Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Old Jun 26th 2014, 9:13 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Business Class Airfares to UK / Europe - approx $2700 - $2800 rtn!

Originally Posted by louie
Sorry to hear about your plans being mucked up.

Can I just check I am reading this right? It says changes as of 24 June in the title, but the changes aren't really until 26 October are they? Mate is flying into Sydney on 15 October, back to BKK on 21 October, so he won't be affected will he?
The information was published on 24 June...it relates to the winter schedule which starts on 26 Oct.

I actually had a call with a hilarious guy from TG about this...he is trying to get me the last seat on the morning flight which would connect to my LHR flight...he thinks it will be difficult to convince head office but somehow I think it's going to happen.
Old Jun 26th 2014, 11:49 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
They moved me to business class a day later which means I arrive in Bangkok about 22 hours after my flight to London has left!
I have dealt with the most helpful person ever at TG and this is now resolved. They gave me the last seat available on TG476 with an offer of accommodation for the 9 hour layover at BKK. They are going to try and work with Avianca (LifeMiles) to reissue the ticket so that I don't have to. Service+++ on this occasion!
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to all

I would love some help and/or suggestions with an itinerary please folks. I knew what I was doing with Star Alliance but just spent a couple of hours failing with the BA & Qantas searches & wondering where I am going wrong or if availability just isn't there.
I am looking for a seat for one adult leaving from Sydney (but will fly to another Oz city if it helps) going to London (prefer LHR but LGW will do). Want to leave around 16th Oct (can be flexible by 4 days either way) and spend about 3 weeks, so come back around 8 Nov (again, flexible). I have a big stash of US Miles & can go Business or First. Getting there on 16th Oct doesn't seem to be a problem but getting back does - only downgrades on offer. Suggestions for alternative routes gratefully received :-)

Last edited by Lisa and Martin; Jul 3rd 2014 at 2:27 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 10:48 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by Lisa and Martin
I would love some help and/or suggestions with an itinerary please folks. I knew what I was doing with Star Alliance but just spent a couple of hours failing with the BA & Qantas searches & wondering where I am going wrong or if availability just isn't there.
I am looking for a seat for one adult leaving from Sydney (but will fly to another Oz city if it helps) going to London (prefer LHR but LGW will do). Want to leave around 16th Oct (can be flexible by 4 days either way) and spend about 3 weeks, so come back around 8 Nov (again, flexible). I have a big stash of US Miles & can go Business or First. Getting there on 16th Oct doesn't seem to be a problem but getting back does - only downgrades on offer. Suggestions for alternative routes gratefully received :-)
[KVS Availability Tool 7.3.9/Diamond - Awards/BA-OneWorld]
Code:
LHR  London Heathrow UK [EGLL]
DXB  Dubai Metro / Dubai Intl AE = DXB DWC [OMDB]
SUN  09 Nov 2014 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive         St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------------
QF         10      LHR   12:35     DXB   23:30              FS0  CS1  WS2  YS9
BA         107     LHR   12:45     DXB   23:35              FS1  CS0  WS0  YS9
Code:
DXB  Dubai Metro / Dubai Intl AE = DXB DWC [OMDB]
SYD  Sydney Kingsford Smith NS AU [YSSY]
MON  10 Nov 2014 | 1 Seat

QF         2       DXB   09:55     SYD   06:50 +1           FS1  CS0  WS0  YS9
If you take the BA First sector you'll have to pay a few hundred bucks in fuel surcharges.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 12:06 am
Frequent Flyer Member

2 for 1 on LifeMiles transfers til July 17. (USD15 per 1000)

https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/tra/pr...f.aspx?D=DOF81
Old Jul 4th 2014, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

Lisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to all

Thanks so much BC, have now downloaded KVSTool again - seems that's the only way to go for a definitive answer....I'm trying to book those seats but the call centres are backed up due to weather conditions in the US, having no luck getting through. As for fuel surcharges, I'll just have to drink my weight in champagne to compensate for them.
I notice your screen shot gives the number of seats available, mine just gives a plus or minus next to the class type - what do I have to do to see the numbers?
Old Jul 4th 2014, 9:35 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by Lisa and Martin
I notice your screen shot gives the number of seats available, mine just gives a plus or minus next to the class type - what do I have to do to see the numbers?
It depends which method you use. If you use Awards/OneWorld you only get + or -. If you use the BA or JL OneWorld methods it shows you how many seats are available. You'll need a BA or JL account to use either.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, I've got BA so I'll try that. You're a gem :-)
Old Jul 5th 2014, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

Spent 4 hours trying to get through yesterday but no luck (bad weather in US, phone systems jammed). That seat on the QF2 now gone :-( Trying alternative routings but not coming up with anything...further inspiration gratefully received.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 3:16 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Code:
KUL  Kuala Lumpur Metro / Intl MY = KUL SZB [WMKK]
SAT  08 Nov 2014 | 1 Seat

BA         428     LHR   06:55     AMS   09:15              FS/  CS9  WS/  YS9
 -> MH     17      AMS   12:00     KUL   07:00 +1           FS/  CS+  WS/  YS+
Code:

MH         141     KUL   09:00     SYD   20:15              FS/  CS1  WS/  YS2
Or if you want an F sector on the MH A380 and are happy to spend some hours in KL.

Code:

BA         304     LHR   07:20     CDG   09:40              CS9  WS/  YS9
 -> MH     21      CDG   12:00     KUL   07:00 +1           FS+  CS-  WS/  YS+
Code:
MON  10 Nov 2014 | 1 Seat

MH         123     KUL   23:30     SYD   10:45 +1           FS/  CS1  WS/  YS2
Old Jul 5th 2014, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

I grovel at your feet BC, you are my hero. I am learning a bit more each time, I'd tried that routing but didn't know to switch the 'Method' setting from Awards / Oneworld to Awards / BA - so these flights weren't showing. All booked now, couldn't have done it without you :-) Thankyou so much.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bcworld
2 for 1 on LifeMiles transfers til July 17. (USD15 per 1000)

https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/tra/pr...f.aspx?D=DOF81
Bcworld, can I have tonight's lottery numbers, next year's grand national winner and your view on the likelihood of a 100% bonus on buying lifemiles within the next couple of months? I have no lifemiles although I know I could buy then transfer back and forth, and need 166k, that's with the max money possible. Not sure whether to jump on this or not (and cope with the inevitable meltdown from my bank over repeated transactions). Looking at a multicity for April 2015.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 3:04 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by Almo
Bcworld, can I have tonight's lottery numbers, next year's grand national winner and your view on the likelihood of a 100% bonus on buying lifemiles within the next couple of months? I have no lifemiles although I know I could buy then transfer back and forth, and need 166k, that's with the max money possible. Not sure whether to jump on this or not (and cope with the inevitable meltdown from my bank over repeated transactions). Looking at a multicity for April 2015.
Not sure, there's a reasonable chance of another buy promo I suppose, although one thing counting against that is the fact that in their comms about the last buy promo, they let it be known that the standard price of miles will rise 10% on Oct 1 to USD33/1000. So perhaps the next buy might not be til after the price rise.

I'd be a little cautious about the 166k as well. You may be limited to 150k per calendar year including bonus miles. 2 accounts might be safer buying but trickier booking of course.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 4:29 am
Just Joined

markfisher61 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I've been lurking on this thread since December 2013, as I was intending to make a big trip when I finished my degree in May this year. I therefore took advantage of various US Air Dividend Miles promos and now have 200,250 miles. My itinerary is London, North Carolina, Buenos Aires , Perth (Australia).

At the time I was intending to make a Star Miles round-the-world booking for 200,000 miles in business (or buy more miles and go First for 300,000). However illness delayed my degree and prevented my booking until now. I tried to keep up with the change-over to OneWorld...the awards looked reasonable, e.g. UK to US for 100,000 miles. But I just went online and I need 220,000 miles for UK-US return *alone*! In other words more miles than it was going to cost to go round the world.

This seems to mean I have wasted several thousand dollars on buying these miles.

Have they really more than doubled how many miles you need? Or have I missed something along the way with all these changes?
Old Jul 8th 2014, 4:40 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by markfisher61
Hi, I've been lurking on this thread since December 2013, as I was intending to make a big trip when I finished my degree in May this year. I therefore took advantage of various US Air Dividend Miles promos and now have 200,250 miles. My itinerary is London, North Carolina, Buenos Aires , Perth (Australia).

At the time I was intending to make a Star Miles round-the-world booking for 200,000 miles in business (or buy more miles and go First for 300,000). However illness delayed my degree and prevented my booking until now. I tried to keep up with the change-over to OneWorld...the awards looked reasonable, e.g. UK to US for 100,000 miles. But I just went online and I need 220,000 miles for UK-US return *alone*! In other words more miles than it was going to cost to go round the world.

This seems to mean I have wasted several thousand dollars on buying these miles.

Have they really more than doubled how many miles you need? Or have I missed something along the way with all these changes?
I think you're in a world of confusion here!

First up, *A RTW in business was always 300k and first 400k. I don't see it on the award chart anymore so perhaps it's no longer available?

As for looking online, you should ignore any numbers you see there. You are seeing various levels of US/AA awards that are confusing you. Stick to the numbers displayed on the award chart:

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/Resou...wardtravel.pdf

None of the numbers relevant to most of us have changed since this thread started...it's long overdue actually and will happen one day...for all those sitting on stashes of miles (like me).

You might need to compromise on your itinerary and book some side trips separately if you wish to visit all the places you mention. Some rules to bear in mind, none of which are new:
  • Your itinerary can have ONE stopover in addition to the destination
  • You can't travel from Europe to Australia via North America

Last edited by bcworld; Jul 8th 2014 at 4:42 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.