :frown: No emailed offer for my husband. I might hold off and see if he gets one, not much point if it's just one of us.

Hey, it doesn't matter that he didn't get an email, logged into his account, clicked on 'buy miles' and the bonus offer's available for him too. Happy days! (sorry for dribbling on :o )

louie Aug 1st 2013 4:54 am

Unlike last month's offer, this one is open to all (you can see the offer before you log in).

Bear in mind you will need to book before US withdraws from Star Alliance after they merge with AA if you want to fly on Star Alliance and also that once you have started your journey you won't be able to make any changes, which is not so helpful if you are visiting due to ill health.

Latest guesses to when US will leave Star seem to be either 1 November or 1 January.

roaringmouse Aug 1st 2013 6:07 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 10830298)
I feel like I've won Lotto, have just received a 100% bonus email.

I got two 100% offer emails - one from US Airways (only 30,000-50,000 miles for the 100% offer though), and one 3 hours later from LifeMiles.

Still Game Aug 1st 2013 9:46 am

Ok, so after 8 months we finally have the 100% offer. Yay.

I'm going to buy 50k and gift for both my and OH accounts.

I understand how this all works and have read the pages, I cannot however get any of the programs to work on my nor OH's pc, to check flights availability however.

Any other suggestions? We're wanting to fly London to Perth May/June next year. Dates aren't important.

Thanks for any advice.

bcworld Aug 1st 2013 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Still Game (Post 10830856)
Ok, so after 8 months we finally have the 100% offer. Yay.

I'm going to buy 50k and gift for both my and OH accounts.

I understand how this all works and have read the pages, I cannot however get any of the programs to work on my nor OH's pc, to check flights availability however.

Any other suggestions? We're wanting to fly London to Perth May/June next year. Dates aren't important.

Thanks for any advice.

You shouldn't have any issues using the award travel search here:

https://www.united.com

Remember to consider searching each sector separately.

I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but due diligence and all that...for anyone considering booking flights well into the future using US miles...bear in mind that we don't know what issues might occur in the future should schedule changes occur. If US leaves Star Alliance on 1st Jan, and, for example, Thai Airways cancels a daily service (a fairly regular occurrence) on 1st Apr...there is no guarantee that US will be able to rearrange travel on Thai or other Star Alliance carriers to fix the reservation - there's a chance the only option could be a refund. Just something to bear in mind - consider LifeMiles too.

spouse of scouse Aug 1st 2013 12:10 pm

[QUOTE=louie;10830534]Unlike last month's offer, this one is open to all (you can see the offer before you log in)..[/QUOTE

I always expect to win first division and end up with fifth :lol:

Thanks for the tips Louie, and you too bcworld. Have done the buy and gift thing so my husband's account now has 121,000 miles in it, doing mine today.

MeinMel Aug 1st 2013 12:22 pm

LifeMiles or US dividend Miles? I've received offer from both...